Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIRO D'ITALIA - STAGE 16 SACILE-CORTINA D’AMPEZZO

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Surely Bernal goes for the Vuelta. There's probably someone way back decades ago but he'd have to be up there with the youngest guy to ever win the 3 GTs if he went and won. Contador was 25 IIRC and he could beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I think those jeans are cutting off his circulation.

There has been some amount of peacocking going on when himself and Adam Blythe are on the couch. It’s like something out of Zoolander. Poor Orla can’t compete with their magnificence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Tim76 wrote: »
    There has been some amount of peacocking going on when himself and Adam Blythe are on the couch. It’s like something out of Zoolander. Poor Orla can’t compete with their magnificence.

Not a pair of socks between the three of them either.

Sean, meantime, continues to champion the "sensible" fleece.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Coneygree wrote: »
    Surely Bernal goes for the Vuelta. There's probably someone way back decades ago but he'd have to be up there with the youngest guy to ever win the 3 GTs if he went and won. Contador was 25 IIRC and he could beat that.

Ineos have a lot of GC mouths to feed. It already be earmarked for one of the others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Suggestions that RCS and RAI, between them, effectively decided to shorten the stage to have at least some live coverage between the two mountain passes that remained. Cortina paid big money to have the finish, so that explains why the final descent was not removed.

There's always some jiggery pokery at the Giro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Insane Watts...... that's his average for the whole day

https://twitter.com/deceuninck_qst/status/1396893786685550600?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Insane Watts...... that's his average for the whole day

https://twitter.com/deceuninck_qst/status/1396893786685550600?s=19

Normalised power for the day. His average power would have been lower. Still a torturous day in the saddle even with the missing climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

How pointless is the white jersey comp in all the grand tours. It’s been won by the overall tour winners recently . Time to reduce the age eligible for it or get rid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Coneygree wrote: »

He should go for the tour . He’s not breaking sweat here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A video taken by a fan showing the riders reaching the summit of the Passo Giau in one and twos.

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    He should go for the tour . He’s not breaking sweat here

Geraint Thomas & Richard Carapaz wouldn't be too happy with that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Isnt the other Yates going as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Their team looks outrageous. Add TGH, Richie Porte and Adam Yates to those two as well as guys like De Plus and Kwiat who will probably finish in the top 25-30 as well. I always thought Astana 09 took the piss but this might be more ridiculous, on paper at least.

retalivity wrote: »
    Isnt the other Yates going as well?

Good question. I was going by ProCyclingStats who have him listed for the Vuelta but not the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

A video taken by a fan showing the riders reaching the summit of the Passo Giau in one and twos.

:cool:
    "there's Quickstep........................oops, no, sorry........you didnt see anything "

Brilliant

Also a few clips here of Bernal going over the Giau KOM and a few seconds on the descent off it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wouldn't have the Giro field that bad - add back in Landa and Buchmann on top of Yates, Carthy and Dan. Biggest question for me remains because this is the second time he's benefitted from shortened stages (I don't think he'd have won that Tour without it). EF had burned off most of the Skineos domestiques by the foot of the final climb - if they'd managed that with two climbs to go it may have been a different ballgame.
    Good question. I was going by ProCyclingStats who have him listed for the Vuelta but not the Tour
    He's targeting the Vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have the Giro field that bad - add back in Landa and Buchmann on top of Yates, Carthy and Dan. Biggest question for me remains because this is the second time he's benefitted from shortened stages (I don't think he'd have won that Tour without it). EF had burned off most of the Skineos domestiques by the foot of the final climb - if they'd managed that with two climbs to go it may have been a different ballgame.

He didnt benefit from a shortened stage yesterday. If the stage was longer, EF would have waited longer to drive things on. He's a Colombian from 2000m+ above sea level. Hugh Carthy is from Preston. Yates is fro Bury, hardly the Altiplano. They might be great at 1000-1500m but if they did Fedia and Pordoi the only man who'd have been comfortable was Bernal. He just rode away once they went up to 2000m, the only reason Bardet gained time was because Egan took it fairly handy on the descent. He could have put another couple of minutes into the GC if they'd been pushing hard on earlier slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Daroxtar wrote: »
    He didnt benefit from a shortened stage yesterday. If the stage was longer, EF would have waited longer to drive things on. He's a Colombian from 2000m+ above sea level. Hugh Carthy is from Preston. Yates is fro Bury, hardly the Altiplano. They might be great at 1000-1500m but if they did Fedia and Pordoi the only man who'd have been comfortable was Bernal. He just rode away once they went up to 2000m, the only reason Bardet gained time was because Egan took it fairly handy on the descent. He could have put another couple of minutes into the GC if they'd been pushing hard on earlier slopes.

I think the same is true of his Tour stage. He went into yellow that day but I think he’d have out even more time into them. It robbed him of a stage win too.

You can't be definitive on altitude having a negative effect on them - plenty of "non altitude natives" have performed ok at that altitude. I'd go as far as say most climbers do - it's more notable for the people that struggle like Valverde. Also, altitude is one thing, how about his back injury?

I guess the overriding point is we'll never know either this Giro or his Tour win. Both have a question mark for me in the same way as people slagging off the field this year (or last year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

He's just confirmed his back is still bothering him and he's not riding the Tour as he wants to focus on the Vuelta.
    https://twitter.com/Copedaleando/status/1397156977315356673?s=20

Daroxtar wrote: »
    He just rode away once they went up to 2000m, the only reason Bardet gained time was because Egan took it fairly handy on the descent.
    Just coming back to this, Bardet is well known as a descender (iirc the descent that Dan and Porte crashed on was supposedly included for his benefit). Also, Bardet on disc brakes, Bernal on rim...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is eurosport only on sky? can i get it FTA?

Subscription TV, or Subscription App - Eurosport Player (multisport) or GCN+ for just the cycling (plus documentaries and shows).

S4C have the Giro, no idea whether it's all in welsh though (TG4 have the Tour live in Irish, but use the English language highlights). I think Quest have highlights too and are FTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

You can't be definitive on altitude having a negative effect on them - plenty of "non altitude natives" have performed ok at that altitude. I'd go as far as say most climbers do - it's more notable for the people that struggle like Valverde. Also, altitude is one thing, how about his back injury?

I guess the overriding point is we'll never know either this Giro or his Tour win. Both have a question mark for me in the same way as people slagging off the field this year (or last year).

I've always had a disliking for Sky, but I'm calling bull$hit on the question mark there. The best climber by quite a bit with a strong team would probably have been in more control rather than less. And lots of 3 week races have had little tweaks and changes over the years. Sounds little begrudgery, tbh.

You can watch quest on their website or the D+ app I think it's called. You need an account but a free one will allow you to watch the channels live. They show highlights of some races like the Giro.

Wasn't there talk of a deal between Discovery and VM to show some racing? Likely the Tour package of ASO races ITV show.
    fryup wrote: »
    is eurosport only on sky? can i get it FTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Friday's stage has been cut as well, was supposed to go up the mountain where the cable car crash was last weekend, its now been bypassed

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

What ever about his Tour win, to say there is a question mark over this Giro is nonsense. He is clearly the strongest and if anything, probably was more of a loss for Bernal to have the stage cut. This is not the 84 Giro when Moser, a so-so climber benefited from having the queen mountain stage cancelled as it would have benefited his main rival Fignon more. If Bernal falters in the final days, then you could possibly question it, but don't think that will happen.

retalivity wrote: »
    Friday's stage has been cut as well, was supposed to go up the mountain where the cable car crash was last weekend, its now been bypassed

Not really much you can say against that decision. Terrible tragedy, 14 dead last I saw. 100% the right call from the organisers.

Detail of the charges here https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-stage-19-rerouted-after-tragic-cable-car-crash-at-mottarone-mountain/

• Advertisement

DonegalBay wrote: »
    What ever about his Tour win, to say there is a question mark over this Giro is nonsense. He is clearly the strongest and if anything, probably was more of a loss for Bernal to have the stage cut. This is not the 84 Giro when Moser, a so-so climber benefited from having the queen mountain stage cancelled as it would have benefited his main rival Fignon more. If Bernal falters in the final days, then you could possibly question it, but don't think that will happen.
    Just a different opinion. It's not just about his climbing ability, but also his injury. But it's alright to diss the field last year, and not throw out there that (assuming he wins) Bernal won't have won a full grand tour? It's the multiple high mountains days that are key. Admittedly, at least the rest of the field knew this one would be shortened ahead of the call (again, couldn't be helped in the circumstances, but at the Tour it wasn't treated as the final climb of the day by the rest of the GC contenders).

Advertisement