Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Have to agree. A strong caddy should be telling him.

I thought he was going to bend the club in 2 when the ball went into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Was it not a 3 wood? I think he figured he had to win it there and then and wouldn’t win the playoff. He was clearly steaming with himself for the last 2 holes, head was gone. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

2 wins in 42 for Rory, im begining to worry he might have peaked as a golfer, Bland going for 3 in 18 after 0 in 478

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

New year, same costly flaws between the ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

McIlroy isn’t the type of player to back away and lay up, he never has been. He calls the shots and Harry Diamond had no say in that whatsoever. What killed him was waiting around in the middle of the fairway for a good 5 minutes before getting to play his shot. McIlroy is one of the quickest players around and that wait did him no good.

This will hurt him though. Huge tournament to win and would have set him up very nicely for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think that has been an issue for years. He just wants a caddie to hand him the club that he asks for. You never get the impression that he meaningfully consults over a shot. There can be some talk about how the shot might go but that's as far as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That was simply down to decision making. He still has the ability and length. His head is the problem.

I agree, but did you see him those last 2 holes?! He was leaking serious oil. Looked agitated as **** with himself. Don’t think I ever heard him swearing on tv and there was 3 in 10 mins there. Thought he was gonna snap that club on 18.

Casey messing about up at the green hitting water and 3 putting. But Rory should have thought after a 10 min wait maybe the 5 wood was too risky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Rory looking for a quiet Caddie

This lad is very quiet 🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

He's desperate for more wins at this stage. He knows he isn't where everyone thought he would be at at this stage of his career.

Mind you, I was desperate to cash out my Hovland bet about an hour ago but thankfully Ladbrokes wouldn't let me! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Hovland covered the last 3 in -4.

McIlroy was +1 and could have been worse considering the tee shot on 17.

He really needed to lay up on 18. He took 3 wood of the tee which was probably the right call considering his driving on the back 9 was missing left all the time. He really should have continued playing the hole conservatively. Where the flag was any half decent wedge gets inside 15 foot and you are putting to win it. Give any pro that scenario on the 1st tee on a Sunday they'd bite your arm off. Considering how experienced he is its really poor decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sore like last week on par 3. Didn’t like cats as he didn’t go for pin when needed to with tee shot.

did he go to pro shop to get a new t shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Had a feeling it would end as it did, Rory wasn't playing particularly well all week and his game just wasn't there today, birdies were never going to come easy and when someone finishes birdie eagle birdie it piles on the pressure, Morikawa done similar before Christmas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

No caddy would fix the problem with Rory. It's all mental. Augusta was the first course to mentally destroy him. Now that has seeped into every tournament. He gets into a winning position and seems to mentally implode. If you had a caddy give him the best advice in the world and convince him exactly the shot to take on the last hole to win a tournament Rory would just shank it or duff it because the problem is far deeper than not knowing the shot to play. I don't think anything or anyone can fix Rory at this point.

Seeped into every tournament?! Didn’t he win like 4 starts ago, holding off Morikawa? He likely would have done the same if his 2nd shot didn’t hit the flag on the 4th last hole in Dubai.

He looked mentally poor on his last couple of holes today, but let’s not get carried away.

Also, when was the last time you saw him shank a shot 🙄

He was there waiting to hit that 2nd shot for 10 mins did harry and him even discuss the shot choice? He needs a solid person on the bag who can have an influence on his decision making particularly when the pressure comes on. He can get reckless.

Anyway I’m delighted Rafa won the tennis. Cheered me up a bit after the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Xander10

Still you would have thought that in that 10 minute wait they would have decided and chosen the best spot to lay up to set up a decent birdie opportunity and a guaranteed par at worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

bloody Sickened, thought he’d birdy one of the last 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Would the likes of Rahm, Bryson or Dustin laid up in that position , no way they would . The top guys just see the win and more often than not they go for . It didn’t work out, so what, there will be more chances. I’d be more worried for him if he’d have laid up and lost.

The likes of Rham etc would have taken a driver off the tee and made the next shot a lot easier

That’s absolute nonsense. Rahm or Johnson are pure winners and in a position like that you take the risk out of it to put yourself in a position to close out the tournament. If McIlroy needed eagle to win it then obviously the play was the 5 wood. If you’re trying to tell me that hitting the big boy shot takes priority over putting yourself in the best position to win the tournament for the likes of Rahm etc. that’s just wrong.

McIlroy had the tournament in his own hands and flogged it. The wait on the fairway didn’t help him but in fact that makes it worse. How, in the 5+ mins waiting, did they not have the brains between them to realise they didn’t need to take the shot on? I like McIlroy for taking everything on but when the chance to win the tournament is staring you in the face you take the chance, not the risk.

If you turn it on its head, the only way Rory could not at least end up in a play off and\or at least have a putt to win it, was taking on the water with a 5 wood.

Wrong choice all day long.

267 out, if he hit an 8 iron 170 that's 100 yards left to the green, then he has a putt for birdie to win. If he 2 putts he is in a play off.

Instead he decided to try and blast a 3 or 5 wood onto the green with the risk of water if it went wrong. I really cant believe that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

He took a 3W off the tee? He must have known that meant a lay-up. Is he stubborn or just a bit thick?

I think the 17th had him completely rattled

267, over water & into a stiff breeze…with mud on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

It was the wrong shot because he was unsuccessful with it. It wasn't the wrong shot in the k club when he won there. Kind of like in Wells Fargo when he took the drop - it was the right play because he won. If he had not won that tournament he'd have been criticised for not trying to seal the win as opposed to letting the others back into it.

Similarly, if he had laid up and gotten a par and lost in the play off he'd be getting the same level of criticism here for not taking his opportunity to win it outright. To not even try to do it, because even if he'd gone in the water, he'd still have been able to get up and down for par and get into the playoff.

The head was gone and that's why he hit the shot so poorly. And why he hit the previous drive so poorly. But the decision was only wrong because it didn't work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Wasn’t he leading on the last hole in the k CIub ?

I doubt any fans would have criticised him for laying up. Actually it probably would have been seen as an improvement in course management.

Advertisement