Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Options

Comments

It'll be twitter I'm afraid and I am sifting through to find ones with lightning

I could only stand at my hall door for this

Would need scuba gear outside 🤣🤣

Internet very slow here

Brief one of the rain but you can hear the thunder in the background

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1429149763958714368?s=20

Saw some strong lightning out to sea there just now due east se of Arklow

And more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lightning just lit up the sky to my east

Post edited by pad199207 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

3 strikes south of us here in Dundrum in last 10 mins - getting closer by the looks of it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Couple of flashes just off the coast here in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

All the fun stuff seems to have passed to the north and south of me in Bray. A few 5-10 minute intervals of drizzle and light rain was all we got down the Seafront area all day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just an indication of where the storms were today, from accounts only very few of the strikes recorded ,the ATD is tuned more for CG strikes.

That seems to have picked up the strikes over me pretty well

As per @highdef 's request

Here's 2 minutes of it on YouTube at the start of it

A very rare one where the thunder continued non stop with one rolling into another indicating a lot of lightning

Unfortunately my view at the hall door is restricted but you can make out one or two lightning flashs I think

I'm unsure how to embed youtube links on the new boards

Its a pity it wasn't night time

https://youtu.be/ahEIEfKoUCY

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not bad I suppose over Arklow but with 40 minutes of continuous thunder that you mentioned in an earlier post if all the strikes were picked up there would be maybe around 5 to 10 times that number of sferics showing up , Met Eireann do a good piece on it here . https://www.met.ie/climate/what-we-measure/lightning

Great video.

Yes the vast majority of the lightning must have been IC (inter cloud) and quite high based stuff considering despite being overhead it struggled to get very loud bar a few louder pops

Must say I was impressed with it,considering it was a home grown storm that built itself locally and got so very electrified

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

If you are like me and suffering major withdrawals due to lack of decent summer thunderstorms, then check out this very photogenic storm in Majorca LIVE right now :-

Majorca: Algaida2- LiveCam-Pro

Was very nice looking as the sun set. Will probably be very dark soon though!

Jeez, what I'd give to be in Palma tonight

ECM showing thunderstorm potential late Tues night but more so early Weds morning from midnight on moving into the SW, S and up through the country, more so the Western half , maybe the SE also, still evolving . Showing potential throughout the day further up the country.

So looking at very warm temperatures overnight ( after temps of 25 to 27C Tues ), as high as 17 to 18C for a time with corresponding high Dp's and temps getting up to the low 20's during Weds. A trough / occluded front associated with a Lp to the S of Ireland will be drawn up over the country with a high theta E reading . 850 hPa temps of 14 to 15C possible towards daylight hours. Areas of convergence especially in the SW and along S and SE coast and up along the W and NW coastal areas. Orographic lift in the SW, W and NW should help also. Decent amounts of LLS and DLS. Some localized heavy rain if the thunderstorms get going . Have found these set ups can really produce good storms at times but then at times nothing materializes . Met Eireann mentioning Thurs for possible thunderstorms but nothing yet for Weds, same as MT. WRF showing plenty of MUCAPE as Weds progresses .

Could be elevated storms in nature, ECM showing potential for a few hefty storms . Will they materialize , any thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It looks a decent chance for the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Scattered cells moving in to southern areas later tonight, not making much progress, dying out as they move inland. Then more up the east coast tomorrow evening/night and more widespread Thursday.

Some good downpours. Hard to know how prolific storms will be right now. Certainly looks like a decent chance of elevated lightning activity in the east.

Something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The dog was stuck under the kitchen table this evening and didn't want to move to go to bed in his box.

Very rarely the dog is inside and only time he's like that is when there's thunder. My father replied there must be thunder on the way. The sun is beaming down with ne'r a cloud in the sky. So I had to click in here to see and sure enough the thread is here and you've posted Kermit.

I'm in Wexford.

Blame it on Ted if it doesn't materialise..🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

not sure what areas are at most risk, latest GFS has the heaviest preciptation at 6am Thursday from South Roscommon up through East Mayo, Leitrim and Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Good cluster of storms in the Celtic Sea, could they be coming our way?

Exact same with the Cattle dog here

He couldn't be got out of the kitchen!

This always happens during thunder but never before it,something bad coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Plenty Altocumulus overhead now near Arklow

1st pic looking north

2nd pic looking SSE toward the Celtic sea at the cloud bank,its a balmy 18c

Nice convection and good cluster of sferics, interesting 24 hrs and Thursday to follow perhaps.

Looks a standard direction of travel there for wave one

In the south coast/waterford spreading NNW that's tonight/morning

2nd wave enters via the east/SE maybe up tge East Coast points inland

3rd wave Thursday-Anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Certainly interesting out to our Southwest!! Really balmy evening here in Cork must be warmest night for quite a while.

Will the storms move up over us? My gut says we have a decent chance between later tonight and tomorrow.

Though as ever nothing is certain and Met Eireann don't seem to see anything special which is noteworthy

Thats it

Jinxed now

No storms for anyone especially Cork

• Advertisement

Strikes showing up in kinsale on Blitzortung

5:13 thunder in waterford

Post edited by spookwoman on

Advertisement