Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

At least if you work in the PS you can feel that you actually get something for your taxes. Although, in my opinion, anything over a 50% tax rate is stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

Lets see what Leo does in the budget with his promise to mid pay workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Completely depends on the job and the person. High salary does not always equal high stress. Tech is obviously used as the example most of the time - there are lots of software engineers, developers, data scientists etc. on 100k + working normal hours, and no more stress than any other job. Lots of people can do management jobs well without stress, the stress might come in when someone has taken a promotion too far and is in over their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

When you get to the higher tax bracket, maxing out your pension is really important to help reduce your tax burden. Yeah you dont get the benefit right away and you wont see a huge increase in your take home pay but you'll thank yourself when your 65 and have a decent pension

• Registered Users Posts: 21,638 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mid 60's base, earned just over 100k last year all in with RSU vest, bonuses etc.

Work in a tech MNC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tech engineering manager, 140k-150k~ when you factor in bonus/RSU's vest/Pension contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

What does RSU stand for? I’m public sector so the salary’s the salary. Very ordinary compared to some in here

Most public sector will feel "ordinary" vs equivalent private roles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Restricted stock options (edit - units obviously!)

Post edited by GoldFour4 on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

RSU - Restricted Stock Units.

Basically you get x amount of shares say €10,000 worth that "vest" over 5 years, meaning you get €2,000 worth of shares each year provided you stay in the company. If you leave after 2 years, you'll forfeit €6,000 but will have €4,000 of shares.

Options are similar but slightly different, options allow you to buy stock at a predetermined price (usually less than the current value) and it's completely optional whether you buy or not. With units (provided the company is publicly traded) they're basically "free money" (you do pay income tax when they vest and you own the shares, and you pay Capital gains tax if there's a gain when you sell).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭RossGeller

You've hit the nail on the head.

One of my friends is a maths whizz and works as a Financial Analyst in Trading. He's on crazy money (120k+) and finds the job grand. Most laidback person ever. Some people just have a certain kind of brain that they can manage these high paying jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Accountant

Medium practice

55k base salary

Annual bonus 11k

Health insurance paid by employer 1800e

26 days annual leave

5% employer pension contribution

37.5 hours a week,

Remote working and hybrid if I want,

E workers allowance 20 days x 3.20 = 64 tax free monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Average pay in the public sector is significantly higher than the private sector.

And using an average actually closes the gap because nobody in the public sector earns average skewing sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

There is a reason the public sector can not employ experienced IT staff, from the private world.

I'm being out earned by my equivalents, who were in my course. I took a pay cut because I wanted this job.

Previous life in science. Classmates in my science course are earning more base salary in equivalent roles, than public classmates, and that's before bonuses and benefits are factored in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Most public service departments have an image of not being very interesting or challenging places to work with small IT budgets, a lot of bureaucracy and a lot of outsourcing of anything interesting. Those things may not be entirely true but the perception is enough to put a lot of people off applying. The salary is also a factor but it's not the only one.

Outsourcing often happens because salary is not there to attract talent.

General Manager of a function will only earn 90ish, tops. You're not even getting a competent InTune/SCCM engineer for that, never mind an IT security body

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Public service is soft. I know many people working there, family members and it's a doddle.

Good friend of mine left private to join public (council) and one of the first things he was told is don't ask for things through email, ask in person in case there's any freedom of information requests. Full of people working there 20 or 30 years and no pressure or sense of urgency.

Multiple other public service workers I know have all said it's completely soft and less pressure as it's impossible to be let go.

Once you know what it's like, you then realise why our public services are so awful despite the massive budgets they have.

Sure buddy. Understaffed IT departments are totally stress free.

And go off and tell nurses/ambulance/fire/gardaí that they have it soft.

Where I did have it soft: Largest multinational generic pharmaceutical company. Teams upon teams for any individual function. No one there was balancing plates on different IT functions

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It greatly depends on what you do in the public service. Many public servants are paid a wage not a salary and can earn significant amounts above their basic pay in premium payments for weekends, night shifts, Bank Holidays etc. One of my staff has earned 3 times his basic pay with premiums and overtime last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 ShamanRing

I'm around £25k, work as an engineer in a spacetech startup. Won't stick around unless I go to £50k or so in a few months. A lot of companies in this field take the mick because it is such a novel field, they have people offering to work for free to get experience and it is a great place to 'make a name' for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭purpleshoe

IT Project Manager on 80k, plus 10% bonus and RSU's.

Strong salary and I appreciate it. As some have similarly said, in my younger days I thought anyone on this package has it made.

Now that I am there I realise that that is not the case. I am certainly fine but the taxes are massive. I have very much reached the point of diminishing returns. Only being able to offset some taxes against pension contributions makes it worthwhile.

In the months and years ahead, if government fiscal policies load up on those in the 70k to 100k pay bracket, I really can see myself moving to lower paying position and parking all the crap and responsibility that usually comes with the higher paying positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ShamanRing

^on that, I’d be careful about dropping down. Employers are still dropping responsibility on lower paying jobs these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Field service engineer repairing catering equipment. Ie ovens in shops or coffee machines in hotels etc

36k per year

No pension,no overtime, no sick pay, no bonus, no private health insurance

Below average wage slave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Seems like a fairly reasonable list of salaries,

(You can change the salary to Annual)

https://ie.talent.com/salary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Have a look in the market...many many field engineer jobs offering way better than what you currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Do you have to study engineering to become a field engineer?

Domestic service engineers are absolutely raking it in as well.

Have you seen how hard it is to get someone out to repair a washing machine or some such?

• Advertisement

Even if under warranty call out charges make washing machine's and other white goods disposable items. Not under warranty... be mad to call someone out. Slightly off topic... 😄

Advertisement