Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

Thunder in North Kildare, coming from direction of Newbridge. Very ominous looking clouds and it is unbearably muggy and humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rainfall rate of well over 500mm/h at nearest Met Eireann station at 6pm:

And a couple of miles down the road here, not a drop!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The sea fog has rolled in to North Dub. Showers few kilometers to the west.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭lolie

Plenty of lightning from that cell in the distance over Edgeworthstown lighting up the clouds and faint rumbles, cant go to a better viewing spot though.

Post edited by lolie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It is :) I work on the floor above where that video was shot. I have no idea why my photograph uploaded sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I wish I had steady hands like that person lol :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Last 24 hrs detected sferics on the ATD system, a few early morning strikes detected.

Was talking to people down in Kenmare that said they had a lot of thunder early Thursday morning that was not picked up.

Torro's Autumn conference coming up on the 9th of October , held online and free to register, I attended the last one and found it very informative and enjoyed it very much, might be of interest to some. Click on the link for more information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Was some great viewing of very active thunderstorms last night when flying home from Barcelona. I passed right next to one at one point, flashes every second or less, like a strobe light at times. I also saw a few fairly distant storms and saw dozens of blue jets. Fascinating stuff. Plenty of associated turbulence at times which added to the excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Reminds me of a flight I was on years ago coming home from Tenerife at night. There was a massive TS and turbulence the whole length of Portugal and I was like a little kid glued to the window watching the sky rip itself asunder. It was unbelievably good! My wife (then GF) was beside me in the centre seat who was disinterested in proceedings despite my pestering. In the isle seat was an older and very pleasant lady dozing and when she realised I was excited by the lightning, she duly produced her beads cracked off a decade of the Rosary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

M.E. forecasting thunder for tonight, is it likely?

Was that on the television or radio forecast as I don't see it mentioned on their website or app....

Persistent rain will arrive on the west coast tonight, turning heavy at times and steadily moving eastwards through the night. Lowest temperatures of 14 or 15 degrees in moderate southerly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I would've needed a proper camera with a telephoto lens to pick them up, not a hope with my 3 year old basic work phone. Absolutely fully sure that what I saw were the jets above the storms. Did not at all expect to witness them. The storm in question was probably 100km or possibly a good bit more away..... Quite difficult to judge at cruising altitude. Quite a sight to see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I witnessed something similar while flying over Turkey a few weeks ago, could see what appeared to be anvil clouds and constant lightning making the cloud tops go yellow. This took place when the sun began to rise, adding to the magic. It was fairly distant so no turbulence, not quite as exciting as your experience!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Met Eireann. On the hourly forecast for my location. Still showing thunder for 2am. I very much doubt it though!

ECM showing a small amount of CAAPE along the SW, S coasts later tonight into tomorrow morning as the front passes, could certainly produce some embedded convection producing heavy showers , not too sure if much chance of thunderstorms. If they do occur look fairly isolated and mostly over the sea, maybe a small bit of activity clipping the coast at most but chances look rather low would think.

A few sparks off the coast.

Very heavy rain here near Tralee , 6 4mm in a very short time, rain rate 31.4mm for a bit.

• Advertisement

Parameters for Convective weather later Sunday and for the first few days of the week, mentions of hail and thunderstorm potential on forecasts for Monday and Tuesday, maybe a bit Weds also. Cold upper pool in over Ireland and with the warm SST's and upper vorticity with Jet nearby and movement of Lp's and troughs all aiding instability. Bit of a change from the prolonged mild settled spell. Locally heavy squally showers possible on Monday especially along Atlantic coastal counties and possibly moving inland a bit.

The band of rain is making good progress the country at the moment. Looks like a squall like feature is developing in the midlands, as the cooler air is forcing the much warmer air to ascend rapidly and condense.

Post edited by highdef on

The squall like feature is really quite active looking as it moves across parts of the mid-east

A very defined feature now, probably helped by the greater contrasts in temperature as the east has been rather warm today. Wouldn't rule out a spark or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sudocremegg

Rain totally stopped here now in Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sudocremegg

Can still see it pushing sort of North. But looks like midlands to Kildare is currently getting lashed on.

Been an age since we have seen some big Congestus or Cumulonimbus, CAPE values look half decent for some isolated thunderstorms and hail possible. Most possibility looks to be along the Atlantic coastal counties and in the Western half of the country. Possible for some heavy localized showers. Sunny spells also. Fresh along the coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Lighting and thunder off kinsale coast just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just heard rolls of thunder there in Salthill, Galway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heard in Newcastle also thunder reported in Connemara as well from a friend

Advertisement