Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A second 22 Pistol Licence

Options
  • 23-06-2021 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Folks a quick one, I have a 1911 a Colt (Walther) one. I have come across A GSG 1911, I’m wondering would it be hassle or genuine reason not to get a second one from the Guards point of view. It did take 12 months to get the licence originalLy and several ratty phone calls with a Super and one with a chief super. Neither wanted to give it and neither knew legislation and did not like being reminded they were breaching regulation. However, is there any legitimate reason I could not get a second Pistol 22 licence. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

madmac187 wrote: »
    Folks a quick one, I have a 1911 a Colt (Walther) one. I have come across A GSG 1911, I’m wondering would it be hassle or genuine reason not to get a second one from the Guards point of view. It did take 12 months to get the licence originalLy and several ratty phone calls with a Super and one with a chief super. Neither wanted to give it and neither knew legislation and did not like being reminded they were breaching regulation. However, is there any legitimate reason I could not get a second Pistol 22 licence. Thanks in advance.

That all depends on how good the reasons for you to have that particular gun are.

Is it specifically set up to shoot a different discipline and would setting up your existing gun for both be completely impractical ?

If so you would have a reasonable argument to look for a license and you’d have a fair chance of success. If it’s to do more of the same and just because you want another gun it will make it a lot easier to refuse and harder for you to argue the need for having it.

Dud you have any guns before you got the pistol ? If you didn’t there’s another fundamental difference, you’ve jumped all the hoops once before.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭madmac187

Oh yeah, have other stuff, the security etc and membership of Tullamore. What would the excuse to use be out of interest lol?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Why not buy it, keep it on the range, and forego the licensing altogether?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Off the top of my head if you had one setup as a stock gun, and the other intended for "open" categories, ie optics, muzzle brake/compensator, etc then that may satisfy good reason as you'd essentially have 1 pistol for each category of competition?

I also know that some shooting competitions and courses recommend you bring a backup gun, in case your primary one fails and is irreparable in the field.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm applying for a second pistol licence next week. I'll let you know how I get on.

My reason for the second pistol is as outlined in the post above. The pistol I have isn't designed to have an optic fitted so I use this for pistol comps where iron sights are the only ones allowed.

The other pistol I want to licence has a rail fitted and is perfect for mounting an optic such as a red dot sight. I can use this in the 'open' category where I would be up against others with similar optics.

It usually takes the full three months to get a licence down here so it might be a while before I can give you an update. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭badaj0z

Walther is owned by GSG. Walther used to have a reputation for quality and accuracy like Anschutz. GSG are known for making Airsofts and cheap firearms and buying older quality brands to add value to what they sell. You may be better off buying one good quality pistol instead of two less expensive ones and save all the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

badaj0z wrote: »
    Walther is owned by GSG. Walther used to have a reputation for quality and accuracy like Anschutz. GSG are known for making Airsofts and cheap firearms and buying older quality brands to add value to what they sell. You may be better off buying one good quality pistol instead of two less expensive ones and save all the hassle.

Or more like,GSG is paying a liscense fee to use Walthers and Colts name on their pot metal products.
    Worse is Umarex,they make airsoft,blank firing stuff and airguns,and then .22 firearms,which can be horrible things made from pot metal.No biggie to get repaired in the EU,but a pain if you have to repair here, and shift backwards and forwards from Germany.
    As said buy good quality once.Cry once .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement