Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

bogey on par 5 12th after almost being on it in 2 and takes iron off the tee on par 4 13th and hits it into a bunker :(

and into the drink with his second shot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

He is having a mare today..

Commentator " That looks right"....

in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That Andrew coltart should be sacked off sky, same ail tripe out of him every week, on Friday he asked who will finish second to Rory? None of the other lick arses pulled him on it either, he only watches a few shots and heads off for more whiskey, and a nap in the corner, how did he even get that job? Epitome of a journeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I thought the same thing, not this week but every week. In the eyes of Dougherty, Coltart and Riley McIlroy is the best golfer that ever lived and that’s the end of it. If he makes a mess of a hole it’s never his fault and not one of them had the balls to comment on what he did in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I don't know where Rory is headed, he just doesn't seem to be able to control himself when things start going wrong. He struggles to get out of the rut, head goes down and he gets frustrated and starts throwing shots away. Can he solve that problem with his game. I hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,622 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rumours that him and GMAC don't get on but after the round Rory shook his hand and then clapped him on the back. Not something you'd do, clap on the back, to someone you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Wouldn’t be the first person to pretend to camera they like each other.

They probably get on fine but that doesn’t sell space where as story they don’t get on does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

"Par for the course" for McIlroy

snapped his wedge on the 12th. pathetic resilience. he'll never win another major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

Still think his wedge play is very poor for a top player. Must try and see what the figures he has from 100 yards or so. Always seems to be well outside 15 feet and often short sides himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Yeah found allot of bunkers short side. I think It was his driving accuracy that put his irons under the spotlight in Rnd 3 (50%) & 4 (43%).

He is usually exceptional at Bay Hill OTT. Its his fav course.

& now he's "there's a lot of the guys that sort of stay away...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

There are so many shots that Rory takes with a short iron that make you wonder how in the name of God can a professional golf player play such a dreadful shot. I know he is more frustrated than anyone but you still wonder how he can't improve this aspect of his game where he has had serious issues for years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

As per usual, Rory's Wedge/Approach play is disgustingly poor

Does bug me when he might hit a couple and the commentators think he 'has it solved', but my God he's never been consistent.

Another poor wedge from 132, but then a great chip in from short of the green for a birdie anyway. Back to level par. Hopefully that chip in does something for him now

And then he drinks it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Giveth and taketh

Its more like 1 step forward and 2 steps back with Rory :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory unlikely to make cut at plus 2 . Plus 1 may make cut. All depends on the scoring tomorrow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh to be dripping talent like that off the tee and subject to bi-polar short game, perfect definition of frustration

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

He's very likely to make the cut according to projections, cut could even move to +3

Find these guys excellent for cut projections, very accurate.

And much better than the Sky waffle of he's in for a nervous wait. The comms really are useless, they're projection is always what the cut line is at that particular, half the field have to play their second round!

Like at the Honda, it was clear the course was playing really difficult, but they were saying plus one for the cut and as guys were finishing +2 that they were done for the week. Harrington ended up making the cut on +3 as predicted by the site above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The anxiety on his face hitting shirt irons into greens is remarkable. Most players, even handicap golfers, see these are scoring clubs, look on the opportunity favourably, go after the pin and thinking about birdie. I'm convinced he's standing over the ball bricking it. I've no idea how he so often makes such a balls of such easy shots. Must be so frustrating for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lot more to the game than just hitting driver off the tee! Plenty of lads with great short games but not effective off the tee, that's just golf!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory still outside the cut

This is tight, one more player drops to +2 and he's in. Seems it may happen too, only like 2 holes left in round 2

Edit: assuming nobody moves up to +1 at same time

And he's in. Must have been some hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Should give him 2 rounds in better conditions to climb the leaderboard and work on a few things.

Some big names missed the cut, Brooks, Morikawa, Spieth, Schauffele, finau, Adam Scott and Rose.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Xander10

a nice pairing with the young in form Scheffler. It should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

A cynic would remark that Rory was lucky to make it into the weekend, and that only put a decent round together when out of contention. His approach play really is poor. Sky annoy the head off me because they are part of the issue of inflating Rory prospects, I know they have to do so as he draws an audience, it's all so annoying. If his iron play is that poor at Augusta he'll really struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Agree… 150 yards and in is very poor.

Now many times has he gone over par when going in with a 9 iron.

Trying too hard would be my verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I wonder is McIlroy’s career now in second place behind his family. We saw the footage of him carrying his little girl out to the car the other day on Sky and him mentioning his family in interviews has become more frequent over the last few months.

He’s 33, has more money than he knows what to do with and his legacy is secured. What else has he got to drive him? The Masters? It’s looking increasingly unlikely that he’ll ever win at Augusta. Is he still capable of it? Absolutely he is, he’s the most magnificent player to watch when he’s on form and in contention. Probably the most exciting player since Woods in that respect but I just wonder has he taken the foot off the gas a bit and rearranged his priorities. He’s hugely competitive and hates losing, that will never leave him but I just wonder is that drive he had wained a little bit. If it has it’s only natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭OEP

I think we also need to consider how much harder it is win majors now. Amongst the current generation, McIlroy's record is far better than anyone else's. Brooks has 4 majors but not many other wins, DJ has lots of wins but only 1 major. The younger guys could catch up but that's projecting, we don't know yet. It seems that players go through a hot streak and need to make hay so to speak. It seems to have been the case for Rory, Spieth and Brooks. We keep comparing to past generations but in any sport intergenerational comparison is rarely useful. It was arguably easier to win majors in the 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s. I guess Rory frustrates because he set such high expectations. I think he'll still pick up another couple of majors over his career - it'll happen that he'll been on form. If it happens to be the Masters then he can go down as one of the best ever.

Advertisement