Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIRO D'ITALIA - STAGE 16 SACILE-CORTINA D’AMPEZZO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

He took a bit of an unnecessary risk taking off the jacket at the end?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Rob Hatch - "The Giro is by no means over". It's well and truly done Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Evenepoel 21 minutes down at the Passo Giau

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

most exciting part of the whole day was wondering whether he'd fall off when taking his rain jacket off while cycling to the finish line over cobbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

While the Giro is effectively over I am enjoying seeing how aggressive Bernal is being. He is not content to just stop attacks and not lose time. He is attacking himself and blowing everybody else away. Nobody can stay with him. Really impressive performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

He took a bit of an unnecessary risk taking off the jacket at the end?

definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

It was telling that he took the time to take off his jacket. He knows he's more than enough time in hand

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Good win for Sean Kelly all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

He still won't have won a full 3 week grand tour...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

While the Giro is effectively over I am enjoying seeing how aggressive Bernal is being. He is not content to just stop attacks and not lose time. He is attacking himself and blowing everybody else away. Nobody can stay with him. Really impressive performance.

Speaks more about the lack of real quality in the field to challenge him, before the tour started he had no real challengers we just hoped Landa or Yates could challenge
    Poor lineup and poor Giro too.
    No Bernals fault ofcourse superb rider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Sets things up nicely for a showdown one of these Tours between Rog, Pog, Bernal and Evenepoel. Would be nice to see them go head to head, injury free. Maybe next year?

Some amount of talent at the moment - aside from the above you've also got the likes Carapaz, Hirschi, Alaphillipe, Almeida, Alaphilippe.

2022 could be epic if the stars align...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bernal extends his lead in the white jersey to 4:18 :D

Dcully wrote: »
    Speaks more about the lack of real quality in the field to challenge him, before the tour started he had no real challengers we just hoped Landa or Yates could challenge

Still a better quality winner (and Giro) than last year. Bernal is legit

Dodge wrote: »
    Still a better quality winner (and Giro) than last year. Bernal is legit

Totally but that's two years in a row with lack of real quality in the field compared to the other two grand tours, hopefully not a reflection on how teams view it in terms of profile.

Dan Martin finished 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I'm no Ineos fan, but you cannot complain about Bernals riding, he has been supreme and a worthy Maglia Rosa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Dan 16th @ 7:10. Beats V Nibali!!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Roglic didn't do it at the Vuelta last year with a field of a similar standard. Usually you'd have a rider having a good day who can keep up but Bernal is so far the best everyday.

He can only race what's put in front of him. Several other teams just went in half-arsed. DQT placing all their eggs in the basket of a young rider who had never ridden a three week tour and was out for the previous 7 months. Plus the obvious lack of team discipline. ISN went to a race with a couple of critical gravel stages with a leader who doesn't like or race those conditions. BEX strategy of spending a GT surfing wheels only works when there are wheels to surf.

I would love to see a full-on, ding-dong battle for the jersey, all the way to the last weekend. However much of the field seemed to be a two-wheeled version of the old chestnut "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

Hopefully the TdF will be better.

Wiggins reckons we are in for a really exciting week lol

• Advertisement

I think those jeans are cutting off his circulation.

To be fair maybe they’ll all stop thinking about GC and just ride for stages. That’d be good to see

Unlikely...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Or maybe Bernal will do a week of recovery rides and hope to be back for the TdF

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Other than Podge and Rodge, I don't think there would have been any non-Ineos riders who could have challenged Bernal any better the form he is in, Mas, Lopez, Uran, Quintana??? Unlikely.This is the problem with Ineos having so much GC talent, it seriously limits the competition.....in various ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

With hindsight, they should have run the whole stage, the tops of the other 2 climbs were just wet when they would have been crossed, we wouldn't have seen anything anyways, so from a viewers standpoint, we missed out on an extra 3 hours of staring at the finish line!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Landa possibly this Giro. He even got around the ITT reasonably. Yates had issues first week. Would Bernal's back have stood up to the full stage today? There's a lot still up in the air for me as to how good Bernal is tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I assume Bernal will skip TdF and go for the Vuelta. Thats where we'll probably get a Pog-Rog-Bernal shootout.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

DonegalBay wrote: »
    Other than Podge and Rodge, I don't think there would have been any non-Ineos riders who could have challenged Bernal any better the form he is in, Mas, Lopez, Uran, Quintana??? Unlikely.This is the problem with Ineos having so much GC talent, it seriously limits the competition.....in various ways.

I think the difference is all of them together. The Giro often ends up being 1 TdF GC contender targeting and going wild against a B rate field whereas the yellow jersey wearer has days and days of top riders trying to break off the front and I dont believe he wasnt in trouble anyway last year back or not. He is still defiantly a top contender for the TdF when he rides but this Giro isnt a good barometer of how good he is

• Registered Users Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He can only race what's put in front of him. Several other teams just went in half-arsed. DQT placing all their eggs in the basket of a young rider who had never ridden a three week tour and was out for the previous 7 months. Plus the obvious lack of team discipline. ISN went to a race with a couple of critical gravel stages with a leader who doesn't like or race those conditions. BEX strategy of spending a GT surfing wheels only works when there are wheels to surf.

I would love to see a full-on, ding-dong battle for the jersey, all the way to the last weekend. However much of the field seemed to be a two-wheeled version of the old chestnut "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

Hopefully the TdF will be better.

The Giro is often like this. I always thing its very over hyped by the cycling purists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I assume Bernal will skip TdF and go for the Vuelta. Thats where we'll probably get a Pog-Rog-Bernal shootout.

The Vuelta is always my favorite GT and if the big players turn up this year it could be incredible

Advertisement