Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Eternals (MCU)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The trailer has hit 77 million views within the 1st 24hrs of it's online release. A new MCU record during the pandemic.

https://screenrant.com/eternals-movie-trailer-views-marvel-record/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I will give it a chance to show a real trailer and not a bland teaser before I call it as I found this had nothing appealing what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I will give it a chance to show a real trailer and not a bland teaser before I call it

More people should be doing this rather than been so quick to write in off, i thought the trailer was ok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First trailers tend to be "mood" promotional pieces these days; I've no doubt any subsequent ones will be way more plot focused (sometimes to a fault, revealing every story beat). As a taster though, it worked for me, especially as it seemed to be emphasising Zhao's use of naturalistic landcapes currently seen in Nomadland

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Where were these lads when Thanos was wrecking havoc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This will satisfactorily answer that, and any similar questions, in full.... 😑

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good job those eye beams are golden, otherwise the DC Legal Department might have been on the phone quick-smart 😁

I can sorta see the clash between Zhao's style and the preVis action scenes, but am still down for this. I see the November 5 release - do we know if this is going to be another cinema/digital parallel release?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks like a CW show filmed in a few "quarries"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Big improvement on the last trailer

This whole universe is going to become very confusing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Hasn't been decided yet but with Johansson law suit pending they will be thinking twice about a parallel release imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I can't get beyond the absurdity of the excuse given as to what these particular superheroes were up to when half the universe was in danger of dying. Akin to "Sorry, we were told to wait for a future CGI monster threat".

Zero interest in this!

I dunno, if I'm reading the story right, it sounds like the events of End-Game were the catalyst to make these Eternals realise their non-interventionist ideology wasn't a great idea. It at least gives a natural sense of conflict between its set of characters, and a better excuse than the usual "Why didn't the Avengers show up?" line of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

My understanding and I could be wrong is that they have a similar oath to the Watcher in What If, are sworn not to intervene unless the Deviants start causing trouble. It doesn't bother me particularly, I think it's just going to be something we accept like why didn't the other Avengers show up for the other solo movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,284 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd add that Thanos' snap likely happened before the Eternals had time to become aware of it, plus then the Avengers did kill Thanos and the stones were destroyed. Then 5 years later the day the Avengers went back, got the stones, brought everyone back, and then the big attack at Avengers mansion, the Eternals probably also didn't know about it until after the fact. They're all in hiding throughout the world and also seem very separated from each other.

It makes sense that they weren't involved in either Thanos attack, but are using it as a way to say "We need to stop hiding in the background and become more proactive, because we could have helped stop the snap if we were involved"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,346 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The trailers and TV spots really aren't selling this to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Haven't done any tv spots and the trailers seem fine for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Harry Styles as Thanos brother Eros

Chloé Zhao, during the press junket, is saying this film will feature the MCUs first sex scene. How raunchy it'll be given it's a PG13 flick is unclear but it was only when mentioned that it reminded ...yeah. the MCU is a fairly inert and sexless creature as romances go. Gamora / Starlord has been as hot as it gets.

She has also claimed to have chatted to Marvel/Disney about not censoring the openly LGBT superheroes in this, though honestly I'd be shocked if those scenes aren't conveniently extraneous to the plot, and thus perfect for foreign market pruning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In a movie perhaps, Luke Cage might have something to say about getting "coffee" in the extended MCU.

Oh yeah the Netflix shows had a load of bare àss riding, but as we know those shows have been quietly dropped into the MCU Memory Hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Have you not heard they are coming back will daredevil is the start with the same actors and a continuation of the series. Will not be as raunchy

AFAIK this has just been pure internet rumour for now, with Charlie Cox talking down a return when actually asked. I'd be delighted to see D'Onofrios Fisk return but by and large, the Netflix Marvel shows don't exist (and they barely acknowledged the MCU when they did broadcast).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The reviews for this seem like a big old shrug of the shoulders alas.

Chloe Zhao might be the most interesting director Marvel has hired for one of these, but seems like there’s only so much that can be done with the Marvel template.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I started off very enthused about this film but that has slowly been chipped away.

Weird that they let the embargo lift so early, such a move would have suggested they were supremely confident.

Same, if I'm being completely honest. Chloé Zhao felt like a pretty ballsy swing but the vibes, promotions have slowly eroded my enthusiasm. Shang Chi exceeded my expectations so there's always hope but if the vibe coming off this so far is a big collective 🤷 it doesn't bode well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just go see it and make up your own minds leave the reviews till afterwards to see if they allign

Obviously. But if trusted sources whose opinions consistently align with one's own - and would generally have enthusiasm for the MCU - are coming out with tepid-to-negarive responses? That's surprising, and gives me pause.

• Advertisement
Advertisement