Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever painted a house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I used to paint houses myself one time.Kept getting it all over the walls though.

Got a guy from South philly to do it now.

Much cleaner.

stratowide wrote: »
    I used to paint houses myself one time.Kept getting it all over the walls though.

Get a guy from South philly to do it now.

Much cleaner.

Let the painter paint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Painting a house is the quickest route to a divorce in my household - never again I'll pay up every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m from the country, there’s no way you’d pay someone to paint your house when you can do it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

When I bought my house 3 years ago myself and my girlfriend at the time painted all the interior walls and exterior walls out the back. I paid someone to do the front of the house as I don't like being up high on ladders. It's not a fear of heights, more so a fear of falling from them :D

I think I will however paint the front of the house myself this year. It's a terraced house with no access for a cherry picker so a ladder will have to do. I'll only be up on it to do the cutting in at the very top, after that it'll be a roller on a telescopic handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

When the war eventually comes . This thread shows there's alot of soft people that will be taken first. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My dad's a painter and decorator, so's my grandad and so was my great grandad. My great grandad actually ran a business with about 30 guys working for him at one point which he passed down to my grandad.

They'd all the ecclesiastical contracts in Dublin back in the day, everything from hospitals to convents, schools - even some laundries! :eek:

Paint rollers were actually banned by unions when they first came out as they cut down on the amount of people required to do a job significantly.

My grandad used to tell me stories about how they'd be using rollers while working for his dad, an inspector would come in and they'd have to hide them and switch back to brushes.

Actually making paint back in those days was mad too. You didn't just go in and buy a colour, you bought a load of components and mixed the colours yourself. They had interestingtricks like using a feather to get marbling effects etc.

So yes I've painted houses, schools, hospitals and all kinds of places. Most interesting was probably a mortuary.

Unfortunately I had notions and decided to buck the trend and study Fine Art Painting after school instead. :pac:

listermint wrote: »
    When the war eventually comes . This thread shows there's alot of soft people that will be taken first. :P

We can all start painting houses when the war starts.

Be grand..No cleaning up afterwards either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

stratowide wrote: »
    We can all start painting houses when the war starts.

Be grand..No cleaning up afterwards either.

Will ye stop. It was bad enough when it rained!!

"are ye starting' the paintin luv? don't forget your umbrella flak jacket!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

About 3 months ago, Mrs N decided she no longer likes the colour scheme (which she picked) in the kitchen/diningroom. Off to Woodies and find a colour she likes, plus white for the ceiling and u/coat and gloss for skirting and architraves. Then a week of agony for you-know-who, but in the end it was worth it. Having spent 40 years hating painting, I actually enjoyed it - especially the 'cutting-in". I strive for precision, and achieving it is really satisfying.

Anyway, now to the law of unintended consequences. The oak cupboards now look dated and don't fit the new colour scheme. Fair enough, we were planning on getting a new kitchen anyway. BUT..... how do we ensure the colour cupboards will match. So, being the hero I am, I've proposed settling on a colour and then PAINTING the existing cupboards that colour. If we like it, that's our new kitchen colours sorted. I'd say this will be some challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’m from the country, there’s no way you’d pay someone to paint your house when you can do it yourself!

I am not sure this is an urban/rural thing. Painter we hired was highly recommended by a few of our fellow culchies. Now my grandparents have never hired someone to do a job they can do themselves. I think it’s common in their generation to do these jobs themselves.

Modern science has the house painting business fooked.

Back in the the day it was in and out..bang...job done.

Now its all bleach this,clean that wash that.

I miss the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I not sure if anyone has made up a list for painting but just a few pointers

Buy a painting sheet not a plastic one a cloth one. Hold onto to any old curtains, sheets and duvet covers these act as painting sheets as well.

Box of nitrile gloves
    Do not buy cheapest paintbrushes buy fairly decent middle of the road same with roller

Buy good quality extension handle and roller holders. If you need a second extension handle buy the cheaper one then.

Plastic bags to cover paint brushes and rollers for storing over night or if you need to leave it for a few hours. Smaller bin bags are ideal.

A few buckets for washing out brushers and rollers. A few smaller containers for holding small quantiers of paint. You can get small buckets that hold 1-2L in paint shops sometimes they are referred to as pain kettle.

Cutting up a 2L milk container and leaving the handle on it is a handy container to hold ain on a ladder.

Couple of S hooks for hoing paint container or small rollers or brushers on steps of ladder( more for external than internal painting.

Small rollers 3-4'' are not just for behind radiator's they are also handy to paint corners and to put paint along edges where ceilings it skirting boards meet wall

Masking tape and rags you can never have enough.
    Sugar soap/ washing soda
    Filler ( powder type not ready made)
    Paint scrapers 2'' and 3 '' buy good quality one
    Sandpaper you can get the stuff that comes off rolls it better than the sand paper

Get a pair of overalls they are handy and fast to change in and out of. Shoes try to get a pair of slip on's or a pair with Velcro on them that can be taken on and off easy

When you are finished pack all you gear such as painting clothes and painting sheets away you will need them again. Put you brushers and rollers and any unused painting gear into you buckets make sure they are dried out and store than away with the sheets and clothes

List is not exhaustive

Slava Ukrainii

Master of the Universe

Bit of a tip on paintbrushes and rollers, when you're cleaning them out and you think you're done, keep going! they hold an insane amount of paint.

With brushes, hold the bristles apart at the top and get water right down into the base of the brush where they connect to the handle. A lot of folks don't do this, the paint then solidifies and the brush is ruined.

Keep going until there's absolutely no paint running through the water. Handy to give them a spin by the handle between your two hands, similar to how you'd spin one of those hand twist drum things to get the last of the painty water out.

Even more so with rollers. They hold an ungodly amount of paint. Try to roll as much of the paint off before cleaning them. You can use a paint scraper to scrape some of the heavy paint out if needed.

One handy trick (if you've space under a tap) is to stand the roller up under a tap and let water come down and fill the hole in the middle of it. The hole will fill up and the water will cascade down the sides, taking a lot of paint with it. Handy to just leave it there for a while like that and let it clean itself. Then flip it over and let the water cascade down in the opposite direction to do the other end. Finally wring the remaining paint out of it.

As for painting itself:

When you're loading up a roller in a tray, don't just dip it in the paint, roll it around and start slapping it on the walls, you'll completely overload it and get paint spraying everywhere.

Roll it on the tray until you get to the point where you start hearing a sticking kind of a sound without any goopiness. That's the 'correct' amount of paint that should be on it, spread evenly. Once you get good at this you can roll a ceiling in without getting any drops on the floor.

Especially try not to get any paint on the plastic edges of the roller and this will fling paint absolutely everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm so OCD about painting that if I got someone else to paint my house they might end up beating me to death with the roller!!!
    It's just safer (and cheaper) to do it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Just after sitting down after painting our hallway stairway and landing in about 4 hrs with a paint brush and yes a Small roller .
    Wife had the masking tape done and kept a watchful eye on my progress . All this was because she got a new stairs carpet last week and didn’t think it matched .. Aggghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nope, when i was young i helped paint a bike shed.. took way longer than expected and constantly smelled of white spirits.. havent painted since.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

listermint wrote: »

The lads in the pointy shoes and pink shirts first out the gap, screw fix cowboys in the Lidl pants after.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes, I've even been up on the roof to do the chimneys....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

o1s1n wrote: »
    Bit of a tip on paintbrushes and rollers, when you're cleaning them out and you think you're done, keep going! they hold an insane amount of paint.

With brushes, hold the bristles apart at the top and get water right down into the base of the brush where they connect to the handle. A lot of folks don't do this, the paint then solidifies and the brush is ruined.

Keep going until there's absolutely no paint running through the water. Handy to give them a spin by the handle between your two hands, similar to how you'd spin one of those hand twist drum things to get the last of the painty water out.

Even more so with rollers. They hold an ungodly amount of paint. Try to roll as much of the paint off before cleaning them. You can use a paint scraper to scrape some of the heavy paint out if needed.

One handy trick (if you've space under a tap) is to stand the roller up under a tap and let water come down and fill the hole in the middle of it. The hole will fill up and the water will cascade down the sides, taking a lot of paint with it. Handy to just leave it there for a while like that and let it clean itself. Then flip it over and let the water cascade down in the opposite direction to do the other end. Finally wring the remaining paint out of it.

As for painting itself:

When you're loading up a roller in a tray, don't just dip it in the paint, roll it around and start slapping it on the walls, you'll completely overload it and get paint spraying everywhere.

Roll it on the tray until you get to the point where you start hearing a sticking kind of a sound without any goopiness. That's the 'correct' amount of paint that should be on it, spread evenly. Once you get good at this you can roll a ceiling in without getting any drops on the floor.

Especially try not to get any paint on the plastic edges of the roller and this will fling paint absolutely everywhere.

I always found the back of the old Ikea kitchen brushes great for wringing a roller, just the right amount of curve and flexibility to get lots of paint out:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ikea-301-495-56-Plastis-Dishwashing-Assorted/dp/B00PNKYZRQ/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Best always to wet and rinse the brush and roller fully in water before you start painting.

Also wet the bucket before you put paint in, easier to wash out later

Master of the Universe

costacorta wrote: »
    Just after sitting down after painting our hallway stairway and landing in about 4 hrs with a paint brush and yes a Small roller .
    Wife had the masking tape done and kept a watchful eye on my progress . All this was because she got a new stairs carpet last week and didn’t think it matched .. Aggghhhhh

Jaysus you poor fecker. Theyre known as 'radiator rollers' and they're specifically for just that, doing in behind radiators and similar kinds of hard to reach small spots.

Don't go any less than a proper full sized roller and extension pole for doing walls. Don't even use a full sized roller with your hand, you can only go up and down a few feet with it at a time.

Roller on an extension pole and you can do massive big swipes from you shoulders, absolutely fly through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I actually enjoy painting.

I do all the edges first when I have the motivation. Then it's just a matter of blowing through the walls with a roller brush.

I don't bother with masking tape any more, it's too time consuming and I'm not always happy with the edges. So I just work my way round the ceilings, door frames, sockets etc slowly with an angled paint brush. The MX silk tipped brush is the only one I'll use. I can get a lovely sharp line using that brush.

The satisfaction I get out of painting, couldn't have anyone else paint anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

at seeing this thread...
    giphy.gif

cos --> :eek: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117325963

but yes, I have painted a house, inside and out.

:D

I can paint a house, but I can't paint a MS house unfortunately :(

I actually enjoy painting.

I do all the edges first when I have the motivation. Then it's just a matter of blowing through the walls with a roller brush.

I don't bother with masking tape any more, it's too time consuming and I'm not always happy with the edges. So I just work my way round the ceilings, door frames, sockets etc slowly with an angled paint brush. The MX silk tipped brush is the only one I'll use. I can get a lovely sharp line using that brush.

The satisfaction I get out of painting, couldn't have anyone else paint anything for me.

By doing all the cutting in first, you may create a problem known as "hatbanding", where the top cutting in dries before the rest of the wall. The bit that dried first looks like a hat band all the way around the room.

You will often notice that by doing this, the top part where you cut in, dries earlier, leaving a slight difference in tone to the rest of the wall.

The wall should be cut in and rolled all at the one time, so the entire wall dries at the same time. This is especially necessary with the second coat.

Agree with you regarding the masking tape. Any good painter has no need for it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Jaysus you poor fecker. Theyre known as 'radiator rollers' and they're specifically for just that, doing in behind radiators and similar kinds of hard to reach small spots.

Don't go any less than a proper full sized roller and extension pole for doing walls. Don't even use a full sized roller with your hand, you can only go up and down a few feet with it at a time.

Roller on an extension pole and you can do massive big swipes from you shoulders, absolutely fly through it.

Agree. You may get away away rolling in different directions, and with smaller rollers with matt paint, but you won't get away with it with a soft sheen

With anything other than matt, all your various strokes can be seen when the light shines on the wall.

You should finish painting a wall with long vertical strokes from top to bottom using a proper 9-in or 12-in roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭interlocked

Some great advice in this thread. Fair play.

By doing all the cutting in first, you may create a problem known as "hatbanding", where the top cutting in dries before the rest of the wall. The bit that dried first looks like a hat band all the way around the room.

You will often notice that by doing this, the top part where you cut in, dries earlier, leaving a slight difference in tone to the rest of the wall.

The wall should be cut in and rolled all at the one time, so the entire wall dries at the same time. This is especially necessary with the second coat.

Ah i see, I had noticed that. Didn't realize it was down to the paint drying at different times. I just kept going over it until it looked fine.

My reason for doing it that way was because years ago if I left the edges til last, I'd be tired and make a balls of doing it. So now I do all the edges first while i'm fresh.

But your saying I should be doing just one wall at a time, edges included before I move on to another wall??

• Advertisement

Ah i see, I had noticed that. Didn't realize it was down to the paint drying at different times. I just kept going over it until it looked fine.

My reason for doing it that way was because years ago if I left the edges til last, I'd be tired and make a balls of doing it. So now I do all the edges first while i'm fresh.

But your saying I should be doing just one wall at a time, edges included before I move on to another wall??

I would never do the cutting in of the entire room in one go.

Try to do two walls at the same time.

With the first coat, roll the wall vertically from top to bottom, getting as close as you can to the ceiling and the skirting without touching. Mind you don't leave any lines with the roller.

Then cut in along the bottom and the sides, and try to avoid hitting the skirting if possible.

Then, with your ladder,. cut in along the top of the wall and the rest of the sides.

For the first coat, it is not necessary to get an exact cutting in line at the top of the wall. Get as close as you can to the cutting in line between the ceiling and the wall.

For the second coat, you will try to get this line as perfect as you are capable.

If you find you are not cutting in to the ceiling cleanly, dilute the paint by a tiny amount in a pot, and this will give you a cleaner straight line.

While the bottom of the wall can become dry before the rest of the rolling, it is vital that the top of the wall and the rolling occur at the same time, as this is the area that will be seen.

Finally, make sure that the rolling in at the top of the wall is done well, as we are inclined to leave most of the paint in the middle of the wall where the roller hits it.

Always finish with light vertical strokes from top to bottom.

Advertisement