Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever painted a house

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Yes, inside and out. Various family houses as a teenager.
    corkgsxr wrote: »
    No its 5 times more work than you think

No it’s not. It’s really easy. People pay house painters for the convenience but it’s not hard work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Thanks for taking the time to explain that..

I had noticed a bit of that hatbanding but I didn't realize it was because the paint was drying at different times. I thought it was because I was only using a small amount of paint on the brush(so that I could get a neat line) and that it just needed an extra layer or two.

I'm still dead proud of my painting attempts because it looks near perfect when it's finished even for an amatuer like me, but i'll definitely try the method you described and see if it cuts out any extra work needed. Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thanks for taking the time to explain that..

I had noticed a bit of that hatbanding but I didn't realize it was because the paint was drying at different times. I thought it was because I was only using a small amount of paint on the brush(so that I could get a neat line) and that it just needed an extra layer or two.

I'm still dead proud of my painting attempts because it looks near perfect when it's finished even for an amatuer like me, but i'll definitely try the method you described and see if it cuts out any extra work needed. Thanks again:)

It's funny how you only notice these things when people point them out, your eye should hopefully go back to not noticing after a while again :D

One thing I used to love doing when I was painting in hospitals was getting a lovely line across the top of walls in the older rooms. The ceilings didn't have a right angle where the wall connected - you had this curve from the wall up into the ceiling - so there was no actual line to cut in when going from the wall colour to the ceiling colour.

You'd have to get a thing called a chalk line.

One guy would stand on a ladder on one end of the wall, the other guy on the other end, both holding the chalk line level on each end.

Quick snap in the middle of the line and it would leave an imprint of a straight line along the top of the wall. You'd then cut in along the chalk line.

Always looked gorgeous when done right! (God the things I get excited about :eek:)

o1s1n wrote: »
    One thing I used to love doing when I was painting in hospitals was getting a lovely line across the top of walls in the older rooms. The ceilings didn't have a right angle where the wall connected - you had this curve from the wall up into the ceiling - so there was no actual line to cut in when going from the wall colour to the ceiling colour.

You'd have to get a thing called a chalk line.

One guy would stand on a ladder on one end of the wall, the other guy on the other end, both holding the chalk line level on each end.

Quick snap in the middle of the line and it would leave an imprint of a straight line along the top of the wall. You'd then cut in along the chalk line.

Always looked gorgeous when done right! (God the things I get excited about :eek:)

cool. I never heard of that before. Is that an old school method or is it still done now too?

I would have thought maybe now something like one of the laser spirit level things might get used for a job like that. I've always wanted one of those. I've no use for it, but i want one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd say a chalk line is still the go to alright, one snap and it's done.

A laser solution would be cool, something that stuck to the wall. I don't think it would work though as your hand would keep obscuring the beam as you cut in along it.

• Advertisement

I'd say a chalk line is still the go to alright, one snap and it's done.

A laser solution would be cool, something that stuck to the wall. I don't think it would work though as your hand would keep obscuring the beam as you cut in along it.

yeah your right It wouldn't work..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’ve painted interior rooms and exterior side walls but not the whole house as I’ve obscenely high artium & stairwell. Got some guys in to do it and they did it ON STILTS!!!! Was totally amazed. They did an impeccable job and I’m hoping to never have to redo it again as I can’t imagine anyone else getting such a quirky space done as crisply or perfectly.

I’ll never be stupid or optimistic enough to do a cealing again. Nightmare even with the ‘pink’ that goes white paint - I have to shut my eyes when I’m in the bath as the bits of painted on masking tape and wonky edges melt my head.

Rooms I’m patient with & do a good job with. I’ve lived and learned with the shaggy rollers thou - they must be for exterior pebbledash on farm-buildings or something - definately not for smooth internal walls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My dad's a painter and decorator, so's my grandad and so was my great grandad. My great grandad actually ran a business with about 30 guys working for him at one point which he passed down to my grandad.

They'd all the ecclesiastical contracts in Dublin back in the day, everything from hospitals to convents, schools - even some laundries! :eek:

Paint rollers were actually banned by unions when they first came out as they cut down on the amount of people required to do a job significantly.

My grandad used to tell me stories about how they'd be using rollers while working for his dad, an inspector would come in and they'd have to hide them and switch back to brushes.

Actually making paint back in those days was mad too. You didn't just go in and buy a colour, you bought a load of components and mixed the colours yourself. They had interestingtricks like using a feather to get marbling effects etc.

So yes I've painted houses, schools, hospitals and all kinds of places. Most interesting was probably a mortuary.

Unfortunately I had notions and decided to buck the trend and study Fine Art Painting after school instead. :pac:

Amazing. You should 100% borrow a camera or recorder and get them talking - I’d say there are incredible stories there. I’d almost do it for you if you wanted .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

But your saying I should be doing just one wall at a time, edges included before I move on to another wall??

This is what you should do.

I’ll never be stupid or optimistic enough to do a cealing again. Nightmare even with the ‘pink’ that goes white paint - I have to shut my eyes when I’m in the bath as the bits of painted on masking tape and wonky edges melt my head.

:D

I done a ceiling once and I said never again! there were spotlights on the ceiling so it wasn't just a case of being able to blow through it. such a hassle.

Although that was years ago so I reckon i'm close to maybe giving it another go. thankfully none need painting at the minute, but whenever they do i'll give it a bash and see if i've the patience for it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

One thing I suggest is that, for the first coat, you roll as much of the wall as possible before you cut in the top the bottom and the sides.

Roll up to within an inch or two of the ceiling and down to within an inch of the skirting. This leaves you which much less cutting in and saves much time.

Advertisement