Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes on the coffee table

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Other countries good, Ireland bad, gotcha. Moronic argument to be fair

Nah, just more civilized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

bubblypop wrote: »
    Or they might feel that dragging crap from the streets around the floors of their home is just gross.
    Oh god if there's crap on shoes of course they should be taken off.

Other countries good, Ireland bad, gotcha. Moronic argument to be fair

So I'm not normal and I am a moron?
    Because I don't believe in walking outside crap around inside the house?
    Good reasoning there

• Registered Users Posts: 34,535 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh god if there's crap on shoes of course they should be taken off.

There are all kinds of things on your shoe soles that you're walking all over the house. You could have inadvertently walked through some scumbags spit he coughed up and didn't notice.

I would never ask guests to remove shoes but have gotten into the habit of it myself and yeah, it does seem a little bit mank to be walking on the streets and then walking all over your floors/carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Good reasoning there

Do you change all your outdoor clothes when you go indoors as well, youd never know what you'd have brushed off that could wipe out your entire household

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Do you change all your outdoor clothes when you go indoors as well, youd never know what you'd have brushed off that could wipe out your entire household

Do you often roll around on the ground when you go outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Why the paranoia about germs? Most of us have a functioning immune system.

The power of marketing has a lot of people believing they need to sanitise surfaces in their homes, keep it clean and cut back on the chemicals. Humans would be extinct for millenia if they were necessary.

Master of the Universe

The power of marketing has a lot of people believing they need to sanitise surfaces in their homes, keep it clean and cut back on the chemicals. Humans would be extinct for millenia if they weren necessary.

It's not paranoia about germs, I just am not too fond of the idea of having what's on the street walked all over my house. Simple as that really.

o1s1n wrote: »
    There are all kinds of things on your shoe soles that you're walking all over the house. You could have inadvertently walked through some scumbags spit he coughed up and didn't notice.

I would never ask guests to remove shoes but have gotten into the habit of it myself and yeah, it does seem a little bit mank to be walking on the streets and then walking all over your floors/carpets.

I think it's fine to ask anyone to take off shoes when they walk in. Best scenario is to have clean slippers ready for guests.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Nah, just more civilized.

Obviously, care to point out which countries are more civilised than our own little country or is your default position the self hating Irish person that's surprisingly common on boards these days

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I think it's fine to ask anyone to take off shoes when they walk in. Best scenario is to have clean slippers ready for guests.

That's where We'll disagree I'm afraid! :D

Its seen as rude in Irish culture, if someone is coming to my house they're doing me a favour by visiting, don't want to be putting them out/making them feel uncomfortable or insulted.

Well I don't be rolling around on the streets where someone spat, or pissed or some dog ****.
    But tbh, I do wear different clothes inside, shorts, tracksuit bottoms etc
    Is that abnormal too?

And wash them after they leave? A selection of sizes ready and waiting at the front door? What if a guest has Athlete's foot or a verruca? Or smelly shoes left festering at your door to stink out your hall?

Do you often roll around on the ground when you go outside?

Read my post again, if you're going to try to look intelligent try to get the content right, I never mentioned rolling on the ground

Obviously, care to point out which countries are more civilised than our own little country or is your default position the self hating Irish person that's surprisingly common on boards these days

Just replied to your post

"Other countries good, Ireland bad, gotcha. Moronic argument to be fair."

Master of the Universe

Read my post again, if you're going to try to look intelligent try to get the content right, I never mentioned rolling on the ground

I just read your post again, yep, still had no bearing on the discussion unless you're doing the same thing with your clothes that you're doing with your shoes.

Hence why I inferred that you must roll around on the ground a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,427 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well I don't be rolling around on the streets where someone spat, or pissed or some dog ****.
    Is that abnormal too?

I thought it was just me that did this lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The power of marketing has a lot of people believing they need to sanitise surfaces in their homes, keep it clean and cut back on the chemicals. Humans would be extinct for millenia if they were necessary.

Who knows, without walking all this “crap” into the house there could have a negative effect on building up your immune system.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Is that abnormal too?

Not at all, if they're dirty take them off, do you put your feet on surfaces you regularly touch or lick, it could be a symptom of ineffective cleaning of surfaces or lacking in personal hygiene if what's on the sole of your shoe ends up on your kitchen countertop

Master of the Universe

Who knows, without walking all this “crap” into the house there could have a negative effect on building up your immune system.

So a major part of a strong immune system is having watery dog ****e and scumbag phlegm on your carpets?

Who knew!

• Advertisement

Not at all, if they're dirty take them off, do you put your feet on surfaces you regularly touch or lick, it could be a symptom of ineffective cleaning of surfaces or lacking in personal hygiene if what's on the sole of your shoe ends up on your kitchen countertop

You're strangely annoyed by people removing their shoes in their own house?
    Did someone steal your Manolo Blahniks when you were attending a child's party?

Just replied to your post

"Other countries good, Ireland bad, gotcha. Moronic argument to be fair."

You still haven't said which countries you think are more civilised, or why you think it, apart from shoes inside the house of course

How far we've come as a nation.

No shoes indoors...

Behave.

You're strangely annoyed by people removing their shoes in their own house?
    Did someone steal your Manolo Blahniks when you were attending a child's party?

About as annoyed as you are by wearing them inside, I've no idea what manolos are, a type of wellies maybe?

About as annoyed as you are by wearing them inside, I've no idea, I've no idea what manolos are, a type of wellies maybe?

I just think it's gross

I'd rather walk whatever invisible things are on my shoes around the house until I change into about-the-house clothes, than have shoes and slippers strewn inside the front door.

That craic is grand if you have a mud room, but not in most houses.

I feel so disadvantaged- we've no mud room

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good reasoning there

I can count on one hand the number of houses in Ireland I've been asked to remove shoes and I'd have fingers left over.

So a major part of a strong immune system is having watery dog ****e and scumbag phlegm on your carpets?

Who knew!

You'd know if you have dog crap, watery or not. Wipe your feet as you come in, the world is not a sterile place and we shouldn't get obsessed about germs.

Carpets are probably worse than shoes indoors, full of dust mites and their faeces no matter how vigorously you vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I always take off my shoes at my own door but don't insist guests do the same. However, when I had babies crawling around the floors and a child on chemotherapy I insisted on the no shoes routine and provided washable slippers or plastic overshoes.

I am a firm believer in allowing children play in the garden and mud doesnt bother me but steet dirt is a different matter, especially for vunerable people.

• Advertisement

I feel so disadvantaged- we've no mud room

Very few do, that was my point. I'd hate shoes and slippers cluttering up the hall.

Advertisement