Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Mean people ever actually spend it ? ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Swindled wrote: »
    Why do they have to ? Some people are not into polluting their system and mental health with toxins and frivolous half witted activities, they are very happy and content without them.

As long as you don't overdo it taking substances can be very liberating.

Nothing like a night out with close friends, bit of aul MDMA and dancing/talking ****e into the next day, taliking to everyone in the place who are the same level. Early house for the icing on the cake.

Few spliffs before off to bed the next evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

id be the same. i feel there is a consumerism pushed upon us. and not just direct advertising. TV is full of programs about doing up the garden, the house, buying new clothes. there is definately an agenda there.

and all this buying is such waste.

I think there's a huge amount of truth in that. As you say via media and other channels we're always being fed a constant stream of fear, which is only relieved by ad breaks with even more highly produced media promising happiness through consumerism.
    It's a crock.

Research shows people who invest in themselves, exercise, develop self discipline, have a purpose and lean into meaningful relationships & activities in their lives are those who are most fulfilled. That's the recipe for a good, happy, fulfilled life

This idea that the latest new shoes, or yet another unnecessary box from amazon will make us any happier is total bs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=robert+waldinger+what+makes+a+good+life&oq=robert+waldinger+what+makes+a+good+life&aqs=chrome..69i57.15960j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Tragic, having a night out on the town, having a few drinks and meeting a good looking blonde? Thats the kind of nights I had plenty of when in my 20's, don't regret any of them.

whereas your actual post also talking about "in Ibiza off their head on pills" and "magic mushrooms".

As I said, it's your money, do as you choose with it, but don't expect others should do what you like to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

whereas your actual post also talking about "in Ibiza off their head on pills" and "magic mushrooms".

As I said, it's your money, do as you choose with it, but don't expect others should do what you like to do with it.

And did you just ignore the part about the drinking in town?

also there is nothing wrong with mushrooms or a rave in Ibiza once in a blue moon. I feel sorry for people who are too closed minded that they close themselves off to things like that.(the other poster was wise not to try them though as their is mental illness in their family) i'm not a party animal btw in case you were thinking that. I run my own business now and am a workaholic. Haven't been at a rave in around 18 months or haven't drank in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Some people say to spend your money on experiences, not more stuff. I get the most fun from spending on absolutely the minimum of both.

Everything in Ireland is designed to separate you from your money at every turn. Especially direct and indirect taxation.

The way to beat the man, is only spend the interest or passive income. You never dip into your core holding. That's your fortress of solitude. Like the scene from The Gambler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I think it is a result of growing up dirt poor. They have a huge fear of being left with nothing, and so they spend as little as possible and try to earn as much as possible. It is kind of like a hobby or addiction for them as well. The number 1 goal in their life. The thing I often think is I hope they don't work away their 20's and then get a serious illness at say 30 and die, then what was it all for? Life is about experiences not wealth, you will look back at holidays, nights out, football matches you were at with friends/family, girlfriends/boyfriends you had etc on your death bed, not the fact you earned 20,000 one month back in 2007.

I grew up poor and I think this is why I am a good saver.

Having money there is a great security. If I spend the money, it is gone and what happens if I lose my job? Even if I have an emergency fund, I'd still feel it doesn't offer enough security.

I'm not mean, I just don't like wasting money I work hard for. I'm generous with gifts and paying for other peoples food, drinks. I won't pay 2 euro for pasta I can buy for 80c in Aldi when it's the same thing. If I'm buying runners I'll keep an eye out for special offers.

I'm not going to go into a fancy cafe and pay 4.50 for a slice of cheesecake too often. I'd easily go into supervalu and buy something equivalent for cheaper though.

Also it's hard to know how your situation stacks up to others. I'm not talking about how rich you are, I mean the quality of life they have.

I know plenty of lads earning top money and they're driving 09 cars or renting and I don't see any extravagance and it would make me think am I doing something wrong if I was to spend on a more luxurious lifestyle.

Some people say to spend your money on experiences, not more stuff. I get the most fun from spending on absolutely the minimum of both.

Everything in Ireland is designed to separate you from your money at every turn. Especially direct and indirect taxation.

The way to beat the man, is only spend the interest or passive income. You never dip into your core holding. That's your fortress of solitude. Like the scene from The Gambler.

My passive income is zero. Thanks for the tip, nevertheless.

irish_goat wrote: »
    My job involved looking into suspected money laundering offences, financial abuse etc. So yes, I was supposed to be looking at their accounts. I'm sure they probably did leave the money to their children, but the children would have already spent thousands on mortgage interest by then.

Good. It was the parents money.

By the way how were you looking at ordinary people’s accounts if you were investigating fraud, surely you’d need a flag. And how do you know what the children were doing? You clearly knew the people you were investigating.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I grew up poor and I think this is why I am a good saver.

Having money there is a great security. If I spend the money, it is gone and what happens if I lose my job? Even if I have an emergency fund, I'd still feel it doesn't offer enough security.

I'm not mean, I just don't like wasting money I work hard for. I'm generous with gifts and paying for other peoples food, drinks. I won't pay 2 euro for pasta I can buy for 80c in Aldi when it's the same thing. If I'm buying runners I'll keep an eye out for special offers.

Also it's hard to know how your situation stacks up to others. I'm not talking about how rich you are, I mean the quality of life they have.

I know plenty of lads earning top money and they're driving 09 cars or renting and I don't see any extravagance and it would make me think am I doing something wrong if I was to spend on a more luxurious lifestyle.

I agree with you on some of the things you said. I used to work for a very rich man who employed 70 + people, he drove a car worth 700 euro. I couldnt understand that to be honest, it didnt even look good, it was a real banger.

But I once bought super value rice thinking it must be the same as uncle bens rice. nope, you could cook it for an hour and it would still be hard. I once bought a hand held vacuum cleaner for my car, 30 sterling on amazon, fell apart after about 5 times using it. a lot of the time you pay for what you get.

Armani jeans for 130 euro or a 20 euro pair from pennys? The Armani jeans will be around a few years later, the pennies ones wont.

id be the same. i feel there is a consumerism pushed upon us. and not just direct advertising. TV is full of programs about doing up the garden, the house, buying new clothes. there is definately an agenda there.

and all this buying is such waste.

I think majority of people are duped into it too. Buying a coffee everyday at work for example I think is seen as "one of those things you just do at work because loads of others do it.

I rarely buy clothes either. How much clothes do people need or how fast are they throwing them out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

fvp4 wrote: »
    Good. It was the parents money.

By the way how were you looking at ordinary people’s accounts if you were investigating fraud, surely you’d need a flag. And how do you know what the children were doing? You clearly knew the people you were investigating.

Flag is the exact word. The system would flag up things like unusual large withdrawals or foreign transfers. We'd then take a look to see what the story was and sometimes give the customer a ring to clarify. Usually it was something like a big cash withdrawal to pay a builder/buy a car or a large transfer to a family member as a wedding gift etc but there was the occasional one the customer had no knowledge of. I had one particularly sad case of a customer's son racking up thousands on the elderly father's credit card.

I certainly didn't know any of the people and I looked at so many accounts in a day I usually wouldn't even remember them the next day. Honestly, most people's bank accounts are incredibly boring affairs.

I agree with you on some of the things you said. I used to work for a very rich man who employed 70 + people, he drove a car worth 700 euro. I couldnt understand that to be honest, it didnt even look good, it was a real banger.

But I once bought super value rice thinking it must be the same as uncle bens rice. nope, you could cook it for an hour and it would still be hard. I once bought a hand held vacuum cleaner for my car, 30 sterling on amazon, fell apart after about 5 times using it. a lot of the time you pay for what you get.

Armani jeans for 130 euro or a 20 euro pair from pennys? The Armani jeans will be around a few years later, the pennies ones wont.

Vast majority of times, paying the premium isn't worth it.

But I wouldn't really fight an argument on the jeans thing that "my way" is better, they're the same result but different method I guess. I personally wouldn't spend 130 euro on jeans as 7 years is a long time, I'd probably rip them catching them on something or handling something greasy and touching them so peace of mind I'd rather go cheaper and new more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

Can't believe nobody has asked the OP if the niece is single yet. :D

Flag is the exact word. The system would flag up things like unusual large withdrawals or foreign transfers. We'd then take a look to see what the story was and sometimes give the customer a ring to clarify. Usually it was something like a big cash withdrawal to pay a builder/buy a car or a large transfer to a family member as a wedding gift etc but there was the occasional one the customer had no knowledge of. I had one particularly sad case of a customer's son racking up thousands on the elderly father's credit card.

I certainly didn't know any of the people and I looked at so many accounts in a day I usually wouldn't even remember them the next day. Honestly, most people's bank accounts are incredibly boring affairs.

Hang on, you said you knew that some people had lots of money but the children had mortgages ?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I used to work in a bank and the amount of elderly people with 6 figure sums languishing in their bank accounts is crazy. Worse still you would see their children paying off mortgages and living paycheque to paycheque.

not to go off topic, but Age Action Ireland is a really strong lobby group. they talk about old people being most vulnerable. during 2008 crash we were on our knees but state pensions, bus passes, medical cards not touched. newspapers put out this photo of really old persons hands. and the rest of society, young families juggling 2 jobs, creche, cant get a mortgage. but heavens forbid we ask pensioners with paid off mortgages hording cash to pay their bit. not a chance.

probably helps that FF and FG are in government and represent old people. SF represent young families who never vote.

rant over. sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

Neighbours of mine are worth millions and I mean millions. They paid €3m cash for their old house and sold it off to downsize to their current house. The man is retired and the wife never worked. They spend huge money on cars, boats etc but shop in charity shops and go bargain hunting in Lidl. They’ve got no kids and everything - including the houses and apartments they own around the country - will go to their niece and nephew who don’t visit them. There’s probably north of €10m to be divided up between them both.

An extravagant purchase for this couple is fillet steak which they treat themselves to once a month. An awful way to live especially how comfortable they are and always have been.

Motivator wrote: »
    Neighbours of mine are worth millions and I mean millions. They paid €3m cash for their old house and sold it off to downsize to their current house. The man is retired and the wife never worked. They spend huge money on cars, boats etc but shop in charity shops and go bargain hunting in Lidl. They’ve got no kids and everything - including the houses and apartments they own around the country - will go to their niece and nephew who don’t visit them. There’s probably north of €10m to be divided up between them both.

An extravagant purchase for this couple is fillet steak which they treat themselves to once a month. An awful way to live especially how comfortable they are and always have been.

At least they are spending it on cars and boats etc and good ones at that.
    The niece and nephew might not get their wealth when they die, they might leave it to charity, friends etc. even your kids aren't entitled to your wealth when you die, unless it can be proven that you didn't look after them while they were growing up.

what way did they make their money?

not to go off topic, but Age Action Ireland is a really strong lobby group. they talk about old people being most vulnerable. during 2008 crash we were on our knees but state pensions, bus passes, medical cards not touched. newspapers put out this photo of really old persons hands. and the rest of society, young families juggling 2 jobs, creche, cant get a mortgage. but heavens forbid we ask pensioners with paid off mortgages hording cash to pay their bit. not a chance.

probably helps that FF and FG are in government and represent old people. SF represent young families who never vote.

rant over. sorry.

Yeah rant is right, since when were SF ageist cowardly clowns ?
    Old people worked all their lives and most started off way worse off than we did in life, and with a lot less.
    Right they are to fight for their rights.
    Ageism is like a Turkey voting for Christmas.
    We might be getting screwed over, but it's the financers and the global corporations that are doing the screwing, not ordinary old people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

fvp4 wrote: »
    Hang on, you said you knew that some people had lots of money but the children had mortgages ?

Yeah, you'd often have to look into which accounts they were transferring money to, which would bring you to their children's accounts.

I get that it's the parent's money and all that but what's the point of being in your 80's with 6 figures sitting doing nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Had an uncle like this, not in the league of the OP, but he was an absolute miser all his life. Lived in a crumbling cottage he inherited from his own uncles, never paid a tradesman to do a tap on it but spent most of his life keeping it tipping over with shoddy, amateurish repairs.

Never bought a decent car, always went to local small dealers and haggled them to death over their bargain basement jalopies and would ruminate on a €1 or €2k purchase for weeks. When I was growing up, never gave me or any of his nieces/nephews so much as a selection box for Xmas, despite the fact he was a constant presence in the house. Getting him groceries was a regular thing, the big stipulation being that the cheapest stuff had to be bought, no brand names and every penny of the change was expected on return. Never married of course, without doubt for the reason that he was unlikely to find a female miser on his own level, and he could not handle the idea of getting hitched to someone who might spend a bob.

In the end, my father was appointed executer and it turned out he had a couple of savings accounts and investments with more than €100k in them and the house and bit of land would have been valued at north of €500k.

I'm sure the lifestyle actually gave him pleasure, he was the kind that fattened on this kind of puritanism and discipline. But to live like that only to to hand it over to extended family, is perverse imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

There is a major difference between thrift and being a tight git.

I spend! I also earn!

I am generous to those around me, meals, trips, enjoying company, however, I do not waste money.

There is nothing worse in my mind as someone who earns it and yet won’t stand a round when it is their turn. To me that is the height of ignorance.

Do I know people like this? Yes!

My greatest pleasure in life (apart from family) is catching these people at their own game. You know the sort, drink in round and when it’s time to pay for their round, they disappear.

Happened with a tight cousin, rounds at a family funeral, order a double round (cousin is a wealthy lawyer, husband who is also tight as a ducks arse) everyone left to the toilet…they had to pay! To say the evening was enjoyable was an understatement! The look on their faces were priceless.

Had an uncle like this, not in the league of the OP, but he was an absolute miser all his life. Lived in a crumbling cottage he inherited from his own uncles, never paid a tradesman to do a tap on it but spent most of his life keeping it tipping over with shoddy, amateurish repairs.

Never bought a decent car, always went to local small dealers and haggled them to death over their bargain basement jalopies and would ruminate on a €1 or €2k purchase for weeks. When I was growing up, never gave me or any of his nieces/nephews so much as a selection box for Xmas, despite the fact he was a constant presence in the house. Getting him groceries was a regular thing, the big stipulation being that the cheapest stuff had to be bought, no brand names and every penny of the change was expected on return. Never married of course, without doubt for the reason that he was unlikely to find a female miser on his own level, and he could not handle the idea of getting hitched to someone who might spend a bob.

In the end, my father was appointed executer and it turned out he had a couple of savings accounts and investments with more than €100k in them and the house and bit of land would have been valued at north of €500k.

I'm sure the lifestyle actually gave him pleasure, he was the kind that fattened on this kind of puritanism and discipline. But to live like that only to to hand it over to extended family, is perverse imo.

What is this obsession with dictating how much other people should spend, buy and own, with how others live their lives, and what they do with their private property, who are not constant never satisfied endless consumers of goods and resources ? You can buy a very good car for 1-2k for occasional use if you know what you are doing. So his life savings were actually 100k, big deal. Wouldn't last too long if you lived longer or needed a lot of nursing care at the end, or left large medical bills. The less you can live on, the freer and more independent you will always be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

NSAman wrote: »
    There is a major difference between thrift and being a tight git.

I spend! I also earn!

I am generous to those around me, meals, trips, enjoying company, however, I do not waste money.

There is nothing worse in my mind as someone who earns it and yet won’t stand a round when it is their turn. To me that is the height of ignorance.

Do I know people like this? Yes!

My greatest pleasure in life (apart from family) is catching these people at their own game. You know the sort, drink in round and when it’s time to pay for their round, they disappear.

Happened with a tight cousin, rounds at a family funeral, order a double round (cousin is a wealthy lawyer, husband who is also tight as a ducks arse) everyone left to the toilet…they had to pay! To say the evening was enjoyable was an understatement! The look on their faces were priceless.

I fervently hate the rounds business cos I can’t drink much. Leave me out of it thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

fits wrote: »
    I fervently hate the rounds business cos I can’t drink much. Leave me out of it thanks!

Thing is, I don’t drink at all…:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As others have said, insecurity and a poor childhood can be the root of often unnecessary frugality.

But as long as such people do not leech off me, pay their way in company etc. and their frugal lifestyle impacts themselves alone, that's alright by me, none of my business if so.

As others have said, insecurity and a poor childhood can be the root of often unnecessary frugality.

But as long as such people do not leech off me, pay their way in company etc. and their frugal lifestyle impacts themselves alone, that's alright by me, none of my business if so.

What's the causes of unnecessary spending and waste ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What about when it extends to not turning the heating on at home, your teenagers unable to bathe daily because you are too tight to heat the water, never, ever bringing your kids away on holiday and looking for things like petrol money from your pensioner father for driving him to and from an oncology appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I worked with a fella about 12 years ago who was a mean bastard....

He was about 50ish. He wouldn’t give you the steam off his piss..

He was caught out nicking over the years by his colleagues ...

- printer paper ( boxes ), pens ( boxes )

- refreshments ( milk, soft drinks, coffee, tea, bottled water )

- antifreeze spray from company vehicles...

The refreshments were being purchased by the company and put in a small fridge press that only the 9 people in our department had the code to.

Got to the stage he wasn’t even doing it on the QT....just walking out with the last 4 waters, Coke’s etc... leaving his colleagues with zero and four days before the restock delivery “ the wee lads will be delighted with those “....

Upshot after we complained the company just cancelled the refreshments order... so everyone suffers because of one greedy gobshîte and a management team who hadn’t the guts to investigate and discipline.. we asked...”the optics wouldn’t look good, it’s technically possibly theft, removing company property, HR would take a dim view”.

The management were aware but he was a bit eccentric and had a wife with a disability....

So the rest of us missed out. The meanest baśtard by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

What is this obsession with dictating how much other people should spend, buy and own, with how others live their lives, and what they do with their private property, who are not constant never satisfied endless consumers of goods and resources ? You can buy a very good car for 1-2k for occasional use if you know what you are doing. So his life savings were actually 100k, big deal. Wouldn't last too long if you lived longer or needed a lot of nursing care at the end, or left large medical bills. The less you can live on, the freer and more independent you will always be.
    But the Q I asked in my OP is...,Do they EVER spend it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

To Sardoncat, I'd call it a form of child abuse tbf. and the father an enabler who should call their children out on it.

Advertisement