Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words no longer used.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's ironic, but you don't see the word Aparchaiomenlogism used at all any more*

From the Greek "απαρχαιωμένος" (meaning "obsolete") + logism, (referring to a word)

probably because I just made it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

All the words so far are fairly common around my neck of the woods, except perhaps Joe Cuddy, I only know a Jack Cuddy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Crapulence

Easily the most amazing synonym for “hungover,” crapulence comes from the Latin word crapula, which just means “hungover.”

Why we thought saying “I’m super hungover” sounded better than, “I’m completely crapulent right now,” I will never know.

I think we should bring it back.
    Personally I'd say your indolence is inefficacious since with Smithers out of the way I was free to wallow in my own crapulence.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Horrid. As in the bog version. "Jayse, the hate is horrid Jimmy......... splittin the stones out so it is"

The posh version has the same meaning and probably heard on Downton Abbey and the like "Oh Charlotte, he was simply horrid to me all evening, really beastly. I shan't ever forget it"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Tinkers (meaning travelers).

Always tinkers when I was young, not any more though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Plans. All roadmaps now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Personally I'd say your indolence is inefficacious since with Smithers out of the way I was free to wallow in my own crapulence.

That reminds me of a phrase I haven't heard in years.

Indolent torpidity.

It sort of fits my state a lot of the time.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Haven’t heard ‘cat malogen’ used in a long time.

The mother in law would use that one often enough, rural Limerick, 'the weather is cat malogen!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Cringeworthy. It's mostly been replaced by cringey. I still persevere in using cringeworthy though. It's far more satisfying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

All the words so far are fairly common around my neck of the woods, except perhaps Joe Cuddy, I only know a Jack Cuddy.

My contribution is "oft" which bizarrely has often been dropped in favour of the longer version.

I hate the word 'oft'. There's something a bit precious about it. It was never commonly used though, at least in any of my circles. Often was alway used far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Prithee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Antidisestablishmentarianism

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the "shores" instead of "drains", IE the shore's blocked again, I haven't heard in while. Bowler for a dog was another. Though I think both are/were more Dublin based.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Dammo

Twice seems to be gone.

I regularly scream its twice at the TV screen when someone says two times.

Three times I can live with.

Jim Morrison singing ’Love Me Twice’ doesn’t seem right though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Discotheque.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Fairy cakes, its all muffins now.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

That and contrafibularity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's all about pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis now

Muleteer
    Condottiero/i
    Gewgaws
    Hark
    Fiacra
    Lacedaemonian
    Filch
    Miasma

As in, hark! There's a miasma of Lacedaemonian condottieri filching muleteers away in the gewgaws fiacra!

People were always saying stupid shit like that, back in the old days. Maybe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You don't hear Gurrier so often any more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Rig out, as in an entire outfit.

Tog out

Togged out

Set Jon Up

Offer it up.

Grit your teeth. (Millenials are more comfort creatures)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Snogging, courting, thrice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

'going steady' in reference to a couple 'courting' or 'doing a line', i guess the latter has come to mean something else these days.

Wibbs wrote: »

Or Scallywag

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

On that theme

Rapscallion

Wake me up when it's all over.

Not a fan of Liveline?

It does be wall-to-wall gurriers and young pups.

The habitual present, "does be", that's another one. I do be using that now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

branie2 wrote: »
    Thy
    Thou
    Thee

Around parts of Yorkshire you'd still here some folks talking like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

the "shores" instead of "drains", IE the shore's blocked again, I haven't heard in while. Bowler for a dog was another. Though I think both are/were more Dublin based.

Ha! 90 year old mother in law used that very word the other night , asking my daughter if she still had the foster greyhound. Poor 30 year old daughter had no idea what granny was talking about. Although, I've never heard the m.i.l. using that word before, in the 47 years I've known her.

Cohort! I fcuking hate that word, seems to be all over Irish media, never hear it on UK media!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Parlour

Advertisement