Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever painted a house

Options
  • 07-06-2021 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I'm tempted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Watercolour or Oil on canvas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

Watercolour or Oil on canvas?

There's someone really annoying me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

No its 5 times more work than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Inside or out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I once watched a guy who paints houses beat up a shopkeeper in slow-slow-motion.

At that point I stopped watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes. This weekend. Was quoted 2k by a painter, so had a go myself.

Depends on the house how complicated it is. You might need access to equipment like roof ladders or scaffolding.

I enjoyed doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

A great help is if you can do two or more rooms at a time.

Fill all ceiling cracks wall cracks etc in both rooms. Then caulk the skirting and architrave together etc. Paint both ceilings and walls in both rooms at the same time etc.

If you can do this it will save you a great deal of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Painted the outside of a house. Lovely way to spend a few warm summer evenings. Get a great sense of satisfaction when it looks good when it’s finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes, both inside and out. Originally I got it painted professionally and decided I wasn't paying that again but it depends if you like painting and are precise and careful about prep, I actually love painting and even if I say so myself am a lot more accurate about edges etc than the original job was!

Only think is I don't do heights so I paint it all bar the tops of both gables that I can't reach with extension so I get a handyman to do the gables/chimney but maybe every second painting rather than every time. As my house is white mainly I usually give the front a spruce up more regularly than the sides/back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Yes and like Frank The Irishman I do my own carpentry too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah I always paint my own house internally , I know what I am doing , however the previous occupants clearly didn't , lot of dust, grit and hair in the previous paint . So that means more prep work for me .

To do a colour change in a medium size room and paint the ceilings I usually plan around 4 days between sanding, filling ,taping , cleaning ,painting and cleanup . If changing colour it's usually 2-3 coats and cutting in at least twice.

Lot harder now with a baby in the house and constant interruptions .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Know someone who did the outside a few years back. Between scraping, cleaning and painting it took all of six weeks in the evenings. He's now banned from getting up a ladder by his wife! Personally did it as a teenager, hard work, fine to do if you don't have the money but would prefer to spend the cash to get it done.

I'd dig holes all day... carry blocks...pick stones from a field...but sweet Jesus, I hate painting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Last house was a little 3 bed bungalow.
    Did it in a Saturday and a few evenings.

It's handy it you're going for a similar colour.
    If changing it can be a bit harder.

Also never a fan of getting up to do the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd dig holes all day... carry blocks...pick stones from a field...but sweet Jesus, I hate painting

God I hate picking stones.
    It's some kind of Chinese water torture.
    They keep appearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

Think I'll leave it

I don't have a gun anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Genre.. wrote: »
    Think I'll leave it

I don't have a gun anyway
    Spray gun, be grand.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

The inside, yep.
    Outside nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

In 2008, on a lovely July morning I got up a ladder and painted the front of our house. Its a terryline render. (I think that's what its called). I only had to do the upper part, because the lower part is a canopy over a living room window and porch. The canopy is about 90cm deep and forms part of the living room ceiling - so its cold. So in June 2008 we like a mini tiled roof to it.

Anyway, at lunchtime, the not-forecasted rain arrived and washed all my Dulux WeatherShield Magnolia paint down the wall onto the new mini roof. I had to run to the garden shed , where I swore my ****ing head off for 3 minutes, before returning with the garden hose and washing all the paint off. Shortly after, it stopped raining, and the sun came out and dried the front of the house. So back up the ladder again and paint it all again. Then back up the next day and did the second coat. And of course, it didn't rain again.

Well, I can't say I felt any satisfaction upon completing the job. More a case of "never a-****ing-gain".

Until last summer, when I cleaned and repainted everything in sight, and tidied up the clothes line that passed for piped telly cabling. I then crossed the road to look at my handiwork and thought "now, THAT looks NICE!". In fairness it was in absolute sh!te after 12 years of neglect.

TL DR ?

then...YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Never painted whole house only a couple small jobs here and there. Painting has some amount of prep work going into it. So a painter will come around next month and do the entire inside walls and ceilings. Outside we got some special paint that supposedly lasts over a decade (it was other half who organised that and I can’t remember exact details) so hopefully won’t be worrying about that for a few more years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Myself and my fianceé bought our first house together last year and painted pretty much the entire inside ourselves, with a bit of help from my dad. There were far more pressing issues for money so paying a professional was never really considered.

The hall, stairs and landing was by far the worst as it was wallpapered, so that had to be stripped and walls sanded and treated. Everything else was fine for the most part bar the odd patch up job.

While we obviously didn't do as good a job as a professional, we got an enormous sense of self-satisfaction at looking at how the house was transformed with our own hard work.

Have done parts of the outside, but its mostly pebble-dash and I can't be arsed tackling that.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Here are some useful tips, to make decorating time pass more quickly...

Ask a loved one to stand behind and ask (in order of helpfulness):

Are you putting down newspaper first?
    Are you going to sand it down?
    Have you enough paint?
    Why did you start at that end?
    Is the other room finished already?

Ultimately followed by the ever helpful...

"Well, if I was doing it.... "

BTW, anyone know the record for paint-brush throwing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pain in the fcuking hole, don't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMBC

Yes most of inside and outside including pine skirting with Sadolins.
    It was a second hand house with 'parquet' style flor tiles. Sanded it and tow coats of varnish so smooth. Visitors used say 'I wont walk on your wet floor'! But I would have been quite slow. I also had mahogony windows with all smallpanes. Stripped them back, all the coats of varnidh removed, primed with aluminium primer to kill any resin/oil and then gave them two or three coats of off white. People thought from a distance they were pvc. Long time ago though. And very enjoyable
    .... when it was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The interior of some rooms in my own place yes, it's very satisfying. Have another room to do that I've been putting off for years, hope to get it done in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Doing the ceiling is the worst. Paint spattering down on top of you, hard to see whether you have painted an area or not, up and down the stepladder like a yo-yo, and your shoulder is killing you in no time :(

God I hate picking stones.
    It's some kind of Chinese water torture.
    They keep appearing

But at the end of the day, you've a pile of stones where before there was no pile.

With painting a room.
    You've a painted room.
    You might have started with a painted room.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Doing the ceiling is the worst. Paint spattering down on top of you, hard to see whether you have painted an area or not, up and down the stepladder like a yo-yo, and your shoulder is killing you in no time :(

Use a roller with extension handle. Work smarter not harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Fils wrote: »
    Use a roller with extension handle. Work smarter not harder.
    From now on I will box clever and just get someone in ;)

Advertisement