Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is is Martin scorcese universally acknowledged as the worlds greatest director?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

The opening scene alone of Once Upon Time in the West is better than anything Martin Scorsese has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

He has had my unwavering respect ever since he called out those Superheroes movies for the bollocks they are.

I will say though, Gangs of New York was absolute muck. Mean Streets makes up for it though.

Marvel is the best thing in modern cinema.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mecrab wrote: »

By what measure "best"? Genuinely curious

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

Brian? wrote: »
    By what measure "best"? Genuinely curious

If he just means commercial success, then undoubtably yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

No one here is yet to cite John Ford yet as the greatest director. He is Irish and considered by Bergman and Welles to be the greatest director, period.

Born in Cape Elizabeth, County Maine.

• Advertisement

Born in Cape Elizabeth, County Maine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ford

Read his biography. He is full blooded Irish descended from Irish royalty.

Mecrab wrote: »

get-out.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

No one here is yet to cite John Ford yet as the greatest director. He is Irish and considered by Bergman and Welles to be the greatest director, period.

This is an excellent set - my favourite BD label.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭pavb2

buried wrote: »
    Stanley Kubrick for me. Every single film he made is just so brilliantly made and crafted. Kubrick's films also have the genius effect of incorporating the audiences different biases and emotions into his motion picture creations. Especially the later works. Different people in the audience get different reactions and emotions to what is being portrayed on the screen. For example, a good 70% of 'The Shining' for me is a total black comedy.

I remember watching Barry Lyndon for the first time the story, characters, settings costumes and music make the film a work of art

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    If there's a single weakness to 'Barry Lyndon', it's Ryan O'Neil. How he got the gig I'll never know. Although he grates on you less and less as the movie plays out.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    If there's a single weakness to 'Barry Lyndon', it's Ryan O'Neil. How he got the gig I'll never know. Although he grates on you less and less as the movie plays out.

It just shows how great the film is that I can ignore his horrible Irish accent.

I saw Barry Lyndon in the Savoy screen 1 as part of JDIFF a few years ago. It absolutely blew me away on the big screen. I'd only ever watched on tv before.

Ryan O'Neill did a Q&A as well, he's an odd fella

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

pavb2 wrote: »
    I remember watching Barry Lyndon for the first time the story, characters, settings costumes and music make the film a work of art

Barry Lyndon is my favourite film of Kubrick's. Its just so brilliant and immersive. There are parts of that story towards the final acts of the film, they are so emotional, and they are so effective to go with it because Kubrick literally has your mindset entwined with Lyndon's, almost as if you were him in that story, that all this stuff could have happened to you if you were in the same position. No heroes, no villains, its just life as it could and will happen to everybody.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

+1 For Barry Lyndon.

I know it's a renowned movie, but it's still slightly underrated I think. It doesn't have the recognition of 2001, Dr Strangelove, The Shining, Clockwork Orange or Full Metal Jacket. I know several people who'd consider themselves film buffs who have never watched it. But, I think its reputation is gradually increasing all the time.

I can never fully decide if Ryan O' Neal is crap or perfect in the movie. He feels like a bit of a blank at times, but that seems true to an aspect of the character, that he's an unknowable chameleon, a deceptive opportunist, and he's not really bad in any scene where he has to deliver a performance to sell it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Muppet Man wrote: »
    would tarrantino get a look in at all? Pulp fiction one of my all time favourite movies.
    Used to confuse him with Robert Rodriguez since they work together.

El Mariachi is one of my favourite no-budget films

Peter Jackson's Bad Taste is another

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

No love for william friedkin ???
    The French connection, sorcerer, to live and die and la……killer Joe !!!!

And cruising !!!

And cruising !!!

And The Brink's Job - great fun

And The Brink's Job - great fun

Is it actually ? I haven’t seen it

It just shows how great the film is that I can ignore his horrible Irish accent.

I saw Barry Lyndon in the Savoy screen 1 as part of JDIFF a few years ago. It absolutely blew me away on the big screen. I'd only ever watched on tv before.

Ryan O'Neill did a Q&A as well, he's an odd fella

It doesn't take from the film too badly and everything else is damn near perfect. But still, how the hell did that happen? I know O'Neal was hot stuff on the back of 'Paper Moon', but really.

The supporting cast all tear him apart, even the minor roles, although I do think he does well with respect to Redmond Barry's personality (he's a bit of a knob).

And cruising !!!

Friedkin to some seems like a pastiche of French New Wave movies.

It doesn't take from the film too badly and everything else is damn near perfect. But still, how the hell did that happen? I know O'Neal was hot stuff on the back of 'Paper Moon', but really.

The supporting cast all tear him apart, even the minor roles, although I do think he does well with respect to Redmond Barry's personality (he's a bit of a knob).

I've no idea how he got the part, I seriously doubt it was because he was popular at the time. It would Bennett un Kubrick to pick someone because of popularity.

Redmond Barry is a cad and a bounder of the highest order. But a relatively soft one. O'Neill plays that brilliantly

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

I've no idea how he got the part, I seriously doubt it was because he was popular at the time. It would Bennett un Kubrick to pick someone because of popularity.

Redmond Barry is a cad and a bounder of the highest order. But a relatively soft one. O'Neill plays that brilliantly

I think Kubrick cast him perfectly for the role B & T. Ryan O'Neal constantly has this look on his face of constant bewilderment, almost like he doesn't know what he's doing there either, much like the character himself. Constantly caught in the headlights of life.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And cruising !!!
    I want to watch Sorcerer but I've to watch The Wages Of Fear first.,

Is it actually ? I haven’t seen it

I really enjoyed it. Very well shot - Boston 1950 and looks very authentic. Decent caper movie with good cast.

I'd wonder if Kubrick was the main reason behind his casting though. He was having trouble with financing and maybe the studio insisted on a hot ticket star.

Either way, it remains a bit of a mystery just how he ended up with the part.

buried wrote: »
    I think Kubrick cast him perfectly for the role B & T. Ryan O'Neal constantly has this look on his face of constant bewilderment, almost like he doesn't know what he's doing there either, much like the character himself. Constantly caught in the headlights of life.

I agree.

I just found some trivia on IMDb though. Apparently Warner bros were worried about the mass appeal of the film. So they insisted whoever played the title role had to be in the top10 selling actors in 1973. Only Redford and O’Neal were Irish looking and Redford was too old.

I wonder if that’s true.

they/them/theirs

I want to watch Sorcerer but I've to watch The Wages Of Fear first.,

You don't really have to watch them in any particular order.

TBH, I'd say watch the Friedkin movie. It's kinda its own thing. Plus there are scenes in that blow the Clouzot one out of the water. The 50's movie will always be a classic, but I think 'Sorcerer' is probably the better film.

I really enjoyed it. Very well shot - Boston 1950 and looks very authentic. Decent caper movie with good cast.

It’s on the list

You don't really have to watch them in any particular order.

TBH, I'd say watch the Friedkin movie. It's kinda its own thing. Plus there are scenes in that blow the Clouzot one out of the water. The 50's movie will always be a classic, but I think 'Sorcerer' is probably the better film.

And don’t forget sorcerer has a tangerine dream soundtrack

And don’t forget sorcerer has a tangerine dream soundtrack

I'm listening to it right now.

• Advertisement

I'm listening to it right now.

Can’t beat the tangerine

Advertisement