Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is is Martin scorcese universally acknowledged as the worlds greatest director?

Options
  • 12-06-2021 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I would be embarrassed collecting an award with him around

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Any award?

I think he’d have been pleased for me collecting my under 11s player of the year award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

I was imagining going to up to collect an award while thinking about Goodfellas

I would be saying like wtf am u doing here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Double Yes.

The writer, director and lead actor of this genre-defying epic would like to have a word...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12975804/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

Best described as Goodfellas the movie meets Goodfellas the TV pizza ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

Of all the people I don't know he is the most amazing

Goodfellas just blew my mind

And then the movie about the boxer

He is so outstanding that he's got like a piece of my head

• Advertisement

He has had my unwavering respect ever since he called out those Superheroes movies for the bollocks they are.

I will say though, Gangs of New York was absolute muck. Mean Streets makes up for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

He's picked some great subject matter and is forever linked with De Niro in his iconic period. Throw in The Gangs of New York, which I liked, Shutter Island, The Departed and yes, these are great movies as well.

He's Italian American and he's our movie link with the mob and those inglorious times and stories. I have no doubt Killers of the Flower Moon will add to the legacy.

Like Speilberg, he's a lover of film history and the legacy they are continuing. He'd be on my wish list as a dinner party guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

He's probably the best living director. But he's nearing his 80's and his output is becoming sloppier IMO. The Irishman is just full of weird, unpolished moments because it was more concerned with making grand statements about aging, life and being part of a generation nobody remembers anymore. - Contrast this with his old movies which were firmly placed on the pulse of contemporary society.

His movies as of late have been reminiscing abstract concepts like faith and legacy. Even his upcoming movie is an extended metaphor for climate change - under the guise of a 1920s murder mystery (seriously look it up). I feel like his output has been 'above-average' for the past 20-25 years, and he's had some definitive flops like Bringing out the dead and the aviator. Scorsese is not innovative - he tends to follow a formulaic rags-to-riches-to-rags-again' story based on non-fiction novels. What he's good at is picking actors and being really dynamic with the camera, especially during analog film formats when this experimental style could've ended up with blank, underexposed or overexposed images.

The best director of all time is Alfred Hitchcock - Very few people will dispute this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Genre.. wrote: »
    Goodfellas just blew my mind
    Hi Tommy!

Tommy_DeVito_murdered.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm with Chrissy on Kundun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Cal4567 wrote: »
    He's picked some great subject matter and is forever linked with De Niro in his iconic period. Throw in The Gangs of New York, which I liked, Shutter Island, The Departed and yes, these are great movies as well.

He's Italian American and he's our movie link with the mob and those inglorious times and stories. I have no doubt Killers of the Flower Moon will add to the legacy.

Like Speilberg, he's a lover of film history and the legacy they are continuing. He'd be on my wish list as a dinner party guest.

Spielberg isn’t fit to lace the boots of Martin Scorcese.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Go home and get your ****ing shinebox, Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Jaws
    ET
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Jurrasic Park
    Indiana Jones
    Poltergeist
    Schindlers List
    Empire of the Sun
    The Goonies
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Terminal

Just ones I can think of right now. He's done some absolutely brilliant, era defining films.

Scorcese is a fantastic director but Spielberg helped create the childhood memories of many a child.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Jaws
    ET
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Jurrasic Park
    Indiana Jones
    Poltergeist
    Schindlers List
    Empire of the Sun
    The Goonies
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Terminal

Just ones I can think of right now. He's done some absolutely brilliant, era defining films.

Scorcese is a fantastic director but Spielberg helped create the childhood memories of many a child.

Spielberg does have great movies and kids love them (not sure about the terminal) but as a skilled movie maker Scorcese is way ahead. His camerawork is so much more idiosyncratic and immediately recognisable, the same can be said about DePalma, a fellow contemporary of Spielberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Stanley Kubrick has to be in with a bit of a shout? Spartacus, Dr Strangelove, 2001 a space odyssey? Full metal Jacket, a clockwork orange? The Shining?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I just watched Cape Fear last night. I never even heard of it until recently, now I know why.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

My current favourite is Paul Thomas Anderson. Writes and directs. He's created quite the filmography and is still relatively young.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Danny Boyle- shallow grave and trainspotting are incredible movies with an incredible look. A bit like Tarantino I’m not sure they ever scaled those heights after their initial output.

The Irishman was quite dull in its shooting and the intensity of what was on the screen. Intensity is what separated Goodfellas from just another movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

My current favourite is Paul Thomas Anderson. Writes and directs. He's created quite the filmography and is still relatively young.

The Master is probably my favourite cinema experience of the last decade. The frequency and tone of that movie left a huge impression on me. Not to mention the unbelievable on-screen chemistry between Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Must give it a watch again and see do I feel the same way about it a second time around.

There's something brilliant about going to see a movie that's been so carefully made and crafted in the cinema. I really miss that with covid. Netflix and a decent at-home setup plug the gap a little bit, but I really miss a night out at the pictures as my Mam used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I just watched Cape Fear last night. I never even heard of it until recently, now I know why.

Never seen the Simpsons version with Sideshow Bob?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

each director goes through a "peak phase" when they produce their best work

Spielberg seems to have given up to enjoy his life pretty much (he's worth 3.7 billion usd apparently vs 150 mill for MS)

PTA would be very much still in his "peak phase"

Personally I think best director is a bit moot - just enjoy the movies.

Tarantino, Nolan, PTA, Eastwood, Wes Anderson, Iñárritu, Damien Chazelle they have all done good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Shouldn't this be in the films thread in the entertainment forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Never seen the Simpsons version with Sideshow Bob?

Or the original version of the movie, made in the 60's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Coen Brothers worthy of mention. No country for old men is a masterpiece. Miller’s’ crossing also great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He's probably the best living director. But he's nearing his 80's and his output is becoming sloppier IMO. The Irishman is just full of weird, unpolished moments because it was more concerned with making grand statements about aging, life and being part of a generation nobody remembers anymore. - Contrast this with his old movies which were firmly placed on the pulse of contemporary society.

His movies as of late have been reminiscing abstract concepts like faith and legacy. Even his upcoming movie is an extended metaphor for climate change - under the guise of a 1920s murder mystery (seriously look it up). I feel like his output has been 'above-average' for the past 20-25 years, and he's had some definitive flops like Bringing out the dead and the aviator. Scorsese is not innovative - he tends to follow a formulaic rags-to-riches-to-rags-again' story based on non-fiction novels. What he's good at is picking actors and being really dynamic with the camera, especially during analog film formats when this experimental style could've ended up with blank, underexposed or overexposed images.

The best director of all time is Alfred Hitchcock - Very few people will dispute this.

It's disputing time I'm afraid.

For me it's:

1. Kurosawa
    2. Kubrick
    3. Hitchcock
    4. Scorsese
    2582898. Bay

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Genre.. wrote: »
    I would be embarrassed collecting an award with him around

He's great but years he's been nominated for awards, his film wasn't always the best. No great director has a 100% hit rate and Scorsese is no exception.
    glasso wrote: »
    each director goes through a "peak phase" when they produce their best work

Spielberg seems to have given up to enjoy his life pretty much (he's worth 3.7 billion usd apparently vs 150 mill for MS)

PTA would be very much still in his "peak phase"

Personally I think best director is a bit moot - just enjoy the movies.

Tarantino, Nolan, PTA, Eastwood, Wes Anderson, Iñárritu, Damien Chazelle they have all done good stuff

Absolutely. Though I'd say Scorsese is the director that has bucked that trend the most. I think The Wolf Of Wall Street is one his best films and he was north of 70 when he directed it. But, yeah, look at any of the top directors and it's surprising how many duds are in their back catalogues and how their greatest works tend to be in a fairly narrow time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Ah get real, Spielberg is a far better director, even James Cameron has made better films than Scorsese. Goodfellas is his only masterpieces, Scorsese is a tier below the best directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Brian? wrote: »
    It's disputing time I'm afraid.

For me it's:

1. Kurosawa
    2. Kubrick
    3. Hitchcock

They have directed a few good films, none of them great imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Leah Gotti's arse should win a lifetime achievement award.

I could direct an award winning skinny movie with that thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Greyfox wrote: »
    Ah get real, Spielberg is a far better director, even James Cameron has made better films than Scorsese. Goodfellas is his only masterpieces, Scorsese is a tier below the best directors.

Spielberg defined what it is to be a modern film maker in a way no one had done it before. He controlled the entire film in a way that was rarely done before. He deserves credit for that.

However, his output is mass marketed entertainment and rarely rises to the level of great. Schindlers list aside.

Scorsese has made several films that are better each time you watch them. Which is a sign of greatness to me. Even the Irishman, wasn't great but get better on a rewatch

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement