Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes on the coffee table

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

so does the floor that you are now walking around on and are in direct contact with rather than with a nice protection layer in between

No because I clean my floors and I wear house shoes or just socks. And I want my floors to stay clean so no shoes tracking in dirt from outside.
    all that filth is then captured by the socks and transferred to the shoes where it will fester and make things worse the next time they are taken off to transfer the contents to the next floor

No filth when you clean your floors regularly and wear house shoes. Socks go in the washing machine.

But then there are all the other times when people don't have dog poo on their shoe. I don't think I've ever trod in one.

But sweaty socks exist. Far more manky IMO than invisible dirt on guests' shoes on my floors which I sweep and disinfect anyway.

That's what house shoes or slippers are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Greentopia wrote: »
    No because I clean my floors and I wear house shoes or just socks. And I want my floors to stay clean so no shoes tracking in dirt from outside.

No filth when you clean your floors regularly and wear house shoes. Socks go in the washing machine.

all floors have dirt on them.
    even if your floor was perfectly clean before a visiter walked on it then it definetly isnt then. and you are walking on it aswell. now you are in contact with all the dirt from their feet.
    if everyone wears shoes then no one is in contact with any extra dirt that is not in their shoes already.

taking your shoes off is far more disgusting and un hygienic than shoes in the house

Ok, I've made a decision.

I wear my shoes in my house all the time, so does my wife and 3 kids. And all visitors.

If anyone asks me to take their shoes off in their house, I'll naturally comply. Their house, their rules.

But in future when the same person comes to my house, they will have to take their shoes off. So they can walk around barefoot on my filthy floors, soaking all that street-grime into their pores, while I and the rest of my sane guests are fully protected by footwear, just as Jehovah intended. My house, my rules.

I bring my own house shoes when visiting someone else's house, that way no-one needs dirty feet or floors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭I see sheep

If someone started taking their shoes off after coming in, I'd tell them to leave the shoes on or feck off.

• Advertisement

all floors have dirt on them.
    even if your floor was perfectly clean before a visiter walked on it then it definetly isnt then. and you are walking on it aswell. now you are in contact with all the dirt from their feet.
    if everyone wears shoes then no one is in contact with any extra dirt that is not in their shoes already.

taking your shoes off is far more disgusting and un hygienic than shoes in the house

First of all as I said I clean and wash my floors-wooden so easy to keep clean.

I would clean before a guest arrived, so yes it would be perfectly clean.

Visitors either bring their own house shoes or use mine when they enter at the front door so any dirt from their shoes stops there.

Explain to me how wearing house shoes or slippers is "far more disgusting and un hygienic than shoes in the house". House shoes= no dirt on them, cleaned regularly in the machine. Outdoor shoes= always some dirt on the soles being tracked in if worn indoors.

My partner is German, as is my closest friend. Germans in my experience of them and having lived there are exceptionally, almost fanatically clean in their homes, which is why they never allow outdoor shoes in their homes and use house shoes. Same as in most other continental countries. We're the outliers.

If someone started taking their shoes off after coming in, I'd tell them to leave the shoes on or feck off.

Why? they're being considerate to your home as guests :confused:

The possibility of sweaty socks, unwashed feet, athlete's foot and verruca -vs- the possibility of a bit of dirt and germs I encounter every day?

I'll take the latter on my floors please.

House shoes and slippers exist for that reason. ;)

First of all as I said I clean and wash my floors-wooden so easy to keep clean.

I would clean before a guest arrived, so yes it would be perfectly clean.

Visitors either bring their own house shoes or use mine when they enter at the front door so any dirt from their shoes stops there.

Explain to me how wearing house shoes or slippers is "far more disgusting and un hygienic than shoes in the house". House shoes= no dirt on them, cleaned regularly in the machine. Outdoor shoes= always some dirt on the soles being tracked in if worn indoors.

My partner is German, as is my closest friend. Germans in my experience of them and having lived there are exceptionally, almost fanatically clean in their homes, which is why they never allow outdoor shoes in their homes and use house shoes. Same as in most other continental countries. We're the outliers.

if you isolate the dirt areas down to dirt on the floor, dirt on the shoes and dirt on feeet.
    every option exept leaving on shoes results in more dirt on the persons feet. thats the only variable that truly matters. its the one that puts dirt on the person. it doesnt matter if the shoes or floor is dirty if we make no contact with it

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Ive dipped in and out of this stupid thread and each time I've had my shoes on the coffee table, which I eat probably half my meals off of, and the coffee table is in front of a couch that has seats that can recline which I never use, because it just isnt as comfortable and then you have to push the reclining bits in every time you get up.

And this is how I browse the internet every day since Al Gore invented it. I'm still alive. Putting your feet up on the coffee table is one of the few joys a man has left during lockdown. Anyone who thinks it's bad or wrong is definitely an OCD anal retentive zero craic dork. And any time I had to take my shoes off in somebody's house I play along the first time and just never go back. Life is too short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

All these people who only ever have muck covering their shoes no matter what, and have a trail of filth following them wherever they go - I don't know any of them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I bring my own house shoes when visiting someone else's house, that way no-one needs dirty feet or floors :)

I’ve a very strict no house-shoe rule. How do I know you haven’t been walking on filthy piss and vomit soaked carpets in them in other people’s houses? I can’t take the chance.

if you isolate the dirt areas down to dirt on the floor, dirt on the shoes and dirt on feeet.
    every option exept leaving on shoes results in more dirt on the persons feet. thats the only variable that truly matters. its the one that puts dirt on the person. it doesnt matter if the shoes or floor is dirty if we make no contact with it

How could it possibly when your feet are covered in indoor shoes?? And it very much does matter to me if the floor and shoes are dirty. Outdoor shoes left at the front door so not making a mess of the rest of my house. No dirt on feet for the reasons I gave. Result? clean house. Maybe keeping floors clean matters less to you, but I hate mine being dirty.

Would you be comfortable putting your indoor shoes up on someone else sofa? no problem for any guests of mine who have indoor shoes on, so they can be more relaxed than wearing hard outdoor shoes. Plus slippers and house shoes are more comfortable indoors anyway.
    The last thing I want to keep on when I come home or go to a friends home for a dinner or get together is hard shoes.

Ive dipped in and out of this stupid thread and each time I've had my shoes on the coffee table, which I eat probably half my meals off of, and the coffee table is in front of a couch that has seats that can recline which I never use, because it just isnt as comfortable and then you have to push the reclining bits in every time you get up.

And this is how I browse the internet every day since Al Gore invented it. I'm still alive. Putting your feet up on the coffee table is one of the few joys a man has left during lockdown. Anyone who thinks it's bad or wrong is definitely an OCD anal retentive zero craic dork. And any time I had to take my shoes off in somebody's house I play along the first time and just never go back. Life is too short.
    Shoes on the coffee table - up to you in your home but that's not something I'd do or be happy with others doing in my home. I'm also one of those critical and questioning of the bizarre idea that shoes with no visible dirt on them are "disgusting" though, and when there are more floor disinfecting options than ever before and we don't eat off the floor anyway.

It doesn't have to be a case of just one or the other.

What you do in your own home is your business but out of consideration for others I bring my own indoor shoes to wear in someone else's house.

I put my feet up and on the sofa, nothing wrong with that, but definitely wouldn't in my outdoor shoes. Plus I want to take my shoes off the minute I get home so I can relax. Socks or slippers feel far more comfortable on wooden floors or carpets than keeping hard shoes on.

How could it possibly when your feet are covered in indoor shoes?? And it very much does matter to me if the floor and shoes are dirty. Outdoor shoes left at the front door so not making a mess of the rest of my house. No dirt on feet for the reasons I gave. Result? clean house. Maybe keeping floors clean matters less to you, but I hate mine being dirty.

Would you be comfortable putting your indoor shoes up on someone else sofa? no problem for any guests of mine who have indoor shoes on, so they can be more relaxed than wearing hard outdoor shoes. Plus slippers and house shoes are more comfortable indoors anyway.
    The last thing I want to keep on when I come home or go to a friends home for a dinner or get together is hard shoes.

i wouldnt wear someone elses shoes . thats even worse.

this isnt a situation where dirt is visably coming off the shoes. in that case definetly take them off. but this is more about resedue and germs
    you need to clean your floors regularly anyway. there are lots of things dirtying it and shoes wouldnt be the top of that

i would never put my shoes up on someone furtniture. thats very disrespectfull.
    i dont understand the logic of putting on more comfortable shoes once you get home. why not get more comfortable shoes and wear them all the time. i wear the same boots morning till night 99% of the time. everyday. they are perectly fine and comfortable

Indoor shoes and outdoor shoes. Indoor clothes and outdoor clothes. It has finally happened: I'm not the oddball for once.

:D

All these people who only ever have muck covering their shoes no matter what, and have a trail of filth following them wherever they go - I don't know any of them myself.

Not all dirt is visible to the naked eye and germs are invisible. Also shoes mark and scuff my parquet floors and can create black marks on my bathroom floor tiles. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not all dirt is visible to the naked eye and germs are invisible. Also shoes mark and scuff my parquet floors and can create black marks on my bathroom floor tiles. No thanks.

Your really sound like Hyacinth now!

i wouldnt wear someone elses shoes . thats even worse.

They would be spare pairs clean for visitors use only obviously. Do you think my partner should fit his feet into my size 5 house shoes? :D
    this isnt a situation where dirt is visably coming off the shoes. in that case definetly take them off. but this is more about resedue and germs
    you need to clean your floors regularly anyway. there are lots of things dirtying it and shoes wouldnt be the top of that

It's visible when I go to clean my floors with extra dirt being picked up. Plus outdoor shoes can mark my floors. And yes germs...which I would rather have less of thanks with a cleaner home.

I clean my floors daily, but that's not the point. I don't want to have to get the vacuum out more than necessary.
    i would never put my shoes up on someone furtniture. thats very disrespectfull.
    i dont understand the logic of putting on more comfortable shoes once you get home. why not get more comfortable shoes and wear them all the time. i wear the same boots morning till night 99% of the time. everyday. they are perectly fine and comfortable

Disrespectful...exactly, which is why I don't wear shoes in other people's homes. I respect their property and expect the same in return.

Are you trying to tell me a pair of outdoor shoes are the same level of comfort as indoor ones? nonsense. There's a reason indoor shoes are made of soft material like the lambskin ones I have on right now. No matter how comfortable outdoor shoes are they're made to be wor on concrete and asphalt so have to be tougher and more durable, and are therefore less comfortable than soft indoor ones.

• Advertisement

Your really sound like Hyacinth now!

I'm really not. Everything I'm saying is the norm on the continent...but I can see how it may seem extreme in this country when you see the rubbish and filth people leave after themselves everywhere...like the city centre on the news today and my local beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Why? they're being considerate to your home as guests :confused:

There's nothing wrong with wearing shoes!

They would be spare pairs clean for visitors use only obviously. Do you think my partner should fit his feet into my size 5 house shoes? :D

It's visible when I go to clean my floors with extra dirt being picked up. Plus outdoor shoes can mark my floors. And yes germs...which I would rather have less of thanks with a cleaner home.

I clean my floors daily, but that's not the point. I don't want to have to get the vacuum out more than necessary.

Disrespectful...exactly, which is why I don't wear shoes in other people's homes. I respect their property and expect the same in return.

Are you trying to tell me a pair of outdoor shoes are the same level of comfort as indoor ones? nonsense. There's a reason indoor shoes are made of soft material like the lambskin ones I have on right now. No matter how comfortable outdoor shoes are they're made to be wor on concrete and asphalt so have to be tougher and more durable, and are therefore less comfortable than soft indoor ones.

i have worn the same pair of boots almost everyday for the past 6 months. they are perfectly comfortable, i very rarely take them off because of discomfort and that would be due to an expesially hard day . im wearing them right now. i buy the same type every time. probaly 10plus years . even a new pair fits perfectly fine .

There's nothing wrong with wearing shoes!

Outdoors, which is what they're made for.
    There is when it's in my home-I value cleanliness and I don't want my wooden floors to have unnecessary marks and scuffs beyond normal wear and tear, nor do I want my furniture destroyed when I put my feet up on my sofa. I apply the same reasoning to other people's homes when I go there and so bring my own soft shoes with me.

I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

i have worn the same pair of boots almost everyday for the past 6 months. they are perfectly comfortable, i very rarely take them off because of discomfort and that would be due to an expesially hard day . im wearing them right now. i buy the same type every time. probaly 10plus years . even a new pair fits perfectly fine .

That's not good for the boots. We should rotate shoes and boots in wear to get the longest use from them...but your choice.

Glad they're comfy but again you can't compare comfort level of a pair of hard soled leather (presumably) boots to a nice pair of soft indoor shoes. If you could indoor shoes wouldn't exist. They're made for extra comfort as well as to save floors and furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's not good for the boots. We should rotate shoes and boots in wear to get the longest use from them...but your choice.

Glad they're comfy but again you can't compare comfort level of a pair of hard soled leather (presumably) boots to a nice pair of soft indoor shoes. If you could indoor shoes wouldn't exist. They're made for extra comfort as well as to save floors and furniture.

Boots are made to be worn however the person who owns them sees fit. Full stop.

Also, your metrics for what constitutes the comfort level of footware is not necessarily the same metrics everyone else uses.

But my wooden floors are sparkling and guests don't take off their shoes.

Boots are made to be worn however the person who owns them sees fit. Full stop.

Also, your metrics for what constitutes the comfort level of footware is not necessarily the same metrics everyone else uses.

Like I wrote: it's their choice, I was just giving my opinion. Of course they're made to be worn, but shoe makers or cobblers for example will tell you it's best to rotate footwear as it allows them to breathe and return to their natural shape when you leave them off for a few days.

My point was as I've already stated, that indoor shoes are created for extra comfort in the home, outdoor shoes are made for outdoor wear on hard surfaces, not for indoor use. No matter how worn in and comfortable a hard pair of shoes are they won't give you the same comfort when you curl up on a sofa as a pair of soft slippers or shoes. Aside from the hygiene issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Ye are both out of order wearing your shoes beyond the hall and front door. Dragging in filthy Street dirt all over the house . Take your shoes off at the front door and problem solved.

I live in Thailand and the notion of wearing my shoes around the house now in uncomfortable like i'm doing something wrong! Take off your shoes at the door, if smelly feet, go wash them.

Also, bum guns, why Ireland does not have these is beyond me. Gloriously clean afterwards :)

• Advertisement

dricko_lim wrote: »
    I live in Thailand and the notion of wearing my shoes around the house now in uncomfortable like i'm doing something wrong! Take off your shoes at the door, if smelly feet, go wash them.

Also, bum guns, why Ireland does not have these is beyond me. Gloriously clean afterwards :)

Yes once you get used to not wearing shoes indoors you never go back. :)

Saw a Danish zero waster who has a bum gun and thought I must look for one myself. Used bidets before and you're right, water is far better to clean with than paper. And less wasteful.

Advertisement