Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Eternals (MCU)

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Thanks for being the only person who actually addressed the question rather than go on a rant (on either side).

This makes a sort of sense, but I think it's one of the telling failures of the film that it didn't mention this at all. Superhero films don't have to make "real sense" but they do have to have a consistent *internal logic*. A godlike being obsessed with perfection creating a deaf robot warrior, as someone pointed out previously, didn't make internal logical sense, and totally threw me out. A viewer shouldn't have to read up on the printed promo material in order to follow the character setup - that's evidence of a filmmaking failure of the highest order. Even at that, lots of other parts of the film bang on about the Eternals being immortal, godlike, unkillable, non-human etc etc. Sprite's character arc is totally focused on the fact that they're living lives which "can't relate" to a human one...

And yet there's this one Eternal who has a specific, human-grade weakness, that wasn't offset by her robotic design parameters, by the perfection-obsessed deity that created it? By that logic, shouldn't Thena get burned by the cosmic energy lances she was using? What with, you know, the human imperfection they're at risk of, and all? It smacks of "we want to do a deaf character... where do we put one? Oh, shove one in over there, that's shooting right now! Ah, just make up some stuff in the print background to explain why so it doesn't look forced." But it does look forced. There's acres of space for a deaf superhero in the MCU where it could have just fitted in naturally, but this wasn't it I don't think.

Overall I thought the film was beautiful but poor overall, and that was mostly down to the characters. Nanjani's character could have been an excellent comedic foil but he had literally nothing to bounce off, it was like projecting into a void. Maybe the other actors were told to be as robotic and expressionless as possible, I don't know. The talent was there but I don't get how it was used. Kit Harrington's character was the most rounded and interesting one there.

Advertisement