Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GIRO D'ITALIA - STAGE 16 SACILE-CORTINA D’AMPEZZO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

It looks properly miserable - I shudder to think how cold it will feel @ 2200m totally sodden. Tough day to be a pro cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

lissard wrote: »
    It looks properly miserable - I shudder to think how cold it will feel @ 2300m totally sodden. Tough day to be a pro cyclist.

Meh - looks worse out my window here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Break

Gorka Izagirre Insausti APT
    Joao Pedro Gonçalves Almeida DQT
    Antonio Pedrero Lopez MOV
    Vincenzo Nibali TFS
    Amanuel Gebreigzabhier Werkilul TFS
    Davide Formolo UAD

Chasing Group @ 35 seconds

Geoffrey Bouchard ACT
    Louis Vervaeke BEL
    Jan Tratnik TBV
    Giovanni Visconti BCF
    Samuele Zoccarato BCF
    Matteo Fabbro BOH
    Felix Grossschartner BOH
    Lorenzo Fortunato EOK
    Jan Hirt IWG
    Daniel Martin ISN
    Koen Bouwman TJV
    Harm Vanhoucke LTS
    Einer Augusto Rubio Reyes MOV
    Davide Villella MOV
    Tanel Kangert BEX
    Nicolas Roche DSM
    Gianluca Brambilla TFS
    Diego Ulissi UAD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sebastian Reichenbach has abandoned the race according to ProCyclingStats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Doesn't Nico tend to suffer badly in crap weather? Put paid to his Vuelta podium hopes a few years back if I remember correctly?

Think the same was said of Dan on the really miserable weather-stage last week that he actually did really well in.

Would be the stuff of dreams for those two to combine - Nico to get stage and Dan to get back into GC top ten. Can't see either happening myself though.

• Advertisement

Their group is 1:32 down on the Nibali group now.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Would love some footage of the chase group with Roche et al. Must be fairly disorganised if they are making this much of a bags of it.

Would love some footage of the chase group with Roche et al. Must be fairly disorganised if they are making this much of a bags of it.

UAE, Trek and Movistar have all got riders in the front 6, so they won't help in the chase.

Dan Lloyd just said that the helicopters are not flying because they don't have authorisation because of the route change, rather than because of the poor weather

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

2C and snowing now at the top of the Giau. I briefly experienced this type of weather a few years ago descending off the Col du Lauteret - I honestly thought I had a mechanical - turned out it was my uncontrollable shivering. I think it is unpredictable what will happen in GC when these types of conditions prevail - otherwise strong riders might well hit the wall. Look how empty MvDP finished after his attack in Tireno Adriatico in March.

• Advertisement

I think Moto 1 would have a better quality picture if he left the lens cap on.

Now that we can see, that break is working very well. No screwing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bernies at the top and 1 degree and snow falling but roads are salted heavilly

the astana lads look like a bunch of deliveroo delivery riders with those rain jackets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It seems these days a lot of bike riders have gone soft. Bettiol saying a lot of them want to race the full thing. A joke really, same last year when they got into buses for two hours because it was raining and they were cold.

Ahem
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113938692&postcount=1

"I'm the type who tends to roll over in bed when I hear the rain for the club ride but I'm determined to go tomorrow"

Now that we can see, that break is working very well. No screwing around.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for the chasing group that includes Dan & Nico. They are going to be caught by the peloton soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It seems these days a lot of bike riders have gone soft. Bettiol saying a lot of them want to race the full thing. A joke really, same last year when they got into buses for two hours because it was raining and they were cold.

The riders have gone soft.
    The riders wanted to race the full stage.

Something doesn't add up there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The riders have gone soft.
    The riders wanted to race the full stage.

Something doesn't add up there ?

Sounds like maybe a few influential riders/teams didn't want to ride the full stage and leaned on the organisers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

This happens all too often at the Giro. I accept the decision to shorten the route, but it only hurts the race and could somewhat diminish Bernal's likely GC victory. And it could be the second time Bernal wins a curtailed grand tour.

Time to look elsewhere for the Giro organisers even if it means less visits to the Alps and Dolomites and more to the Apennines.

• Advertisement

velo.2010 wrote: »
    This happens all too often at the Giro. I accept the decision to shorten the route, but it only hurts the race and could somewhat diminish Bernal's likely GC victory. And it could be the second time Bernal wins a curtailed grand tour.

Time to look elsewhere for the Giro organisers even if it means less visits to the Alps and Dolomites and more to the Apennines.

Problem is they loose a lot of mountain height by not going there and it lowers the quality and reputation of the race but the weather seems to be a big issue for the Giro last few years

neris wrote: »
    Problem is they loose a lot of mountain height by not going there and it lowers the quality and reputation of the race but the weather seems to be a big issue for the Giro last few years

That was always the allure of it though, and to a lesser extent the Vuelta with Galicia in September - the weather is always crap and makes the race more exciting, compared to the Tour. Seems to be more pushback from riders/teams now though...

Who Carthy

Evanepoel 2mins off the back already, stage hunting next week so

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

retalivity wrote: »
    Evanepoel 2mins off the back already, stage hunting next week so

I'd be surprised if he has anything left in the tank.

Wow small group for the GC lads.

Not gonna be Yates's day...

From this group I'd love to see Bardet take a win.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have no idea what’s going on

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Not gonna be Yates's day...

Bernal procession around northern italy from wednesday to sunday

Advertisement