Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars to avoid

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

chicorytip wrote: »
    Estate cars are so uncommon now. Most of the major manufacturers no longer make them apart from Ford. The Mondeo would be the right choice for you given your requirements. They are expensive though. You should expect to pay at least 16000€ for a 2017 model

Fe900Z6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

chicorytip wrote: »
    Your definition of an estate car seems to differ from my own. I would not include the likes of a Mini Countryman, Peugeot 5008 or Seat Arona in that category. A Skoda Fabia can be had in estate form but used models are as rare as hens teeth. Ditto the Octavia. Given the requirements listed by the OP the Mondeo would suit her ideally by virtue alone of it's enormous boot space. They are not cheap to purchase.

When you’re in a hole, stop digging. The 508 is Peugeot’s estate. Octavia and Superb are probably the biggest selling estates in Ireland. Far from “hens teeth” there are over 200 Octavia estates currently for sale on DoneDeal. The Leon is Seat’s estate. You’re talking nonsense, but please continue as you see fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair that's small mileage.......... in the UK and Europe loads of folk rack up several hundred k kms without issue or major expense.

Have close to 400k on an 06 C200 and barely a fault with it. We have owned it for 9 years also. Changing it this year for an ev.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mankteln

fits wrote: »
    Have close to 400k on an 06 C200 and barely a fault with it. We have owned it for 9 years also. Changing it this year for an ev.

Have an 07 C180 that I'd love to get up to your mileage. At 208k at the minute, has a small oil leak from vacuum pump that's doing my nut in currently, got one from scrapyard and mechanic fitted it but think still present which is a pain

mankteln wrote: »
    Have an 07 C180 that I'd love to get up to your mileage. At 208k at the minute, has a small oil leak from vacuum pump that's doing my nut in currently, got one from scrapyard and mechanic fitted it but think still present which is a pain

Hope you get it sorted. Really very little wrong with ours now but I’ll be commuting more from September and find it uncomfortable on a long journey. And the tax is high as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

If I was in the OP's shoes I think Id hang onto the V60 for a few more years and then get a new shape V60 D4 or V90 D4 when the price of them drops a bit more. As others say that 2.4 litre D3 engine is really good and with that car having low miles its going to have a lot of life left in it- assuming the rest of the car is okay and not giving trouble.

Im personally a massive estate fan, much prefer them to SUV's and 90% of them look better than their saloon or hatchback counter-part. They offer a lot of extra space for generally a small bit extra cash

Casati wrote: »
    If I was in the OP's shoes I think Id hang onto the V60 for a few more years and then get a new shape V60 D4 or V90 D4 when the price of them drops a bit more. As others say that 2.4 litre D3 engine is really good and with that car having low miles its going to have a lot of life left in it- assuming the rest of the car is okay and not giving trouble.

Im personally a massive estate fan, much prefer them to SUV's and 90% of them look better than their saloon or hatchback counter-part. They offer a lot of extra space for generally a small bit extra cash

Definitely the best option. V60 is a lovely car. I would have bought one only for I went electric instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

mankteln wrote: »

The brake vacuum pump leak is a common problem so you shouldn't really have gotten a used one from a scrapper. I bought one for my 2006 c180 from mister auto for €156 including delivery. You just need one spanner to undo two 8mm bolts and swap the hose over , it's on top so no jacking needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mankteln

The brake vacuum pump leak is a common problem so you shouldn't really have gotten a used one from a scrapper. I bought one for my 2006 c180 from mister auto for €156 including delivery. You just need one spanner to undo two 8mm bolts and swap the hose over , it's on top so no jacking needed.

Yeah and I did definitely get a bit of buyers regret once I went online and saw how common it is with the W203 engine but at that stage it was already winging it's way to me in the post. I ended up having to get both fuel pumps replaced during lockdown last year and learned that apparently there's no OEM part for the second pump, so I think I was still smarting from the couple of hundred that the mercedes part cost and thought I might be able to save this time around. I'm still holding out a little hope that it might just have been a little residual oil left on the 02 sensor cable running onto the exhaust manifold that I smelt but will take it a longer spin over the weekend and see if it's been resolved or not. If not might end up getting it from the crowd you suggested in the end anyway, it'll be a lesson learned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

I can’t kill my insignia it’s a beast

Thought that too until last year my flywheel and gearbox went. Was solid for the previous 6 years of cheap motoring. Before that I replaced the oil pump seal to save the engine from starving of oil. The gearbox if serviced could of lasted longer too from what the mechanic said though he described them as chocolate which wasn’t good. M32 boxes are soft as hell so avoid those or if you have one ask about getting it serviced. Sub frame then started to corrode along with rear springs breaking so in the end it went up the road for spares. 2010 Sri 130bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Cyclepath wrote: »
    Avoid anything with BMW's 2.0 diesel engine from 2009-2016, so basically BMW/Mini.

These engines are notorious for timing chain and crankshaft sprocket issues and BMW have had class action lawsuits in some countries

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/bmw-timing-chain-lawsuit-settlement-reached.shtml#:~:text=December%2012%2C%202020%20%E2%80%94%20A%20BMW,and%20secondary%20timing%20chain%20assemblies.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2018/1102/1008306-bmw-settles-civil-action-over-faulty-engines/

BMW N47 engine
    Production March 2007 - September 2014

Why would you avoid them if BMW are (albeit reluctantly) standing over them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

spyderski wrote: »
    Most major manufacturers? Are you serious?

Off the top of my head:
    Audi
    BMW
    Volvo
    Volkswagen
    Mercedes
    Ford
    Porsche
    Seat
    MINI
    Skoda
    Peugeot

…all make estates. So basically the polar opposite of your statement.

Renault also still sell the Megane in estate form so that can be got second hand too and is a good looker.

Oh and buy the way there is nothing wrong with the Hyundai/Kia 1.7 diesel. It might not be the most advanced diesel but they easily haul the IX35 and Kia Sportage along no problem and refined too. I say them two cars because I have been in them two cars. It has since been replaced with a 1.6 diesel though.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AMKC wrote: »
    Oh and buy the way there is nothing wrong with the Hyundai/Kia 1.7 diesel. It might not be the most advanced diesel but they easily haul the IX35 and Kia Sportage along no problem and refined too. I say them two cars because I have been in them two cars. It has since been replaced with a 1.6 diesel though.

It’s the transmission that’s the biggest issue on them. Fine if you’re buying a new one with a warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

spyderski wrote: »
    Most major manufacturers? Are you serious?

Off the top of my head:
    Audi
    BMW
    Volvo
    Volkswagen
    Mercedes
    Ford
    Porsche
    Seat
    MINI
    Skoda
    Peugeot

…all make estates. So basically the polar opposite of your statement.

i have ceed estate, and there is the i30 i40 and optima estates so kia and hyundais as well

also kia are doing a Phev version of the ceed sportwagon
    https://www.kia.com/ie/new-cars/ceed-sportswagon-phev/discover/
    kia-cd-wgn-phev-my20-trim.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@ OP What about a Kia Pro-Ceed? It has a huge boot and is very stylish,

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/pro-ceed/fpa/202010205229915?journey=Search

Actually that might be over your budget I was sure it said 21 thousand euro and its diesel.
    Still worth a look do but a bit smaller than your Volvo.

Ah ha this one below is just over 21 thousand euro,

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/pro-ceed/fpa/202012177204192?journey=Search

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Tzardine wrote: »
    I have never owned or driven an Insignia so I can't speak on how their are to drive or own. Clearly those that own them are rating them highly.

But I swear that the majority of cars I see broken down at the side of the road are an Insignia. Even my wife, who has no interest in cars, mentioned it to me out of the blue one day, having seen one broken down on the motorway. She said she sees loads of them too.

Insignia: Have had several, never again. Clutch and flywheel failed in 09 model. Gearbox is terrible in 2014 models - like a vintage tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 LV-426

Is the Volvo D3 engine not a 4 cyl 2.0? Just noticed a couple of posts saying they were 2.4 5 cyl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

LV-426 wrote: »
    Is the Volvo D3 engine not a 4 cyl 2.0? Just noticed a couple of posts saying they were 2.4 5 cyl

D5 is 5 cyl. D3 and D4 4 cyl. D6 5 cyl + PHEV. D2 came in 1.6 for ages and then became a lower powered 2.0, same as the D3 and D4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is a bit of crossover of badging on the likes of the S60, where 5 cylinder 2.0 models were replaced by 4 cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

Any advice on a 181 VW Passat 94,000 on the clock. Full service history

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mote than likely way under budget and tricky enough to find but if you don't mind pov spec and 'unusual' looks, you won't beat a Skoda Roomster for carrying space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

D5 is 5 cyl. D3 and D4 4 cyl. D6 5 cyl + PHEV. D2 came in 1.6 for ages and then became a lower powered 2.0, same as the D3 and D4.

Depending on the year you are correct but reference was made to a used V60 with the 2.4 5 pot D3 engine. All newer Volvo’s are 4 cylinder inc D3, D4, D5 and even T6 and T8’s

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/34518

Advertisement