Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken arm in school ,age 5 yrs do you sue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There should be school insurance in place to cover the medical costs. No way would I sue.

myshirt wrote: »
    It's not about you. Will you stop thinking about yourself. It's the child here that is injured.

I feel sorry for the scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

redcatstar wrote: »
    Wow, lot of angry people on here, I was asking for advice not abuse, if you read my post again, you will see I said I was lost and angry, no apology from school or follow up plus scooter was not were it should have been and it was set play with the carers not running around mad. I just wanted to see what people thought and advice not abuse
    I was hoping for ,yes it was an accident and some understanding

Have you found yourself ever giving out about why childcare is so expensive....

Il give you a hint....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Accidents happen. Sounds like an accident.

Thank you for your honest reply with no abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

My son broke his arm in school when some other lad ran in to him, did I think of suing the school? Did I fook, accidents happen & unless your child has lost the use of their arm or will be affected in the future then don't sue. People like you are the reason we can't have anything nice because the cost of insurance is too high.

Respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Wow, lot of angry people on here, I was asking for advice not abuse

Maybe you should consider suing us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Wow, lot of angry people on here, I was asking for advice not abuse, if you read my post again, you will see I said I was lost and angry, no apology from school or follow up plus scooter was not were it should have been and it was set play with the carers not running around mad. I just wanted to see what people thought and advice not abuse

Wrong place to ask, once 1 poster starts calling you out they all crawl out of the woodwork.

But in fairness this was a complete accident and not caused by negligence. There is absolutely no reason to sue the school. I'd be annoyed by the lack of communication from the school but since we have a claim culture their probably been advised not to say too much I'm case they get sued.

Your main concern should be the welfare of your little 1 and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Happened with our son before in crèche when he was 2. He was hugging his best friend and they fell over. The other child's parents were distraught. Our son had a cast for a while, but no issues. We thought the crèche handled it quite badly, in that they didn't really do anything to even check up on him while he was out and when dropping and collecting the owners seemed to avoid us. We didn't sue, but were quite shocked by the number of people who asked if we were going to, before asking how the child was. If we thought it was caused through negligence, it may have been different, but it could have happened anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

OP

Sorry for your child's pain and suffering and the inconvenience to yourself

There is a streamlined claims process set up to avoid many of these cases going to court

Its called the Personal Injuries Assessment Board or PIAB for short.
    I would hazard a guess that if you fill out the form, the playschool's Insurer will end up paying the claim and it will be accepted as a normal part of doing business in this country.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Reading the replies here you would think there was never a reasonable personal injury case taken by anyone anywhere.

Playschools shouldn't be leaving scooters lying around for kids to trip over.
    A solicitor can advise you whether you have a case to bring. Ask her about what happens if you lose and if you might have to pay costs like the golfer in sligo.

The arm may grow back stronger and, being harsh, it may be a lesson to her to watch where she's going in future.
    Thank you for genuinely listening its appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think a lot of the comments are harsh and posted to get the thanks box ticked. OP said that they didn't know if suing was the right thing to do. OP came on for advice and not judgement.

OP I also don't think it's a suing matter. I'm sure your child has tripped over things in your own home or family's home. If you don't think you would sue your own family for the same thing then I think you know it's not the right thing to do here.

Hopefully your child gets lots of colourful signatures on her cast and makes a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The scooter was in the wrong place? Chances are a child put it there, you have nothing to prove it was the playschool.

If you're going to do anything, move your child to another playschool. The fact that you haven't mentioned that, yet are asking about legal action does you no favours OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

A bit lost my 5 yr old broke her arm in playschool, what happens here is it an accident or not , she fell over scooter, dont really know what to do , on one hand I'm angry that something was left in an area were they weren't playing with scooters and she fell is in a cast and may possibly need an op. And on the other hand I I think accidents happen,
    Not much contact from playschool, do I go in and talk to manager or sue, child advised by hospital not to return to playschool for at least 3 weeks in case bone moves .I pay my taxes have never sued or felt like sueing but I'm really at a loss here
    Advice welcome

The reason why kids will have no where to play on a few years is because of people like you
    In the future your kids will be over weight and die young but don’t worry about that because you got a couple of grand for an accident

It’s a disgrace the automatic decision in people mind is not “oh I hope my kid is ok” it’s “ how much can I get from this”

The insurance jndustry is locking down, they are stopping some of these case. I expect you will sue, personally I hope you lose and have to pay legal fees for both sides. 30-40k out of pocket might stop these cases

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What do you think suing the school would do for your child? That’s what you’d be doing - Suing for them.

What is the end goal of your question other than gaining money for your personal use which would have no benefit to the child anyway since the medical costs would be covered by insurance.

Thank you for genuinely listening its appreciated

Translation: thank you for telling me what I wanted to hear.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Happened with our son before in crèche when he was 2. He was hugging his best friend and they fell over. The other child's parents were distraught. Our son had a cast for a while, but no issues. We thought the crèche handled it quite badly, in that they didn't really do anything to even check up on him while he was out and when dropping and collecting the owners seemed to avoid us. We didn't sue, but were quite shocked by the number of people who asked if we were going to, before asking how the child was. If we thought it was caused through negligence, it may have been different, but it could have happened anywhere.

I think creches are so convinced people will sue that they handle these things quite badly at times, very avoidant and standoffish (even uncaring), not wanting to implicate themselves or end up admitting liability and have that result in a law suit. Glad the small fella is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

My 5 year old just last week tripped (on an entirely flat floor) in playschool last week, he went head first into a desk and split his head open.
    The poor playschool teacher rang me in almost tears. I arrived, and she was white as a ghost (head wounds bleed a lot). My son had to have his head glued and we kept him the rest of the week at home.
    Hes fine, he'll have a scar (in his hair), but hes grand. It never even entered my head to sue, because hes 5 and clumsy and falls alot. The playschool have been in touch and have said they will cover costs ( which is €100 a&e cost).
    Accidents happen all the time.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think a lot of the comments are harsh and posted to get the thanks box ticked. OP said that they didn't know if suing was the right thing to do. OP came on for advice and not judgement.

OP I also don't think it's a suing matter. I'm sure your child has tripped over things in your own home or family's home. If you don't think you would sue your own family for the same thing then I think you know it's not the right thing to do here.

Hopefully your child gets lots of colourful signatures on her cast and makes a speedy recovery
    Thank you so much for that reply, it was advice I was after and seriously wanted to hear accident, my child isnt sleeping and its upsetting, if I came across wrong I apologise, but the abuse from some people is unjust

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I think creches are so convinced people will sue that they handle these things quite badly at times, very avoidant and standoffish (even uncaring), not wanting to implicate themselves or end up admitting liability and have that result in a law suit. Glad the small fella is ok.

Yes this. When one of the lads in the warehouse was injured by boxes falling off a high pallet, the boss would barely talk to them and wouldn't pay their medical bills in case it would be seen as an admission of liability.
    Even in our public health system there are charges for A&E etc which can quickly add up.

whelan2 wrote: »
    There should be school insurance in place to cover the medical costs. No way would I sue.

Reimbursement for any costs associated with the broken arm is fair. But a juicy payout to buy a new car or something is often on the mind of the claimant in these cases unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Christ, the righteous indignation on show in this thread would make you ill.

Contact a solicitor OP, they will advise you as to whether you should proceed or not.

As someone mentioned earlier, you've to go through the Personal Injuries Board first. The amount people are being awarded in claims has actually been reviewed and reduced significantly in a lot of cases.

Thank you so much for that reply, it was advice I was after and seriously wanted to hear accident, my child isnt sleeping and its upsetting, if I came across wrong I apologise, but the abuse from some people is unjust

In fairness, it was the same response from most people. It's not a suing matter.

But your post did come across as a cash grab (,mentioning that you pay tax etc) and it's not unjust to come into some harsh words when you paint yourself as greedy.

If that's not the case, I'm glad you got your advice and hope your child recovers well.

Coopaloop wrote: »
    My 5 year old just last week tripped (on an entirely flat floor) in playschool last week, he went head first into a desk and split his head open.
    The poor playschool teacher rang me in almost tears. I arrived, and she was white as a ghost (head wounds bleed a lot). My son had to have his head glued and we kept him the rest of the week at home.
    Hes fine, he'll have a scar (in his hair), but hes grand. It never even entered my head to sue, because hes 5 and clumsy and falls alot. The playschool have been in touch and have said they will cover costs ( which is €100 a&e cost).
    Accidents happen all the time.
    I agree and thank you for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

o1s1n wrote: »
    Christ, the righteous indignation on show in this thread would make you ill.

Contact a solicitor OP, they will advise you as to whether you should proceed or not.

As someone mentioned earlier, you've to go through the Personal Injuries Board first. The amount people are being awarded in claims has actually been reviewed and reduced significantly in a lot of cases.
    How you proceed depends on how you view the situation. It is definitely accidents happen for many of the replies. At most the care provider should be made aware of such issues but unless it's a pattern of a failure of care the legal path seems a bit extreme.

Of course you were......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

advised by hospital not to return to playschool for at least 3 weeks in case bone moves

If you're going to sue anyone, sue the hospital for not correctly immobilising the fracture. A child with a broken arm should be able to resume normal activity the next day, if the cast was put on correctly. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Is this a real situation.?
    Going by your threads created you are 60 and have been caught with drugs and also a sna
    Seriously
    Your probably going to say different people use your profile - or you have different voices in your head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Ah stop playing the victim now. You wanted to know what people thought.

What loss are you at?
    Your kid was playing and injured herself. Should you stop her playing in future?

Stop being so greedy!

No need for that , I was asking for advice, I Never said I would sue, I said advice pls not abuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

athlone573 wrote: »
    Yes this. When one of the lads in the warehouse was injured by boxes falling off a high pallet, the boss would barely talk to them and wouldn't pay their medical bills in case it would be seen as an admission of liability.
    Even in our public health system there are charges for A&E etc which can quickly add up.

Quickly add up to 110 euro.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement