Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most important person who ever existed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Bach or Beethoven.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Arthur Guinness*

*Ye can close this thread now... we've found a winner :lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Amirani wrote: »
    Mohammed.

You think a warlord that was a peadophile, took sex slaves, murdered thousands , was the most important person ?????

wow

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Jesus and Mohammed like it or not are clearly the "winners" here.

Two enormous globe encompassing faiths that impact politically, socially and materially to this day on the lives of almost everyone on the planet frankly.

To have an interesting discussion, you'd have to exclude those 2 I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Alexander Fleming, through penecillin and other antibiotics, has extended life expectancy.
    The actual work was done by others later.

It was a discovery and would have happened at some time. Pasteur or Koch would have been more important perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The guy a couple of hundred thousand years ago who decided to make the first fire.
    Already mentioned on the first page:
    Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

ellee wrote: »
    Jesus and Mohammed like it or not are clearly the "winners" here.

Two enormous globe encompassing faiths that impact politically, socially and materially to this day on the lives of almost everyone on the planet frankly.

To have an interesting discussion, you'd have to exclude those 2 I think.

Good point, but I look at "important" as important for the progression and enlightenment of humans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tbh you could go through every major breakthrough scientist. All the developments in communication technology from writing, to the printing press, to telegraph, to telephone, radio, tv, and ultimately the internet, every artist, every political leader and everyone else and you still would struggle to find that one human, because they didn’t exist in isolation.

It’s very hard to define a single person in humanity who changed everything or who was the most important in history.

Like it or not, we’re a huge collective of some sort, and one idea plays into the next.

My view of it is as population and connectivity increases, so does idea generation, creative bandwidth and ability to process new ideas.

We’re a network that’s much greater than the sum of its parts.
    The first person to use written symbols to transfer ideas or concepts to another was the most important. After that everything was possible.

Konrad Zuse invented the computer. But others did too. And just like the others he used technology that became obsolete overnight when transistors became cheap.

If only Babbage had used binary for his difference engine

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Whoever does the payroll:P

thomil wrote: »
    I'd say it's a close race between Lt. Col. Petrov and Commodore Arkhipov during the Cuban Missile Crisis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Arkhipov_(vice_admiral)

And the way they were treated...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Niall

Of the 9 hostages?
    Responsible for more than 20% of our population!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Flash Gordon - I thank you for saving every one of us.

Gary McKay of Scotland. Sofia 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Good point, but I look at "important" as important for the progression and enlightenment of humans.

But that is exactly what they delivered hence the enormous faith followings and impact etc etc.

In fairness our whole moral code & legal systems in the West comes from Judaeo Christian thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Alan Turing

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Alan Turing
    What did he do that Konrad Zuse didn't ?

Zuse designed and built a Turing complete computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Brian McFadden

Moeriscus let the Romans in during the Siege of Syracuse.

That ultimately decided the history of Europe and hence the world, otherwise it could have been the Greeks or Carthaginians who dominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

IMO it's probably Charles V of Spain who was a forefather in the abolishment of African slavery to and from Europe and the Americas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Probably Roger Moore.

The gun fight he had at dawn on the beach with Francisco Scaramanga, which was refereed by a midget, proved a seminal moment for western civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Gavrilo Princip if going non religious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Cienciano wrote: »
    Gavrilo Princip if going non religious

I'd disagree. The mess of alliances and tensions in the region meant that something would have kicked off the first world war. It's called the Balkan Powderkeg for a reason.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Rollo

The walker ? He definitely had a big impact - but the most important ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Karl Marx. Well over a hundred million people were killed because of him. Billions have had or are having a miserable life thanks to his unique brand of twattery.

The Russians ran with his ideas, maybe somewhere a bit less mental might have made a better go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hard beat Jesus here. Even though Ger Loughnane did bring Clare to two All Ireland’s from a low base in 1994.[/QUOTE

Can Jesus be described as a person , apparently he was the son of God and part of the trinity . I dont think if you believe in Jesus you could say he was person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

I wouldn't have had Jesus Christ on the list

I assumed all that was a fairy story

Tom Hanks

for the movie

Forest Gump

Then

The Davinci Code Angels & Demons movies

Then saving Private Ryan

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Tom Hanks

for the movie

Forest Gump

Then

The Davinci Code Angels & Demons movies

Then saving Private Ryan

QED

Wrong order. Plus, some of those are crimes against film.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

there was an African woman Mitochondrial Eve from around Botswana that they can link all humans from,. So if she didnt exist or didnt have children, we probably wouldnt exist. argument for alternative evolution.

imagine going back 200,000 years and meeting her and telling her that she is going to have billions of grandkids and be responsible for humankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

John Doe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Alex Ferguson.

Advertisement