Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water softner and filter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Is it true about the chinese system been dodgy?

From Mao Zedong on, yes, just look around you, C19 just their latest attempt at world domination

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

From Mao Zedong on, yes, just look around you, C19 just their latest attempt at world domination

After the HSE I was only on the look out for our Russian friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Get a Softner with a clack unit on it. Yes they are priced around 350-400.
    You don’t need a drinking water tap unless you’re adding extra filters (reverse osmosis). Softened water on its own is ok to drink. There is no taste of salt or whatever other urban myth is going out there. There is slightly elevated sodium levels in the water so people with heart conditions or sodium sensitivity should probably get it checked out.
    Changing RO filters is easy if you follow the instructions.
    There is no servicing in softners. Just check hardness levels every six months.

I've changed plenty of filters in my time, and ones like these, a doddle.
    Just not familiar with what capability these systems have?
    Appear to have a few small push/pull connections, they dont look like they would provide sufficent flow to fill on the outlet side anything other than the additional tap that appears comes with them for filling a glass or pan at the kitchen sink.

Only supplying a small tap, doesnt provide any protection for the rest of the house? maybe I just cant see all the fittings in the images I found.

Can you get something that you can hook into the mains supply inside the house and feed the entire house off? to fill tanks etc that would seem logical to me if hard water is the issue or any other problems associated with water.
    Anyone have an idea at what hardness level it is advisable to consider fitting something that softens water?
    Just googling the clack, but dont traditional water softeners have a lot of waste water as a by product?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yes but it can taste sh$t

I don’t see why tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Get a clack softener with a nice big tank, fits under the sink if you have space. Lovely soft water throughout house for about 6 quid a month in salt pellets. You'll never look back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

3DataModem wrote: »
    Get a clack softener with a nice big tank, fits under the sink if you have space. Lovely soft water throughout house for about 6 quid a month in salt pellets. You'll never look back.

What is the environmental cost of the water wasted in the back flushing, given that processing waste water is 6 times the cost of producing potable water.
    How many 100 litres is each back flush?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

What is the environmental cost of the water wasted in the back flushing, given that processing waste water is 6 times the cost of producing potable water.

Not sure, but I did find something since replying in this thread, the back flush water is sodium laden, I'd wonder if it could be beneficial or used for something in a domestic setup?
    With sediment filtration, reverse osmosis and maybe UV?? you'd think you could take the water off your gutters and use it.

I thought the clack process suggested was the other different system I cam across, which is a device which uses minute quantities of zinc to soften the water, but doesn't have the waste produced from softening hard water.
    I think now what I found is a different thing altogether, I'll look it up, but Im sure it said it doesnt have the same waste or much in softening hard water.

Really I'd like to think the water is only softened to a point as I understood hard water is just bad on the domestic plumbing but is actually good for consumption (human plumbing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Mine regenerates about 100 times a year or so, probably pushes our water usage up by about 10,000 litres (about 10%) and our processing waste water cost up by about 60%.

Well worth it, for the reduction in appliance and clothing wear and tear.

Would be happy to pay for this service as part of a water tax surcharge, but some people think other citizens should cover this cost for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Is "Clack" the best brand?

3DataModem wrote: »
    Mine regenerates about 100 times a year or so, probably pushes our water usage up by about 10,000 litres (about 10%) and our processing waste water cost up by about 60%.

Well worth it, for the reduction in appliance and clothing wear and tear.

Would be happy to pay for this service as part of a water tax surcharge, but some people think other citizens should cover this cost for me.

Seems to be a bit of a waste of water,
    Not sure how effective this item is, but I'm sure I've seen similar maybe even in B&Q, I found the link to this company in a link to an Independant Newspaper article, not promoting the company, but I was looking at a few last night after reading this thread. I also found a leaflet for a different installer that was put through the letterbox, prices at min double whats quoted for just buying yourself off other places I found by google search online, and even that price was reduced by at least half of their stated normal price, seems a bit outrageous based on what you can buy for that money yourself.
    Anyway, this zinc exchange method seems better than having to replace salt and the waste produced from the process and regeneration which seems like a lot of wasted water. No idea how much it costs though, cant be that much for a one off fitting.

https://renewellwater.com/aquabion/

Im still not clear at what point water hardness becomes a problem, will look it up, hardness seems to be measured by Irishwater in mg/L but they only highlight Calcium Carbonate, maybe thats the main one in the locality they measure, other areas might measure different carbonates.

Actually that company does a different device called a NANODE for a fairly hefty €695, I think thats what I saw initially, might be worth it if the amount of waste water is taken into account and any problems associated with normal softening methods, still fairly steep but the one off outlay might pay off?

• Advertisement

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Is "Clack" the best brand?

Yes

Yes

Why are clack the best as you say? is there some particular technology? they still use salt? or something else?

1874 wrote: »
    Why are clack the best as you say? is there some particular technology? they still use salt? or something else?

They’re better built

They’re better built

Thats not a lot to go on, do they have some specific certification? how can someone compare from one item to another?
    Anything technical?
    How much back flush compared to another make?

Do they have a longer life, better at softening, something particular?

Clack only seems to be a water softener, I've found they seem to have a volumetric function rather than a time based one

Im definitely considering a system, but want something that wastes minimum of water, and carries out all the rest of the functions, filtration and maybe remineralisation for some taps

Advertisement