Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/under-16s-to-get-covid-jabs-this-summer-dr89zkrtk

A few interesting points in the Sunday Times article (mentioned above too in the Tweet):

• The government still has no delivery date for one million vaccines it has agreed to buy from Romania. A government source said the delay is being caused by “delivery schedules” and “operational issues” involving discussions between the EU, member states and vaccine manufacturers.
    • “mix and match” vaccine booster programme in the autumn for at-risk adults. This means those who have already had a double dose of an mRNA vaccine — Pfizer or Moderna — would be given a booster shot of a viral vector, AstraZeneca or Janssen, and vice versa.
    • Vaccine programme likely to be extended to (1) those at high risk of severe disease between the ages of 12 and 15, and then (2) 16 and 17 year olds and then (3) to all 12-15 year olds.

Good to see that an expansion of the programme to 12-17 year olds seems to be on the cards. The sooner this can be done in advance of schools reopening the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Some folks I know were able to get the J and j vaccine, by registering with their local pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

I read today that the one million vaccine purchase from Romania isn't progrrssing very well and the EU.are involved suggesting they should be returned to a central pool.

A pre by election instance of kite flying I suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It would be nice to know where you read it. Central pool idea seems very odd especially if Romania has already been assigned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Vaccinating children is mad really I think, and if this becomes a requirement for school we have really descended to new place. We spent so long listening to children are not spreaders or affected etc..

It's still under emergency approval, there seems to be little to no risk to children of Covid, so why would they even go there.

Like to see data on risk of vaccine vs risk of Covid to under 16s to justify vaccinating children.

Children all around country are in summer camps, gaa training -they seem pretty okay without this vaccine.

• Advertisement

No decision has been made one way or the other but a plan still needs to be there. Part of the thinking is that as we put pressure on SARS-COV-2 through vaccination it will seek out large unvaccinated pools, like kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The way I see it we have to choose from one of three paths:

1. Put severe pressure on all eligible adults to get vaccinated, and hope that we achieve herd immunity despite all evidence to the contrary.
    2. Offer vaccination for kids.
    3. Live with high levels of infection amongst kids until herd immunity is achieved among them.

w.r.t (1), ironically we now have the moral reverse of the state of play up to this point: we are hoping for the remaining unvaccinated adults to take action (get vaccinated) in order to save us from having to give those vaccines to children. Will they do it? Unlikely IMO. Most of of antivaxxers I know don't have kids and don't particularly like them (that's not a criticism btw).

As far as (2) or (3) is concerned, I think it's rightly a matter of parental choice. I would personally prefer to vaccinate my kids, because whilst I see the risks of the vaccines and the virus to be both similarly small and uncertain, it is kinder both to society as a whole and to the subset of immunocompromised and otherwise vulnerable people to do what we can to stamp it out, and evidence suggests that immunity conferred by the vaccines is stronger than from infection.

Whatever course we choose, the pandemic has taught us that weak policy executed slowly leads of poor outcomes.

Just one obvious maths point - there are probably only around 250k 12-15 year olds in the country. That's equivalent to around 6% of the currently eligible population. We could easily achieve the same vaccination level by pushing up vaccinations in the under 40s. Would it have the same epidemiological effect? Doubtful. Is it morally right to nudge/coerce adults to be vaccinated so as to avoid vaccinating kids? Don't know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Very interesting correlation between sales of Ice Cream and Delta cases in Ireland over the last two weeks.

The more Ice Cream we've consumed, the steeper the increases in cases.

Of course that's a really stupid connection to make, as we all know correlation is not the same as causation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

She was ale to register yesterday using pps so it looks like hospital/hse never done it first time.

She did get a text message a few weeks back that they were focusing on women 28 weeks + but that's no good to her seen as she can get it with her age group now. No sense waiting 12 weeks for 28 weeks to come around.

Rang hse last night and guy on phone said she could register with her age group as normal. He didn't fill us with confidence though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry if it’s been discussed I’m lost on new touch site :) did we receive the million doses from Romania yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's not emergency approval they got from the EMA, it's normal approval.

That said, I don't see them becoming a requirement for school.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Based on what exactly? Here's what Martin said this week.

Vaccines from Romania

Meanwhile, he said he could not confirm when one million Covid-19 vaccine doses will be delivered from Romania.

It was reported at the weekend that the deal is not yet finalised with issues under discussion including the expiration dates of available vaccines and the information on doses not being in English.

The Government is also in discussions with other EU Member States on the possibility of buying vaccines.

Speaking at a press conference Mr Martin said there was a “good meeting” last week between the Irish and Romanian health departments.

“Those discussions are continuing and progress has been made in relation to it.”

He said: “We’ve also had discussions with other Member States and again those discussions are ongoing in respect of arranging vaccines but they have not come to a conclusion yet.”

Asked when it is expected that the vaccines from Romania will be delivered he said: “I haven’t the timeline yet on that”.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

if we maintain current rate of vaccinations with GPs, pharmacies and MVCs participating. we will have completed our current vaccination program by end of July.

By then every over 18 will have been offered a vaccine. Approx 400,000 second doses left for August

Quite likely by then we will have overtaken the other major European countries that have finished.

We then enter murkier moral waters.

How much pressure will be put on remaining unvaccinated adults to comply. Do we start on the children? Will we begin giving out third jabs?

For example Malta has banned all 12-16 year old children that have not taken a vaccine from going on holidays with their parents within the country.

interesting times ahead.

Where are you getting completion of the vaccination program in 13 days?

I have gone into details ad nasaeum over multiple posts here over last few days. Some disagree and are claiming we have no vaccines in storage or numbers left are much higher but have no desire to go into it again. We"ll just have to wait till the end of the month to see who's right.

My projections are

First mRNA remaining 250,000

Janssen remaining 150,000

July 2nd dose remaining 100,000

That's 500,000. If we can administer 300,000 a week we will be finished by end of month..

So nobody in the country other than you imagines there's even the remotest chance that the vaccine program will be completed it 13 days.

Thanks

That's what I though, just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Some people clearly know more than the HSE 🤨

We'll only have to wait 13 days to see who's right and who's wrong.. That's my prediction. Everyone over 18 to be offered first dose by end of July.

Ohhh, I see the nice reshuffling of the definition of complete there

Sneaky 😉

I wouldn't be surprised to see registration opened up to all age groups. Do I think they'll all be vaccinated by then. No

Will that mean the vaccination program is complete. No

• Advertisement

There are approx 800,000 adults that have not received anything yet. If you presume 90% uptake overall that leaves 420,000. If you use Janssen for 100,000 of these that leaves 320,000 needing double doses so 640,000, we also have circa 600,000 waiting on their second dose. There's about 1.3m doses to go for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Anybody know of a pharmacy anywhere in Dublin that someone could go to get this week?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ah sh1teballs, thanks I couldn’t find anything online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

I registered with four pharmacies in Dublin. I've heard nothing from three of them. The other sent an email pretty much saying that demand far exceeded supply and I was very unlikely to get a vaccine there. I've pretty much given up any hope of getting one from a pharmacy TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's not dead in the water. They've said discussions on going, the doses aren't expiring momentarily either so better to verify everything before bringing the doses into country.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your figures J0T. Isn't 90% of 800k, 720k?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

so the first MRNA doses don’t need a second dose 4 weeks later??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,122 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

Yeah I know but everyone is doing it, so if I didn't I'd have very little chance of getting a vaccine.

There should have been some centralised system, perhaps integerated to the HSE vaccine portal where you only register with one pharmacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

One of our pharmacies, I sent out 600 appointments for 100 slots due to cancellations. Ridiculous in one way. Great to see the demand is being satisfied on the other hand

If your local to a pharmacy during work hours I'd suggest saying your available at very short notice if a no show happens. Starting to happen a bit now unfortunately

Advertisement