Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water softner and filter

Options
  • 28-05-2021 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking for a water softner and filter all-in-one.

I don't know if I'm looking correctly, but it seems I need two devices: A water softner and then a water filtering systems that it will feed from the water softner.

I live in a very hard water area, really terrible. so I need to get something, better than a filter jug.

My question is, am I missing something or do I need two different systems: a water softner connected to a filter system ?

This would be for the kitchen sink only.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hello,

I'm looking for a water softner and filter all-in-one.

I don't know if I'm looking correctly, but it seems I need two devices: A water softner and then a water filtering systems that it will feed from the water softner.

I live in a very hard water area, really terrible. so I need to get something, better than a filter jug.

My question is, am I missing something or do I need two different systems: a water softner connected to a filter system ?

This would be for the kitchen sink only.

thanks

For drinking purposes? Or filling a kettle or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    For drinking purposes? Or filling a kettle or both?

Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Have you had the Water tested.?

A water Softener will do just that soften the water by removing or reducing limescale.

Is the Water coming from a Well. If it is a Well you could have other problems also like Iron and Manganese.

Filters don't really stop limescale as it's mostly soluble in the water. But they can catch some of the bigger pieces of limescale.

A water Softner is a filter. If you have limescale then you need to soften the water at source as you’ll need limescale free water throughout the house to protect literally everything the water comes in contact with. Softened water is perfectly ok to drink too but if you want to remove absolutely everything from the water the you’ll need a reverse osmosis water filter.

sky6 wrote: »
    Have you had the Water tested.?

A water Softener will do just that soften the water by removing or reducing limescale.

Is the Water coming from a Well. If it is a Well you could have other problems also like Iron and Manganese.

Filters don't really stop limescale as it's mostly soluble in the water. But they can catch some of the bigger pieces of limescale.

According with Irsh Water website, my address has the following:
    Current mg/l of CaC03 in your water: 396.8, Very Hard
    Average mg/l of CaC03 for your Water Supply Zone> 407.288888888889, Very Hard

I also bought some kits to test and it's very hard.

I don't have a well, this is straight from the public mains.

I've a filter in the shower head and outside the power shower, and before I did this, the shower head would get lime scale in two days, and after the shower, taking out the lead, you could see little pieces like you just arrived from the beach.
    A water Softner is a filter. If you have limescale then you need to soften the water at source as you’ll need limescale free water throughout the house to protect literally everything the water comes in contact with. Softened water is perfectly ok to drink too but if you want to remove absolutely everything from the water the you’ll need a reverse osmosis water filter.

I wouldn't be interested in softening the water in the whole house, I'm happy with the filters in the power shower, and something for the kitchen.
    We use a britta jar filter, and the kettle gets limescale quite easily after 3 or 4 uses in a day. After 2 weeks, the britta filter is no longer working because the use of the kettle drops to 1 or 2 uses, before you need to have to descale it again.

Would the reverse osmosis water filter also handle the hard water, or would I need to softner the water before going through the osmosis filter ?

• Advertisement

Out of intrest, why not soften the entire house?

Yes reverse osmosis will remove everything. You’ll be left with perfect drinking water.

Regarding mains water, I’m on mains too. I installed a 1ppm micron filter out of intrest on the incoming mains, before any other water treatment. Within 2 months the perfectly white filter turns dark brown, full of god knows what. That just shows you what you’re drinking and showering in, without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Out of intrest, why not soften the entire house?

Yes reverse osmosis will remove everything. You’ll be left with perfect drinking water.

Regarding mains water, I’m on mains too. I installed a 1ppm micron filter out of intrest on the incoming mains, before any other water treatment. Within 2 months the perfectly white filter turns dark brown, full of god knows what. That just shows you what you’re drinking and showering in, without realising it.
    Hi is this expensive to get installed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Sorry not trying to jump on thread
    Interested in this myself but want to do the entire house. Shower heads blocking up and recently you take a glass of water, it is all cloudy and then give it 30 seconds and its clear
    Can't be good for you

Checked this out before and the information is limited, no real this is good/bad. Warning about systems and using loads of salt etc so was bamboozled with rubbish stats and left it. Thinking about it again recently due to the poor quality of water.

Loads of people doing a water tap, my brother got in on the "you won a prize BS" which they all seem to use. I think he pays 150 a year maintenace for a tap which seems crazy to me but he loves it and I dont want to be negative especially when I dont have the facts to back it up

ineedeuro wrote: »

Loads of people doing a water tap, my brother got in on the "you won a prize BS" which they all seem to use. I think he pays 150 a year maintenace for a tap which seems crazy to me but he loves it and I dont want to be negative especially when I dont have the facts to back it up

Haha great scam. God love his naive heart. That’s basically a money racket to keep the€€€ coming in for some company. Water softners don’t really need to be serviced. Crowds that install them will tell you otherwise those. Great money spinner. A monkey would change the filters on an RO machine themselves. If you have limescale and also want perfect drinking water then the only option is a salt Softner and reverse osmosis drinking tap.
    You’d prob get the lot installed for 1200ish. Salt for the year would prob cost less than 100 and change filters in the RO every 2-3 years depending on the quality of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Dtp1979 wrote:
    If you have limescale and also want perfect drinking water then the only option is a salt Softner and reverse osmosis drinking tap. You’d prob get the lot installed for 1200ish. Salt for the year would prob cost less than 100 and change filters in the RO every 2-3 years depending on the quality of the water.
    Good advice there. I'm based in Meath and have a water softener. Get it serviced every 2-3 years. Looked into an RO unit but couldn't justify the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've a filter in the shower head and outside the power shower, and before I did this, the shower head would get lime scale in two days, and after the shower, taking out the lead, you could see little pieces like you just arrived from the beach.

The shower head filter only protects the shower head. It offers no protection to the shower itself.

A proper water softening system will pay for itself within a few years as it will prolong the the life of the shower, washing machine, dishwasher, immersion, kettle, iorn etc

shane b wrote:
    Good advice there. I'm based in Meath and have a water softener. Get it serviced every 2-3 years. Looked into an RO unit but couldn't justify the cost.

Out of interest can you remember how much your water softening system cost originally? I have a lot of clients in Balbriggan that are getting shower elements replaced every 18 months or so. They'd have a perfectly functional shower for the first six months or so & then performance starts to suffer

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Out of interest can you remember how much your water softening system cost originally? I have a lot of clients in Balbriggan that are getting shower elements replaced every 18 months or so. They'd have a perfectly functional shower for the first six months or so & then performance starts to suffer

Standard salt Softner installed anywhere from 600-800

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Standard salt Softner installed anywhere from 600-800

Really bad areas would save this in 4 or 5 years (or less) I would think. Some pay me 165 every 18 months for shower exement.

Really bad areas would save this in 4 or 5 years (or less) I would think. Some pay me 165 every 18 months for shower exement.

They’re worth their weight in gold. Even showering in water is so much nicer. I have my entire system working off of reverse osmosis water. Showering is like being cried on by angels

Dtp1979 wrote:
    They’re worth their weight in gold. Even showering in water is so much nicer. I have my entire system working off of reverse osmosis water. Showering is like being cried on by angels

I suppose it would be like rain water. You wouldn't need fabric softener or hair conditioner. Your skin even wouldn't be as dry?

I suppose it would be like rain water. You wouldn't need fabric softener or hair conditioner. Your skin even wouldn't be as dry?

It’s softer than rain water. Correct on the rest

Are we allowed to name companies here? I know a main one seems to be based in Ashbourne I was going to get the main system which is 799.

I want to cover the entire house. So I guess this is the system you need.
    If you install this do you need the drinking water tap?
    MOD NOTE. IT'S BEST NOT TO NAME THEM AS YOU HAVE PROVIDED ENOUGH INFO TO ALLOW SOMEONE TO FIND THEM.

Are we allowed to name companies here? I know a main one seems to be based in Ashbourne I was going to get the main system which is 799.

I want to cover the entire house. So I guess this is the system you need.
    If you install this do you need the drinking water tap?
    MOD NOTE. IT'S BEST NOT TO NAME THEM AS YOU HAVE PROVIDED ENOUGH INFO TO ALLOW SOMEONE TO FIND THEM.

Yes and they’ll insist on servicing it every year. A totally unnecessary Job.

Yes and they’ll insist on servicing it every year. A totally unnecessary Job.

In regards to the service I would probably get them to do, what would you think for average house? every 2 or 3 years?

Of course I will have a look and see if I can do myself but just trying to work out numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

According with Irsh Water website, my address has the following:
    Current mg/l of CaC03 in your water: 396.8, Very Hard
    Average mg/l of CaC03 for your Water Supply Zone> 407.288888888889, Very Hard

Where did you get these number from?
    Have looked but don't see it listed?
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

In regards to the service I would probably get them to do, what would you think for average house? every 2 or 3 years?

Of course I will have a look and see if I can do myself but just trying to work out numbers.

Get a water hardness test kit. Test every six months. When your water stops being soft get a service. It’ll prob be 10 years or so.

Where did you get these number from?
    Have looked but don't see it listed?
    Thanks

https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/water-hardness/

Just put your address there.

My numbers:
    Reading Result
    Current mg/l of CaC03 in your water 219, Hard
    Average mg/l of CaC03 for your Water Supply Zone 219, Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

These suppliers are just selling equipment, are there any good brand names?
    I was sure I heard of these going for the 300-350 mark in the ideal homes before.
    Can these be connected directly into (ie inserted into) the mains supply so they then supply the entire house house supply ie tank and any tap fed with mains water directly from the units? (edit) I say that as I have seen some units where they appear to have a small speedfit type connection in and out and a small tap thats added to the sink, I cant say I'd rely on such a connection under mains pressure, and in my experience they are going to fail eventually, not to mention the tiny outlet, I don't think it would allow enough flow to feed demand for a domestic set up (in the example I saw).

As for servicing, Id have thought replacing the RO and sediment filters is all thats required, and that is simple, water softener? replacing some kind of granular or block of salt.

I did think if water is softened it was less easy to wash in (that it doesnt lather soap or the like easily), that it might taste less pleasant and that it may actually remove essential minerals?

Any brand names?

1874 wrote: »
    These suppliers are just selling equipment, are there any good brand names?
    I was sure I heard of these going for the 300-350 mark in the ideal homes before.
    Can these be connected directly into (ie inserted into) the mains supply so they then supply the entire house house supply ie tank and any tap fed with mains water directly from the units? (edit) I say that as I have seen some units where they appear to have a small speedfit type connection in and out and a small tap thats added to the sink, I cant say I'd rely on such a connection under mains pressure, and in my experience they are going to fail eventually, not to mention the tiny outlet, I don't think it would allow enough flow to feed demand for a domestic set up (in the example I saw).

As for servicing, Id have thought replacing the RO and sediment filters is all thats required, and that is simple, water softener? replacing some kind of granular or block of salt.

I did think if water is softened it was less easy to wash in (that it doesnt lather soap or the like easily), that it might taste less pleasant and that it may actually remove essential minerals?

Any brand names?

Get a Softner with a clack unit on it. Yes they are priced around 350-400.
    You don’t need a drinking water tap unless you’re adding extra filters (reverse osmosis). Softened water on its own is ok to drink. There is no taste of salt or whatever other urban myth is going out there. There is slightly elevated sodium levels in the water so people with heart conditions or sodium sensitivity should probably get it checked out.
    Changing RO filters is easy if you follow the instructions.
    There is no servicing in softners. Just check hardness levels every six months.

Ok call from another company. 20ltr external unit. Clack.
    Nearly double the price of the other supplier.
    Reason: says the other supplier equipment is chinese and will be dead in a few years, Clack has 15 year warranty.
    Any truth in it?

Also can you drink the soften water? I heard this before but he said again you cant and need the tap as well? Thanks

Ok call from another company. 20ltr external unit. Clack.
    Nearly double the price of the other supplier.
    Reason: says the other supplier equipment is chinese and will be dead in a few years, Clack has 15 year warranty.
    Any truth in it?

Also can you drink the soften water? I heard this before but he said again you cant and need the tap as well? Thanks

You can drink softened water. It has slightly elevated sodium levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You can drink softened water. It has slightly elevated sodium levels.

Yes but it can taste sh$t

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Is it true about the chinese system been dodgy?

Advertisement