Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Cars to avoid

  • 02-06-2021 9:37am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭ joe40


    Hi folks I'm currently in the market for a car change this year (possibly next year)

    I currently have a 2012 volvo v60, D3. The car is in good condition with a good strong engine. No mechanical issues the reason for changing is just age of the car

    Mileage is low for it's age - 141,000 KM.

    I have found SUV type cars just too expensive overall so I'm on the lookout for a family car in estate form. (I have got to enjoy the estate especially for transporting pet dog)

    I just wonder are there any particular brands that I should avoid due to reliability issues. I appreciate to a large extent it can be just down to luck but are there any particular red flags.

    I won't be buying new but hopefully budget will stretch to 3 - 4 year old car. I would consider 2017 model with low miles.

    Thanks for any help/advice


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭ secman


    I too have a volvo s60 D3, that 5 cylinder engine is probably the best engine ever produced by Volvo. Mine is 2011 with 225,000km on it. Could get a 2017 car that wouldn't be as reliable or as comfy. Worth more to me to hold on to it, reg plates don't bother me once car is comfy, reliable and it has a bit of poke, economy too. Just an alternative viewpoint :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭ ba_barabus


    You're casting the net very wide without giving an indication of what you're looking for.

    Petrol/Diesel/Hybrid/Electric?

    Any particular brand or model?

    Any must have features?

    Any cars specifically you don't want?

    Budget?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭ Littlehorny


    Opel, that's all the advice I have for you :) Worst cars on the road imo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭ JustAThought


    I know three totally different people who had to entirely replace the engine of their ford focus. One was an uncle, one a friend and one a colleague in work - where it caused HAVOC. All relatively new but out of warrantee. I had the use of one for a few weeks and loved it but as I drove it back to the dealership the ‘total engine failure’ light flashed on - I nearly needed CPR. Beautiful spacious family car with huge booth - but wouldn’t touch one.

    I’ve had a hatchback Nissan Almrea for far too long. Great size booth, great mpg, always reliable, spacious. Maybe not flash but a workhorse that goes fast, fits in normal parking spaces & can fit a lot of junk in the booth & still accommodate the full 5 family. Hopefully that win’t jinx it!

    What did people do in the 80’s when they had 7 & 10 children - go by bus????


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,763 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    Ones I’d avoid due to mechanical doubts

    Mazda 2.0 or 2.2 diesel
    Kia/Hyundai 1.7 diesel
    Ford/PSA/Volvo/Mazda 1.6 diesel


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭ joe40


    secman wrote: »
    I too have a volvo s60 D3, that 5 cylinder engine is probably the best engine ever produced by Volvo. Mine is 2011 with 225,000km on it. Could get a 2017 car that wouldn't be as reliable or as comfy. Worth more to me to hold on to it, reg plates don't bother me once car is comfy, reliable and it has a bit of poke, economy too. Just an alternative viewpoint :)

    That is a very valid viewpoint, and one I might end up sharing depending on how test drives go.
    I drove a 182 tiguan and 182 peugeot 3008 just to see if I was missing something in relation to SUV but in both cases I would prefer my Volvo.

    I intend to look at Mondeos, passat, superb etc for over the next while to see if any can impress.

    Budget would be around low 20,000 s


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭ corsav6


    Opel, that's all the advice I have for you :) Worst cars on the road imo.

    I've had Opel/Vauxhall all my life and I can tell you there's a lot worse cars on the road.


  • Registered Users Posts: 73,710 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn


    Good general guide here...
    https://www.whatcar.com/news/2020-what-car-reliability-survey/n20042

    You have to also factor in a super reliable car that has had 1 oil change in 4 years is unlikely to be as reliable as those which followed the correct service interval.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭ neris


    Audi Q7, nothing but a heartache and cash drain


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭ joe40


    ba_barabus wrote: »
    You're casting the net very wide without giving an indication of what you're looking for.

    Petrol/Diesel/Hybrid/Electric?

    Any particular brand or model?

    Any must have features?

    Any cars specifically you don't want?

    Budget?

    My net is quite wide but you're right i missed a few specifics.
    Looking for diesel estate but not underpowered. I would have concerns about low engine size superb for example but would be willing to give them a try.

    No particular brand. High cost of repairs are putting me off premium brands such as Audi, BMW, Merc but maybe that is a misconception on my part.

    My main question was to do with cars that have potential reliability issues.

    My current car is pushing on in terms of age but at the same time I don't want to take a backwards step in terms of performance and functionality to get a newer car.

    By the way I'm not a speed merchant or reckless driver by any stretch but overtaking on country roads does need a bit of power at times.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ rco2000


    Opel, that's all the advice I have for you :) Worst cars on the road imo.

    From personal experience, you couldn’t be more wrong. Put up 340k km on a then new 141 2.0 insignia without any problems.

    Service car and change oil regularly


  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭ Rrrrrr2


    Opel, that's all the advice I have for you :) Worst cars on the road imo.

    I loved my insignia- 150k km from new in three years. One of the best cars I owned, looked well in nice SRI spec too. Never missed a beat. The boot lock was replaced under warranty. Engine was 160bhp too so it could move. Always felt very planted and safe on the road. There’s a lot worse out there in my experience. Was a great car really


  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭ Rrrrrr2


    rco2000 wrote: »
    From personal experience, you couldn’t be more wrong. Put up 340k km on a then new 141 2.0 insignia without any problems.

    Service car and change oil regularly

    So many of the insignias I see have big mileage put up in them-they can’t be all bad.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭ Dr_Colossus


    joe40 wrote: »
    Looking for diesel estate but not underpowered.

    My current car is pushing on in terms of age but at the same time I don't want to take a backwards step in terms of performance and functionality to get a newer car.

    I've a 2007 Volvo S60 petrol with 270k KM, great car and is very reliable over 6 years of ownership.
    Was half thinking of changing mainly due to insurance being a pain but in my case I want to stick with petrol and there's very slim pickings of anything decent 2nd hand. The Merc C350e estate caught my eye, 2.0 petrol PHEV with good pep. Saloon a bit small with compromised boot space with the inclusion of a battery so estate a good looking option. Gets good reviews and appears to be reliable. If you've done so little mileage on your existing diesel the hybrid could be an option but they also come in diesel.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ appledrop


    Opel, that's all the advice I have for you :) Worst cars on the road imo.

    I 100% agree with this, their head gassets are a heap of junk.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭ joe40


    I've a 2007 Volvo S60 petrol with 270k KM, great car and is very reliable over 6 years of ownership.
    Was half thinking of changing mainly due to insurance being a pain but in my case I want to stick with petrol and there's very slim pickings of anything decent 2nd hand. The Merc C350e estate caught my eye, 2.0 petrol PHEV with good pep. Saloon a bit small with compromised boot space with the inclusion of a battery so estate a good looking option. Gets good reviews and appears to be reliable. If you've done so little mileage on your existing diesel the hybrid could be an option but they also come in diesel.
    Thanks for that. Interesting ideas.
    My mileage would be about 27,000 km per year. My current car has low mileage because I bought it at 5 years old with only 50,000 km on the clock.

    I hadn't really considered hybrid. I would not do much urban driving, mostly rural roads.

    I actually had a 2019 2.0 litre Mondeo for a test drive today and I was quite impressed. The hatchback boot lid would meet my requirements.
    Any views on Mondeos anyone. Would there be any well established issues?

    The 2019 is a bit over budget but a 2018/2017 model at the right price might be ok.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ Ulysses1874


    joe40 wrote: »
    My net is quite wide but you're right i missed a few specifics.
    Looking for diesel estate but not underpowered. I would have concerns about low engine size superb for example but would be willing to give them a try.

    No particular brand. High cost of repairs are putting me off premium brands such as Audi, BMW, Merc but maybe that is a misconception on my part.

    My main question was to do with cars that have potential reliability issues.

    My current car is pushing on in terms of age but at the same time I don't want to take a backwards step in terms of performance and functionality to get a newer car.

    By the way I'm not a speed merchant or reckless driver by any stretch but overtaking on country roads does need a bit of power at times.


    Dunno what the diesel Superbs are like, but I have a 1.5 TSi petrol and it's not short of poke.


    I owned an Audi A6 (petrol) in the mid-2000s. I didn't have too many repairs, but holy crap the cost of repairs and spares was pretty bad.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ Ulysses1874


    Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I loved my insignia- 150k km from new in three years. One of the best cars I owned, looked well in nice SRI spec too. Never missed a beat. The boot lock was replaced under warranty. Engine was 160bhp too so it could move. Always felt very planted and safe on the road. There’s a lot worse out there in my experience. Was a great car really


    Never owned an Insignia, but two of my neighbours do and rate them very highly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭ Feria40


    Some love here for insignia's which is the opposite of what I expected.

    Seem to be plenty on the market, many with mega miles.

    What models in particular do people recommend? I am on the lookout for something with good fuel economy but with some extras if possible like leather seats and Android connect..

    Sorry if I am hijacking the thread!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭ Marhay70


    I know three totally different people who had to entirely replace the engine of their ford focus. One was an uncle, one a friend and one a colleague in work - where it caused HAVOC. All relatively new but out of warrantee. I had the use of one for a few weeks and loved it but as I drove it back to the dealership the ‘total engine failure’ light flashed on - I nearly needed CPR. Beautiful spacious family car with huge booth - but wouldn’t touch one.

    I’ve had a hatchback Nissan Almrea for far too long. Great size booth, great mpg, always reliable, spacious. Maybe not flash but a workhorse that goes fast, fits in normal parking spaces & can fit a lot of junk in the booth & still accommodate the full 5 family. Hopefully that win’t jinx it!

    What did people do in the 80’s when they had 7 & 10 children - go by bus????

    I can do better, I have a friend who replaced the engine in his diesel Focus three times, luckily the second and third times were in warranty. This car was regularly serviced by a Ford Main dealer and the engines were replaced by the same dealer. Makes you wonder which was worse, the car or the people working on it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭ SCOOP 64


    i thought the insignia's had engine problems with oil seal problems causing oil starvation to engine without warning or was this early models?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ Andrewf20


    Good general guide here...
    https://www.whatcar.com/news/2020-what-car-reliability-survey/n20042

    You have to also factor in a super reliable car that has had 1 oil change in 4 years is unlikely to be as reliable as those which followed the correct service interval.

    Strange to see Mazda 6 and BMW 5 series doing very well despite the n47 timing chain issues and the Mazda 2.2 diesel nightmares that people seem to be having.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ Car99


    rco2000 wrote: »
    From personal experience, you couldn’t be more wrong. Put up 340k km on a then new 141 2.0 insignia without any problems.

    Service car and change oil regularly

    Goes to show cars that are driven given less problems especially modern diesels than low mileage diesel town cars


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭ Tzardine


    I have never owned or driven an Insignia so I can't speak on how their are to drive or own. Clearly those that own them are rating them highly.

    But I swear that the majority of cars I see broken down at the side of the road are an Insignia. Even my wife, who has no interest in cars, mentioned it to me out of the blue one day, having seen one broken down on the motorway. She said she sees loads of them too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭ SCOOP 64


    The insignia always seem cheap to buy second hand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭ SCOOP 64


    As for Opels i have a 98 Astra 230 000miles, Opel Zafira 08 130,000 miles, nothing mayor repair wish , but both were regularly serviced


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ Tippman24


    Ford announced recently that production of Mondeo is ceasing this year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭ dockysher


    Jaguars. Specifically x-types


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ chicorytip


    Feria40 wrote: »
    Some love here for insignia's which is the opposite of what I expected.

    Seem to be plenty on the market, many with mega miles.

    What models in particular do people recommend? I am on the lookout for something with good fuel economy but with some extras if possible like leather seats and Android connect..

    Sorry if I am hijacking the thread!
    The post 2014 version with the 1.6 litre (136 bhp) diesel engine is rated much better than the older 2.0 litre model which had reported engine and gearbox issues. The interior design and layout is much better in the newer iteration.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ chicorytip


    joe40 wrote: »
    Hi folks I'm currently in the market for a car change this year (possibly next year)

    I currently have a 2012 volvo v60, D3. The car is in good condition with a good strong engine. No mechanical issues the reason for changing is just age of the car

    Mileage is low for it's age - 141,000 KM.

    I have found SUV type cars just too expensive overall so I'm on the lookout for a family car in estate form. (I have got to enjoy the estate especially for transporting pet dog)

    I just wonder are there any particular brands that I should avoid due to reliability issues. I appreciate to a large extent it can be just down to luck but are there any particular red flags.

    I won't be buying new but hopefully budget will stretch to 3 - 4 year old car. I would consider 2017 model with low miles.

    Thanks for any help/advice
    Estate cars are so uncommon now. Most of the major manufacturers no longer make them apart from Ford. The Mondeo would be the right choice for you given your requirements. They are expensive though. You should expect to pay at least 16000€ for a 2017 model


Advertisement