Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

The man has won 3 all Ireland’s and has put together a serious outfit together , limerick are a great team

he does not train any hurling in the school, I think that says everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I dont think it does. He is principal so i wouldnt expect him to be coaching any teams as he'd have enough to do in school. Saying he dispises tipp. bit much and harsh. Saying zero effort to promote hurling. what more would you expect him to do that he hasnt? tipp town would be lot more/as much gaelic, soccer and rugby than hurling would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Jizique

Why would you hold that against him? He is a busy and very successful man. He may find time for it when he steps down from his current role.

the man’s job is principle of a Tipperary town secondary school

that school is attended by people from tipp town and a large surrounding area

that school has a principal who managed limerick to 3 all irelands and looking good for a fourth, the fact he can’t make that school successful in sport is a joke.

he despises not only tipp but the very school he is head of , I know the area very well and it is a running joke in the town

How is it a joke. I know the area fairly well as well. far from a running joke. How are all the clubs doing in the local area as well by the way?

Why is it a joke that the school isnt successful. There is a lot of inter county players who are teachers and do you say the same about them and their schools records in competitions?

Why is it a joke if the abbey isnt succesful at hurling?

West tipp where a large proportion of students attending the abbey will be from isnt the strongest at hurling so therefore the schools in that area wont be the strongest.

• Advertisement

The abbey is not successful at any sport, he is not well liked and the usual comment is that he is never at the school. I lived in the area for 30 years and still work there, it’s a running joke that the man has trained not even one session, i think it’s hilarious

What do you define as successful? It doesnt have to and shouldnt be about winning trophies=successful anyway.

Why should he have to coach sessions anyway? he doesnt have to coach a training session to be involved. he can assist in other ways

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Well for what it's worth I think Tipperary will be competitive and not lose by that much. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Tipperary for all its fine qualities as a county have never been mercifull when on top. I was there in the Gaelic Grounds in 93 when ye couldn't beat Clare by enough...so if Limerick do go to town on Tipperary its not like it's the way Tipp operate.

I cant speak for Kiely in his school roll but I do know The Abbey haven't been anyway serious at hurling for 50 years and that's demographics and hurling in Tipp Town is dire. And Kiely is not the type to be mean or bitter. He loves Tipperary people,said as much many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

No county should ever be merciful when on top. You want to see subs coming on and tearing into it etc.

I think today could be a bloodbath. We need to focus on not conceding goals. Limerick will get 30 points, we will get maybe 20 points, maybe a goal. Thats not too bad once limerick dont add 2 or 3 goals.

Our defence looks ok, but we are very lightweight up front, I think the Limerick backs will devour our forwards.

I take your point. When on top keep going .

Tipp are lightweight upfront. Kehoe and Morris ect are light men. No amount of conditioning can make a naturally small man big. They don't have the frames. It's all down to the start Tipp make. If its the start against Waterford then Tipp will be fine and compete but if its the start against Clare and they fall behind then it could be that bloodbath you speak of. It's some fall since 2019. I for one have never thought that was a soft one. Yes Hogan got sent off early and yes ye didn't have to face Limerick again but I still think ye might have won even facing Limerick again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm a secondary school teacher and haven't worked in or even heard of a school where the principal coaches a team. I wouldn't use that as a yardstick to judge him by.

Nervous for the lads today, hoping they give a good account of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

Isn't Kiely spearheading new facilities for the GAA in Tipp Town? A project involving Arravale and the school?

i lived in the area and still work there, I actually have knowledge on the matter. I know galbally ballylanders aherlow Lattin Emily bansha golden Tipperary town etc etc

There is no need for random people to defend the man, you know nothing of the local or the matters of which I speak. John kiely has worked in that school since 1997, 25 years of poor school teams and kiely was both a good footballer and hurler. What amazes me is in 25 years he never coached any school team

he will take great satisfaction in hammering tipp today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Midfield is a serious problem. Noelie's game management has papered over a lot of cracks for years around the middle.

Cadell is starting in a position today against the best midfield without really ever getting a run of games at midfield. Breen's form has improved since going to teh forwards - listed at midfield now. That's potentially a disaster. The Limerick pairing won't run it up on the board but they will get a grip on a game and control a game. What more do you want from midfield?

Hopefully Cadell drops back to cover space in front of the full back line. And Noelie goes to midfield and we can get 45 to 50 mins from him there and then bring in Dan.

Two inexperienced players up against Byrnes and Morrissey. It will be a school day for these lads. The type of day that makes or breaks a player. As always, it's not about the loss, everybody loses, it's about how you bounce back from it.

The best thing tipp can do today is short pass to backs and then straight into forwards with only 2 upfront , have 12 players back, keep everything very defensive and stop goal chances,

if we can do that we will stop the bloodbath

Isn't that his job? Derby game against the neighbouring rivals? The day a sports person has a big victory against the opposition is what a sports person lives for. It's his right to enjoy the victory as a Limerick manager and his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭farmerval

Best of luck to the lads today. Tough ask, but about time they stand up and fight. The score line should be secondary today to the fight Tipp put up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

That’s absolute the height of horse shít.

The school has won some Musnter B hurling competitions in recent times and this year a Munster B in football. The school can never compete with the likes of Thurles CBS, St Flannans, Ars Scoil Ris etc and putting the blame on Kiely is completely ridiculous.

The area is strong in football but West Tipp and even thise attending from areas like Oola and Palace in Limerick, the catchment area has not produced senior hurlers for years. I’m actually think the last one was Nicky or Pat Fox.

Senior footballers, plenty, but senior hurlers no, and blaming Kiely on ‘his hatred of Tipp’ as a reason for the schools lake of success, is a complete joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Great stuff from Tipp in the first half. Limerick seem to think they just had to turn up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Delighted with the tipp performance. Great fight and heart. Hope they can endure the first ten mins of the second half now.

The lads are putting in a real shift. Hopefully they can keep it going. We were up ten last year and still lost.

Sick with nerves here in the middle of the uncovered stand. Hope the lads can keep it up and restore pride in the jersey and don't get walloped in the 2nd half.

limerick win handy in the end, tipp hurling is in some shambles, limerick only In second gear

very sad we are at this stage, but when you have CB who could not get Cahill to take the job and that can’t get the players physically ready.

what hope have you? None

if cork lose next weekend than we flip a coin for the last game, pointless playing it

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Firstly, well done to the players for at least showing some heart when it would have been easy to roll over.

Don't get me wrong, a very good performance given the circumstances - but still another defeat and we are well on track to lose every game in the Championship this year.

If we lose to Cork this will be the worst year in the history of Tipperary hurling. No other Tipp side has lost 4 Championship games. I don't care what the circumstances are - Tipperary should not be in the business of counting moral victories in hurling.

Our S&C is way, way off what is required.

There needs to be a conversation had over the Summer over the future of Tipperary hurling, and hopefully it will involve some old egos taking a hit and some arrogance swallowed - thank Bonnar for giving the younger players some game time and get in a proper management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thought the lads in put in a great performance and gave it everything.

Bit like the Waterford game we seem to run out of gas for the last 10 minutes and that's starting to become a trend over the last few years. Not sure if it's a fitness issue or lack of a bench but it's something to be looked at.

Two years running now we've had limerick rattled, even with all the players missing we've shown that we have the beating of them. Third quarter we missed a few bad wides and had 2 or 3 big goal chances and took none and with limerick as good as they are you need to take all your chances.

Overall happy enough, younger players continue to impress and are showing the spirit and hunger needed for the top tier.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Gluteus_Maximus

Score line flattered Limerick overall I think. Tipp definitely ran out of steam last 10 minutes whereas Limerick upped it a bit. Tipp made Limerick look ordinary enough for long parts of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp 77

Like a lot of lads here I'm never happy with Tipp losing any game but today they worked hard for each other and never gave up.Seemed like half of limerick was here to pour dirt on our grave but we went down swinging We didn't have anything on the bench to change the game today. That killed us. I was on the 45 in the uncovered stand and Conor Stakelum was in front of us and fair play to him he left everything out there. Same with Ger Browne they just couldn't do it for two halves

A very good 50mins hurling for Tipperary I think. I felt Tipperary would perform and they did. The wides killed ye. If Tipp had gone 5 up it would have asked more questions. The issue of fitness and conditioning is a concern. Once Limerick were level it was game over ,like last year. Pack up and onto the bus. That's mentality aswell. But I thought Tipp were excellent for long patches.

Limerick brought about 22,000 out of the 27,000 today and it wasn't to pour dirt on Tipperarys grave . That's balderdash. They were there to support their team

• Advertisement

Just like the Munster final in 2019 which was the most vile and toxic atmosphere at a game I have ever witnessed

grown men roaring in tipp childrens faces , highly disturbing stuff to witness

Advertisement