Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken arm in school ,age 5 yrs do you sue

Options
  • 06-06-2021 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

A bit lost my 5 yr old broke her arm in playschool, what happens here is it an accident or not , she fell over scooter, dont really know what to do , on one hand I'm angry that something was left in an area were they weren't playing with scooters and she fell is in a cast and may possibly need an op. And on the other hand I I think accidents happen,
    Not much contact from playschool, do I go in and talk to manager or sue, child advised by hospital not to return to playschool for at least 3 weeks in case bone moves .I pay my taxes have never sued or felt like sueing but I'm really at a loss here
    Advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Genuine question. Did you see dollar signs or the euro symbol?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

One of the more disgusting thread openers I’ve seen in a while.

Wtf in your right mind makes you think that a decision to sue the school here is a justified one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Accidents happen. Sounds like an accident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You probably could and end up getting a pay out of some sort. The question I'd ask is if you should. No would be my opinion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

redcatstar wrote: »
    I pay my taxes have never sued or felt like sueing but I'm really at a loss here
    What loss are you at?
    Your kid was playing and injured herself. Should you stop her playing in future?
    Advice welcome
    Stop being so greedy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Accidents happen. Sounds like an accident.

To many, there is no such thing as an accident, only a chance to make a bob or two.

Its people like this who are making schools do away with PE, running in the playground, horseplay etc. All things kids really need to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

A bit lost my 5 yr old broke her arm in playschool, what happens here is it an accident or not , she fell over scooter, dont really know what to do , on one hand I'm angry that something was left in an area were they weren't playing with scooters and she fell is in a cast and may possibly need an op. And on the other hand I I think accidents happen,
    Not much contact from playschool, do I go in and talk to manager or sue, child advised by hospital not to return to playschool for at least 3 weeks in case bone moves .I pay my taxes have never sued or felt like sueing but I'm really at a loss here
    Advice welcome

If a friend visited your house with their child and that child fell over a toy in your house would you be happy for them to sue you?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

May I ask, you state "i pay my taxes". Is there any particular reason why you raised this? As a taxpayer do you feel you have more of a right to sue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Advice welcome
    I really don't get this bit.

If you feel that your daughter was injured due the negligence of the playschool, surely you would never put her back in this place of danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would 3 weeks not take it to the summer holidays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Maybe don't sue anybody , accidents happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Reading the replies here you would think there was never a reasonable personal injury case taken by anyone anywhere.

Playschools shouldn't be leaving scooters lying around for kids to trip over.
    A solicitor can advise you whether you have a case to bring. Ask her about what happens if you lose and if you might have to pay costs like the golfer in sligo.

The arm may grow back stronger and, being harsh, it may be a lesson to her to watch where she's going in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

My son broke his arm in school when some other lad ran in to him, did I think of suing the school? Did I fook, accidents happen & unless your child has lost the use of their arm or will be affected in the future then don't sue. People like you are the reason we can't have anything nice because the cost of insurance is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

athlone573 wrote: »
    if you lose and if you might have to pay costs like the golfer in sligo.

I really hope this happens.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Advice welcome

This is what is wrong with Ireland. She wasn't careful. Move on,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

So..... you never leave things on the ground at home where your child isnt playing?

Because if you have ever done this.... even once... you are saying that you are a negligent parent yourself..... if you feel that you can sue the playgroup after leaving something on the ground in the area they were not playing .

Ps. Why would you be sending your child back in 3 weeks if you think they are negligent???!!

This stuff engages me. Accidents happen. Get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Compo culture at it's best.

Do you know the circumstances of the positioning of the scooter?

Kids trash the place. They plays with something, get bored and just drop it where ever. No concept of what goes where nor do they care.

Ask them to pay any medical bills, come to arrangement for a reduction to fees.

If you are looking for a free holiday, new car or extension them sue......but to use you child for this is not great.

Why are insurance premiums so high in this country?

Oh yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

People looking to make a few quid off their kids misfortune make me sick.

You shouldn't be out of pocket for your medical costs but that's it. Trying to make a profit out of it is greedy as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

eviltwin wrote: »
    People looking to make a few quid off their kids misfortune make me sick.

You shouldn't be out of pocket for your medical costs but that's it. Trying to make a profit out of it is greedy as fcuk.

Medical costs are a part of having children too.

Is the child blind or something?

I'd say the parents are more of a danger than the broken arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

We’re not talking severed limbs here. It’s a broken arm that will heal. If there’s a medical expense then this cost should be covered by insurance. Trying to profit from a kid’s misfortune is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Disgusting but unsurprising attitude.

No wonder public facilities are being closed down due to chancers like the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

My son fell over and broke his arm when messing with some classmates in the schoolyard. Never even entered my head to sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The child does have the basis of a claim, and you can put this into the Injuries Board for assessment. If you don't know what you are doing get the help of a solicitor.

What disturbs me is though... look what drives your concern....

Focus on the welfare of your child. Frame your thinking in terms of the welfare of the child. A broken arm is no joke. Your immediate jump to frame your thinking in terms of a claim is disturbing. I say this now and I can almost anticipate the reply in your head thinking up reasons why that's not the case, and trying to convince yourself differently. But face it, your focus is not on minding that child. It's the money.

I'm worried about this child here. The child was injured here and you had to be told to hold her out for 3 weeks? And you intended putting her back in if you hadn't this advice? I have an awful fear the child will be putting a claim in against you soon.

If you're angry about the scooter being left out by all means voice the anger but I don't understand why you would sue? Genuinely don't understand. If she'd fallen over badly maintained stairs or a giant hole that had been dug and left open I'd see more negligence, but taking a tumble over a piece of play equipment in a play environment not so much. You can of course sue and may well win but just because you can doesn't mean you should - if we all did everything we were entitled to do the world would collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

Wow, lot of angry people on here, I was asking for advice not abuse, if you read my post again, you will see I said I was lost and angry, no apology from school or follow up plus scooter was not were it should have been and it was set play with the carers not running around mad. I just wanted to see what people thought and advice not abuse
    I was hoping for ,yes it was an accident and some understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Screwthebeast

Advice welcome

So your kid fell over a stationary object

You know when you're driving if you hit a stationary object it's the drivers fault right.

Sheesh, gotta be a troll post

Wow, lot of angry people on here, I was asking for advice not abuse, if you read my post again, you will see I said I was lost and angry, no apology from school or follow up plus scooter was not were it should have been and it was set play with the carers not running around mad. I just wanted to see what people thought and advice not abuse

You've been given plenty of advice.

Just not what you wanted to hear.

Your child tripped over a scooter. What sort of apology is needed? The scooter may have been in the wrong area but that happens when looking after children.

Accidents happen.

If you are so angry, why are you putting your child back into playschool?

Anyway, you have seen what we think. Sorry that it wasn't what you wanted to hear (i.e encouragement to sue)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If a friend visited your house with their child and that child fell over a toy in your house would you be happy for them to sue you?

Excellent example and a good and reasonable question for many to ponder.

It's folks like the OP that close the doors on facilities in this country for good. Which is why Ireland has a literal lack of good quality out door available facilities.

One less playschool I suppose and ridiculously high insurance for any that can stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It's not about you. Will you stop thinking about yourself. It's the child here that is injured.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement