Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken arm in school ,age 5 yrs do you sue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If a friend visited your house with their child and that child fell over a toy in your house would you be happy for them to sue you?

As someone who is on the receiving end at present of a case similar in nature to the above I can tell you I find this absolutely sickening and disgusting.

Dav010 wrote: »
    It wouldn’t be the grandparent suing.

Genuine question, have you read the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

antodeco wrote: »
    you state "i pay my taxes".

I saw a quote recently from comedian Demitri Martin "when someone describes themselves as a taxpayer, they are about to be an a$$hole"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Genuine question, have you read the OP?

It would be the child that would be the claimant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

No its not. When the child is nuder a certain age it is the parent or the guardian

Hence why loads of childern get lump sums and never see a penny as Mammy/Daddy spent on booze & fags

• Advertisement

Well done, top of the pedantry class. It's unlikely to be a Grandmother organising the legal challenge, taking that responsibility, which the OP implies.

Plus the once active OP has headed for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

You think this is a classy thread?

I’ll leave it to the op to clarify the child’s relationship to her, but I would not discount the possibility that there is a reason why the op is looking after a 5 yr old, and I certainly would not be calling her a liar as a result of her age. Knobs seems apt, wouldn’t you say?

Who fosters a child when they themselves are between 55-60 years?

Who is allowed an adoption at 55/56?

Who keeps saying 'my child' if the child is a grandchild?

Why are you so interested in defending someone who is being disingenuous with the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

redcatstar wrote: »
    Wow, lot of angry people on here, I was asking for advice not abuse, if you read my post again, you will see I said I was lost and angry, no apology from school or follow up plus scooter was not were it should have been and it was set play with the carers not running around mad. I just wanted to see what people thought and advice not abuse
    I was hoping for ,yes it was an accident and some understanding

You can be assured that the insurance company has explicitly stated that no admission of guilt may be made by the insured under any circumstances, which would include an apology, written, verbal or otherwise.

A child falling over something, or over nothing is no reason to sue unless there was serious negligence, or a life altering injury. A scooter in a play setting and a broken arm wouldn't tick the boxes for me, but i'm sure a solicitor who sees a pay-out would disagree.

A little OT, but I think where schools should be held to account is where their anti-bullying policies mean start and stop on paper. As a parent with a child who has experienced bullying that was very slow to be dealt with, I think schools would take it more seriously and be more proactive if there was the chance of them being sued for not taking necessary steps, up to and including the expulsion of the bully. A broken arm heals pretty quickly compared to the scars of being bullied.

Stay Free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Who fosters a child when they themselves are between 55-60 years?

Who is allowed an adoption at 55/56?

Who keeps saying 'my child' if the child is a grandchild?

Why are you so interested in defending someone who is being disingenuous with the truth?

You can't foster at that age because the chances are you will die before the child is old enough to look after themselves.

Hook,line and sinker springs to mind here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭daheff

So my view here on whether you sue or not are:

Is your child likely to have a lifelong negative implication from this (physically or psychological)

Was there negligence on the part of the care provider (accidents happen)

Are you going to return to the care provider afterwards

Are you at a financial loss

On top of all that, you need to talk with the care provider and see what their view is on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

My last post , was looking for advice got abuse mainly and thank you for some good answers, alot of angry people here, I'm upset about a broken arm close to operation, I have not abused one of you.

My last post , was looking for advice got abuse mainly and thank you for some good answers, alot of angry people here, I'm upset about a broken arm close to operation, I have not abused one of you.

Out of curiosity did you give birth to your daughter at 55? Some type of Immaculate conception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

I feel sorry for you External Association, making such a big deal about someone genuine concern for a 5 year old. Have a nice day

Out of curiosity did you give birth to your daughter at 55? Some type of Immaculate conception?

What does it matter? Honestly, leave it out.

People often alter a few details when they post on subjects they feel are sensitive online to protect their own identity.

So maybe the child in this case is the OP's grandchild, and she is posting for advice to give to the child's parent.

Either way, the interrogation and replies like the above are not helpful, and add nothing to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The kid wasn’t at home in her back yard though, was this not clear in the op?

Was it not clear I said “IF”, look up it’s context if your unsure.

_Brian wrote: »
    Was it not clear I said “IF”, look up it’s context if your unsure.

You do understand the difference between an injury suffered in your own back garden, and one suffered in a commercial setting where the child is supervised by a professional paid to ensure a safe environment. If your analogy was posted to prove a similar scenario, it wasn’t a good one. Notice I said “if”.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

What is the threshold for making a claim?
    It seems here that you’d need to suffer an amputation to warrant making a claim.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

See if you sue. You are abusing all of us via increased taxes and premiums to pay for such horse
    **** not to mention kids not being allowed to do stuff anymore (maybe scooters will be banned in school because your child had an accident).

If this happened at your house to a friend would you like to be sued? Or is it because it's the state that makes it different.

Hope if you do sue you lose, have to pay costs and end up in the papers.

ineedeuro wrote: »
    No its not. When the child is nuder a certain age it is the parent or the guardian

Hence why loads of childern get lump sums and never see a penny as Mammy/Daddy spent on booze & fags

Exactly, if the op is the guardian, she has every right to explore negligence on behalf of the child. Again, we are talking about a 5 yr old with a broken arm who tripped over an impediment whilst being supervised. If it was my daughter who suffered pain and couldn’t sleep as a result of it, I’d be pissed.

• Advertisement

Exactly, if the op is the guardian, she has every right to explore negligence on behalf of the child. Again, we are talking about a 5 yr old with a broken arm who tripped over an impediment whilst being supervised. If it was my daughter who suffered pain and couldn’t sleep as a result of it, I’d be pissed.

Heaven forbid the parent is at fault for not supervising the kid properly. It's always someone else's fault......

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

Such a terrible mindset.

Kids have accidents. Kids are careless. Some are clumsy and some abandon their bikes/scooters anywhere.

With an attitude like this it would be no surprise for fellow parents to be reluctant to have play dates etc. for fear of being sued.

I feel sorry for you External Association, making such a big deal about someone genuine concern for a 5 year old. Have a nice day

Deflect, deflect, deflect. You won't even say the relationship you had, if any, with the child.

Well worn routine of playing the victim when caught out on lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

Take care of your child, ensure his/her arm does not get further injured. Seriously not everything is an excuse to sue. accidents happen.
    People wonder why premiums are so feckin high

See if you sue. You are abusing all of us via increased taxes and premiums to pay for such horse
    **** not to mention kids not being allowed to do stuff anymore (maybe scooters will be banned in school because your child had an accident).

If this happened at your house to a friend would you like to be sued? Or is it because it's the state that makes it different.

Hope if you do sue you lose, have to pay costs and end up in the papers.

Absolute rubbish, the child has a broken arm. If the impediment should not have been left lying on the floor by the supervisor, they have every right to sue. If Dunnes left a crate on the floor of an aisle and you tripped on it, you would be equally entitled to seek redress.

Deflect, deflect, deflect. You won't even say the relationship you had, if any, with the child.

Well worn routine of playing the victim when caught out on lies.

Does that change the fact the child was injured when tripping over an impediment?

Boards at its finest, the keyboard warriors.

What does it matter? Honestly, leave it out.

People often alter a few details when they post on subjects they feel are sensitive online to protect their own identity.

So maybe the child in this case is the OP's grandchild, and she is posting for advice to give to the child's parent.

Either way, the interrogation and replies like the above are not helpful, and add nothing to the discussion.

Rubbish. The person is a definite age from several threads. This is made up nonsense by a poster and backed up by an other, totally 'separate' poster.

It seems here that you’d need to suffer an amputation to warrant making a claim.

:confused: Person bangs knee on dining table in restaurant wins thousands in compo claim, and such other near death experiences are far too common.

Absolute rubbish, the child has a broken arm. If the impediment should not have been left lying on the floor by the supervisor, they have every right to sue. If Dunnes left a crate on the floor of an aisle and you tripped on it, you would be equally entitled to seek redress.

No, you are talking BS...it's an accident. This compo culture is why insurance premiums are so high..if I walked into a crate in Dunnes that's my own fault for not looking where I'm going.

Two words for something that doesn't exist anymore....personal responsibility, even for a kid.

• Advertisement

Does that change the fact the child was injured when tripping over an impediment?

Boards at its finest, the keyboard warriors.

Everytime a child trips over an impediment in a public place sue?

Moral bankruptcy at its finest.

Keyboard warriors? What are you??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement