Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes on the coffee table

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And where you can't see what's going on in the kitchen!

With their shoes on !

Esel wrote: »
    You would demand that a builder, carpenter, electrician or plumber work without footwear, in contravention of H&S etc.? How is that working out for you?

They carry plastic to put over their shoes. At least in the UK it is a standard.....never had a tradesperson without shoe covers and is done unquestionably. Plumber, handyman, electrician, builder....all have covered their shoes. Sometimes without asking when they see the pile of shoes at the front door. Haven’t had any round in Ireland though since have been back so maybe not normal here

(Maybe it’s more normal in London, given the notions of the English!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

(Seriously tho, take off your shoes, or don't. I guarantee, nobody cares)
    Ah now, only a few posts ago you said it would bother you if asked to remove your shoes unless there was a crawling baby.

And as you can see on this thread alone, plenty of people care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    How do people who think shoes in a house are disgusting feel about eating in a restaurant where everyone has shoes on ? Just wondering ?

And do these people take their shoes off in a doctor’s surgery or a clinic or a hospital ?
    Or in a library or a shop for that matter ?

I don’t think shoes are disgusting etc. We just don’t wear them inside our house.

At my physio practice in Finland there was a cloakroom and you’d take off coats and shoes and don plastic clog things in it before your appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Greyfox wrote: »
    The point is there is no such thing as outdoor shoes, they are simply called shoes. Also everyone knows that slippers are not outdoor shoes, if you want to call something by its incorrect name go ahead, have your fun.

Lol the only time I ever heard the words indoor shoes being used was primary school at the convent - we all had to change out of our shoes and into these plimsole things - every classroom had a locker room with tiny cubbyholes just to store the shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's just in the context of the discussion that people are using the terms indoor and outdoor shoes.

Obviously, outdoor shoes means shoes that are worn out and about in the world as opposed to shoes reserved for wearing in your home which could be slippers, flip flops, runners, thigh high boots or dead birds.
    Just looking for arguments around the actual discussion!

fits wrote: »
    I don’t think shoes are disgusting etc. We just don’t wear them inside our house.

At my physio practice in Finland there was a cloakroom and you’d take off coats and shoes and don plastic clog things in it before your appointment.

Every house I was ever in when in Finland had no shoes inside.

Yes, there is very heavy snow in Finland.

Yes, there is very heavy snow in Finland.

No.
    Sometimes there is very heavy snow
    Sometimes there is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

bubblypop wrote: »

Same. No exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Greyfox wrote: »
    The point is there is no such thing as outdoor shoes, they are simply called shoes. Also everyone knows that slippers are not outdoor shoes, if you want to call something by its incorrect name go ahead, have your fun.

Oh dear. Go and have a lie down, do. I call them outdoor shoes. But then I'm West Indian and that's what we call them.You call them whatever you like. Either way - it's not going to change my life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oh dear. Go and have a lie down, do. I call them outdoor shoes. But then I'm West Indian and that's what we call them.You call them whatever you like. Either way - it's not going to change my life!!

The German word for slippers is Hausschuhe ! ( house shoes )

No.
    Sometimes there is very heavy snow
    Sometimes there is not!
    But the not wearing shoes inside thing in countries with heavy snow... stems from the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

abff wrote: »
    In New Zealand, it’s customary to take off your shoes when entering someone’s home. It would be considered very bad manners not to do so.

I live in New Zealand and this is not true at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Timmyr wrote: »
    I live in New Zealand and this is not true at all

Not ever? Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick when I was over there, but it was definitely the custom in the houses that my wife and I visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

abff wrote: »
    Not ever? Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick when I was over there, but it was definitely the custom in the houses that my wife and I visited.

I've been here a good few years and most of my friends are kiwis and not once have I seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Timmyr wrote: »
    I've been here a good few years and most of my friends are kiwis and not once have I seen it

Very strange. Maybe it was a custom where my daughter lived? I must ask her the next time I’m talking to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

As per the original question . . .

Shoes on the floor yes ✓
    Shoes on the coffee table no X

They carry plastic to put over their shoes. At least in the UK it is a standard.....never had a tradesperson without shoe covers and is done unquestionably. Plumber, handyman, electrician, builder....all have covered their shoes. Sometimes without asking when they see the pile of shoes at the front door. Haven’t had any round in Ireland though since have been back so maybe not normal here

(Maybe it’s more normal in London, given the notions of the English!)

Covering shoes as a tradesman isn’t taking them off. Not the same thing.

Yes. Like a lot of snowy countries. Makes sense.

I occasionally watch Nordic shows though and I don’t see it. Maybe they just don’t show it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wrong. Slippers are not worn outdoors, are they?? And I call them outdoor shoes. Stop shouting and tell me what your point is....

Called them whatever you want, theyre still shoes. Slippers are indoor wear, like pyjamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It never snows in Singapore.
    I've never seen someone wear shoes in homes in Singapore.

Weather alone does not explain the cultural differences.

Also, if it's just because of the snow, how come Scandis behave the same way in Summer?

I occasionally watch Nordic shows though and I don’t see it. Maybe they just don’t show it.

Of course it doesn't snow all the time.
    And yes obviously those TV shows you watch don't show everything #rolleyes#

Advertisement