Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Homes to be re-valued for Property Tax in November 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

The seller will most likely value the house at the agreed sales price.

If and when the sale closes, the standard law society contract includes a clause that allows the seller recover any LPT prepayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Bedroom tax coming too.

No more young couple buying a 4 bed house before they have enough babies to fill it. and then more tax when they are grown up and moved out, because you want to keep their childhood bedrooms there for them when they or the grandkids come to liven up the house at the weekends.

We are screwed from all over the place by taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Can't see that getting traction in Ireland.

Where did you see that it is coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Weirdly, my parent's house on the revenue LPT site (with the bands) sits in Band 2. However a house up the road from them sold in April this year for a price that puts them firmly in band 5. The house is similar to theirs, but they have an extension that contains a garden room, laundry room & 2nd bathroom. They've also got an electrified block shed, and secure rear access. Personally I think she should pay Band 2 as that's what's supplied by revenue, but market forces are currently dictating the house is worth 150% more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was logged in trying to adjust my rates etc

but it was forcing me to pay for 2022 now. Is that correct?

• Advertisement

How long have you lived in Ireland? :)

If it can be taxed it will be taxed.

Master stroke in the last couple of decades where they actually have people out screaming for other people to be taxed. What they dont realize is that they are next.

So it's just your hunch that a bedroom tax is coming ?

Fair enough.

Not at all.

Sorry for any upset caused but this is a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What the revenue supply is only an average price for the geographical area. In no way is it a valuation on any individual property. The householder does not have a choice of accepting the average value or offering their own. Averages are just that. Some will be above and some below. In theory there might be no hose at the average or in the average band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Typical money grabbing governement policy. Wait until house prices are peaking!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its been kicked out repeatedly for political reasons. It has to be done at some point because they need to get the substantial volume of houses paying nothing in to the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Are Revenue serious or just acting the cnut!

Had my property valued recently by an estate agent for family purposes and also saw the price 2 houses sold for recently in my estate so had a good idea of what mine was worth.

For the fun of it when updating my details on Revenue site I used their valuation tool ..........and was I surprised when they valued my property nearly 100,000 more than what it is !!!!....and of course this put me into the next band!!!!!! I'm going with my valuation and they can feck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

People need to realise that revenue are not putting values on individual properties.

The onus is on the property owner to value it, and face the consequences if they under-value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What I find mildly amusing about this, is when I heard some Revenue spokeswoman advising that ALL property owners were to value their propertys on the 1st Nov AND have it submitted by six days later on the 7th Nov. Is this correct? If so, it's just laughable that the state expects Paddy to jump to attention and do their will at command and in short time........ when the same state dithers for months & years on matters of import. Only a very sheltered civil service could dream this schedule up and expect it to happen in the real world.

It is true - https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/local-property-tax/what-to-do-for-2022/index.aspx

Sigh! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 40,930 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I checked My Dads house and it was put by revenue in the higher band than it should have been so...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Also 'amusing' is if you look up the Revenue/LA guidance map. Around here in rural area near county boundary, adjacent addresses just a few fields apart in differing counties jump from Band 1/2 to Band 4! It'd bring you back to the early 19th century when there were huge disparities from county to county in cess tax valuation.

I also notice how conveniently the LA has reduced the Band estimate in towns & villages by one band, compared to adjacent rural townlands. This presumably as most properties are in the towns / villages and this is where the local councillors get maximum resistance. Forget the fact that the same towns/ villages are where any services that are provided are put.

• Advertisement

I think they are taking the piss with proposed valuations. A house 2 doors down from my Dads house went for 120,000 under the proposed band they put my Dads house in.

Terry Pratchet

Huh?

Its self valuation. You either

A accept revenues proposed valuation OR

B propose your own

Terry Pratchet

As far as I can tell, the Revenue are not setting any valuation bands. They are simply publishing the guidance being provided by individual local authorities, which same councillors have annually reviewed LPT and raised or lowered it in their counties according to their electoral needs. So as I've pointed out, there can be significant differences between the default valuation between adjacent counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

You cannot "accept" Revenue's estimated valuation for your geographical area. You need to estimate what band the market value of your property falls into.

Have a look at Cork or Wicklow on https://lpt.revenue.ie/lpt-web/valuation-guide/index.htm

You can practically pick out the county boundaries by looking at the variation in colour between their expectations and those of neighbouring CoCos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

You cannot just accept the band revenue have put.

you have to put your own valuation and be able to stand over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Of course you can

If they suggest a band then you can put that as your valuation.

Terry Pratchet

Correct. They didnt set any bands. They put properties into proposed/guideline bands.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

Unfortunately, you are 100% wrong. The following is from Revenue's website,

"Local property Tax (LPT) is a self-assessed tax, based on your own valuation of your property, as at 1 November 2021.

You can value your property, as at 1 November 2021, by referring to the interactive valuation tool that Revenue has provided to guide you. The next page in this section explains how to use the interactive valuation tool.

You can also refer to other information sources and advice to help you to determine the market value of your property. The Other information sources for valuation page in this section has more advice on using those sources to help you to value your property.

The interactive valuation tool and other sources will provide indicative average values for properties in an area. The average valuation band for properties in your immediate area, as indicated by the interactive valuation tool, may not reasonably reflect the value of your own property. It is important that you also consider the specifics of your own property. Your property may have certain unique features that you should take into account when determining its value."

The suggested band is based on your geographical area and not your individual property.

Advertisement