Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Gerry Adams the greatest leader in all of Irish history

Options
124»

Comments

I'll take the word of someone who worked on the border for 30 years, to paraphrase his words, never once had to worry about being attacked by the pIRA when leaving the station.

These things are more nuanced and the Gardai had to have some relationship with the pIRA to deal with the situation in a tactful manner

We had a relationship, they were criminals and I arrested them. Like all criminals that killed my colleagues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Barry904

I'll take the word of someone who worked on the border for 30 years, to paraphrase his words, never once had to worry about being attacked by the pIRA when leaving the station.

These things are more nuanced and the Gardai had to have some relationship with the pIRA to deal with the situation in a tactful manner

Countless times they could have escaped but didn't and took countless years in prison rather than harm Gardai.

On the few occasions they did kill Gardai (provo members killed about ten guards) it was always because they couldn't handle going to prison and opened fire to avoid capture.

True that would never have have to worry about being attacked only when they were in pursuit of them and even then 99.999% of the time they would not harm them no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

We had a relationship, they were criminals and I arrested them. Like all criminals that killed my colleagues.

You stationed on the border? What happened them when they were sent to Dublin up until the hunger strikes?

If you were a guard on the border and during the troubles you know rightly what I'm saying is true, if not you were stationed far away and far more recently

Barry904 wrote: »
    Countless times they could have escaped but didn't and took countless years in prison rather than harm Gardai.

On the few occasions they did kill Gardai (provo members killed about ten guards) it was always because they couldn't handle going to prison and opened fire to avoid capture.

True that would never have have to worry about being attacked only when they were in pursuit of them and even then 99.999% of the time they would not harm them no matter what.

Don't talk sense. It was black and white, pIRA spent their time murdering unarmed Gardai

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

The PR campaign to convert the PIRA into the friendly neighbour terrorist continues I see.

Back to the original point, Gerry Adam’s, the answer is no on so many levels but the worst thing he has done is protecting paedophiles. Nobody should defend him over that but I’m sure someone will

For that alone he should be fired into a jail cell and never see the light of day again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Barry904 wrote: »
    What are you on about, a vote in the South would pass easily no matter how much the partionists try to convince the gullible otherwise, the partionists and unionists are terrified of a referendum, there's a reason why Republicans are so badly trying to get a referendum and the partionists and unionists are trying their utmost to make sure it doesn't happen.

A romantic notion. But reality may be very different.

Tell people they lose their flag, anthem, pay more tax, cement SF as largest party, allow Poots rant in the Dail.

All of a sudden its a little less solid

ineedeuro wrote: »
    The PR campaign to convert the PIRA into the friendly neighbour terrorist continues I see.

Back to the original point, Gerry Adam’s, the answer is no on so many levels but the worst thing he has done is protecting paedophiles. Nobody should defend him over that but I’m sure someone will

For that alone he should be fired into a jail cell and never see the light of day again.

Say what you want about them, but the Gardai would rather converse with them then the RUC, although I don't blame them

A romantic notion. But reality may be very different.

Tell people they lose their flag, anthem, pay more tax, cement SF as largest party, allow Poots rant in the Dail.

All of a sudden its a little less solid

It wouldn't be a landslide but would pass. Those who try to convince themselves otherwise are only fooling themselves as one last bit of hope to prevent unification if a border poll passed. If the north votes for unity, it will pass in the south no question.

We don't really have a vote on it anyway, it's amending our constitution

It wouldn't be a landslide but would pass. Those who try to convince themselves otherwise are only fooling themselves as one last bit of hope to prevent unification if a border poll passed. If the north votes for unity, it will pass in the south no question.

We don't really have a vote on it anyway, it's amending our constitution

Right now I am of the opinion it would pass but not by much.
    In general I find the bite for it dying as people realise the actual impacts.
    I am on the fence myself. Heart says yes but head says no.
    I do think that the longer we go without a vote the lower its success chances are.

The costs to the state to support NI businesses switch to euro, wage equalisation, deficit to fill, all at the expense of services in the South or cost to tax payer would be well discussed. Most haven't even really considered the impacts.

Right now I am of the opinion it would pass but not by much.
    In general I find the bite for it dying as people realise the actual impacts.
    I am on the fence myself. Heart says yes but head says no.
    I do think that the longer we go without a vote the lower its success chances are.

The costs to the state to support NI businesses switch to euro, wage equalisation, deficit to fill, all at the expense of services in the South or cost to tax payer would be well discussed. Most haven't even really considered the impacts.

If a border poll passed, FF and FG will have to be seen to support the GFA and the wishes of the people. The narrative in the south will change from the media I'd say and will have support. Even if it's tight, it will always just pass here

• Advertisement

If a border poll passed, FF and FG will have to be seen to support the GFA and the wishes of the people. The narrative in the south will change from the media I'd say and will have support. Even if it's tight, it will always just pass here

You may be right, I do have doubts. Most people I know already say no.

I guess I judge based on work, family, friends opinions. Limited of course.

My father was a gaurd and regularly dealt with pIRA members, was stationed at various places on the border. Had two other immediate relations in the Gaurds too. Not one of them would suggest the pIRA were "Garda killers".

Several unfortunate events happened where Gardai were killed unintentionally or members acting independently of orders. But the organisation made a point of not targeting Gardai. Most Gardai stationed on the border during the bad times would testify to this Id believe, infact when caught, they were more respectful than anyone towards the Guards.

You can choose to believe that or not, but it's how it was. Calling them "Garda killers" is disingenuous in the extreme

Your father sounds like he was deeply corrupt if he was willing to help SF/IRA criminals.

Your father sounds like he was deeply corrupt if he was willing to help SF/IRA criminals.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭neiphin

ineedeuro wrote: »

Hi Eoghan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Since this thread is largely not up to the standard of this forum and that the OP is a rereg, I am locking this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement