Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

2456717

Comments



  • Thanks.

    That’s some difference

    Nearly unbelievable. His sports psychologist probably tells him he’s great on the Thursday and continue how he plays




  • Still trying to figure it out off the tee, won't happen overnight definitely a work in progress.




  • He was wild off the tee in Quail Hollow too but got away with it, not getting away with it here




  • 3 bogies on Par 5’s is just not good enough. That’s where he should be making his ground on other players.

    Driving has been abysmal today. Not massively offline but just not giving himself comfortable shots to the green




  • 3 bogies on Par 5’s is just not good enough. That’s where he should be making his ground on other players.

    Driving has been abysmal today. Not massively offline but just not giving himself comfortable shots to the green

    Yep three par 5s today he got 6. It has cost him today as a level par round wouldn’t be bad


  • Advertisement


  • Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Yep three par 5s today he got 6. It has cost him today as a level par round wouldn’t be bad

    All really sloppy too. Awful second on 17, duff two shots on 2 and then a snap hook 3rd shot on the 7th.

    First time he has ever bogied 3 par 5’s in a round at a major




  • There are too many good golfers at the top already, I'm afraid his chances are probably gone




  • OEP wrote: »
    There are too many good golfers at the top already, I'm afraid his chances are probably gone

    He's three over not ten over!

    Who knows level par could be leading on Saturday or Sunday depending on the wind. Obviously not an ideal start, but he certainly didn't shoot himself out of it when he easily could have.




  • Here is Justin ray with the updated stat;

    Rory McIlroy shot 75 today.

    Rory's score to par in major championships since the beginning of 2015

    1st round: +35
    2nd-4th round: -62




  • Here is Justin ray with the updated stat;

    Rory McIlroy shot 75 today.

    Rory's score to par in major championships since the beginning of 2015

    1st round: +35
    2nd-4th round: -62

    Surely some mental block there causing it, probably something Rotella has been working on.


  • Advertisement


  • He's three over not ten over!

    Who knows level par could be leading on Saturday or Sunday depending on the wind. Obviously not an ideal start, but he certainly didn't shoot himself out of it when he easily could have.

    Gaining 6 shots on Koepka is a tall order




  • OEP wrote: »
    Gaining 6 shots on Koepka is a tall order

    Gaining 6 shots over 54 holes is not a problem, its do able over 18 - the problem is not the gap to Koepka, its the 100 others in between.




  • Pogue eile wrote: »
    Gaining 6 shots over 54 holes is not a problem, its do able over 18 - the problem is not the gap to Koepka, its the 100 others in between.

    Well yes but if it was lesser known names leading you'd be confident they'll fall back pretty quickly. Koepka and Hovland 6 ahead, Morikawa and others 5 ahead. He'll need to shoot the lights out for three days and I think that's unlikely given how his driving is currently.




  • Here is Justin ray with the updated stat;

    Rory McIlroy shot 75 today.

    Rory's score to par in major championships since the beginning of 2015

    1st round: +35
    2nd-4th round: -62

    That's an unbelievable stat, hard to fathom.

    I'm as big a fan of Rory as you'll find, but I think this tournament is probably gone already. As they say, you can't win it Thursday but you can lose it. Yeah, he's only 8 back, and its nothing over 3 rounds and can be made up and all of that, but how often is it actually made up, really ? Not happening I'm afraid.

    I 100% hope he proves me wrong and shoots 66 today.

    What's the winning score going to be ? 8 under maybe ? Even at 8 under he has to shoot crazy good golf to get there from where he is. Mind you it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he threw three 70s at it for a comfortable top 10.

    Today will tell a tale when the early/late tee time differences play out and we have a better idea of where everyone stands.

    As a random aside, I think I've rarely, if ever, seen him play well in a big event when paired with JT for some reason.




  • I think -10 will be needed to win. The conditions don't seem to be getting any worse or better for the week, just the wind direction is changing. In 2012 second place was -5 but there was one horrendous day where even McIlroy shot 75 and he ran away with the tournament. He needs two 68s over the next two days to have a chance, but I think he'll be 3 or 4 shots back even if he manages that going out on Sunday.




  • Russman wrote: »
    That's an unbelievable stat, hard to fathom.

    I'm as big a fan of Rory as you'll find, but I think this tournament is probably gone already. As they say, you can't win it Thursday but you can lose it. Yeah, he's only 8 back, and its nothing over 3 rounds and can be made up and all of that, but how often is it actually made up, really ? Not happening I'm afraid.

    I 100% hope he proves me wrong and shoots 66 today.

    What's the winning score going to be ? 8 under maybe ? Even at 8 under he has to shoot crazy good golf to get there from where he is. Mind you it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he threw three 70s at it for a comfortable top 10.

    Today will tell a tale when the early/late tee time differences play out and we have a better idea of where everyone stands.

    As a random aside, I think I've rarely, if ever, seen him play well in a big event when paired with JT for some reason.

    There's no way 8 under is the winning score if the course plays like yesterday every day. The winning score will be moving closer to level par than 8 under I imagine. Add in the Sunday pressure of a major and not many will be shooting under par.

    It's going to be attritional and whoever holds it together the best will win. Agree that Rory is an unlikely winner from where he is, but there's a strong possibility that 3 70s would be enough for him to win imo. Rory shot better than the average score yesterday. Don't think a 66 is needed today but the worry is that he thinks it is and completely shoots himself out of it trying for it.

    Anything under par from him or any other golfer today is a good score. People generally underestimate the difficulty of course setups for majors (this one is a monster, especially if the wind stays up) allied to the pressure.




  • Rory is by no means out of it if he is on form, but he is not playing his best or anywhere near it. Too loose off the tee around here.
    He needs a 68 minimum today to put himself back in the mix.




  • Think the win is probably gone but if he can pull it together he could pull off a top 20 or top 10.




  • Think the win is probably gone but if he can pull it together he could pull off a top 20 or top 10.

    Helps the bank balance, but that’s about it.




  • He was 8 behind after round 1 2 weeks ago in Quail Hollow, so I think we are being a bit premature fully writing him off. He is 6 back currently.


  • Advertisement


  • Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    He was 8 behind after round 1 2 weeks ago in Quail Hollow, so I think we are being a bit premature fully writing him off. He is 6 back currently.

    Closing the gap and he isnt even playing!




  • Dav010 wrote: »
    Helps the bank balance, but that’s about it.

    World ranking points hold some merit




  • How the hell did he shoot 13 under at this golf course with a 75 thrown in!!! Ridiculous golf.

    Any chance he could just shoot a 69 or 70 today? Would be massive I think. Just get back to level par but won’t be any bit easy with the afternoon conditions.

    Has got to hit the fairways and then take care of the par 5’s.




  • How the hell did he shoot 13 under at this golf course with a 75 thrown in!!! Ridiculous golf.

    Any chance he could just shoot a 69 or 70 today? Would be massive I think. Just get back to level par but won’t be any bit easy with the afternoon conditions.

    Has got to hit the fairways and then take care of the par 5’s.

    2012 played completely different to how it is playing. It was in Aug and very very wet. Wind didn't blow and suited his towering approach shots

    The 2nd round was atrocious weather. Everyone struggled.
    McIlroy went out in the best of it and shot a 75.
    So did Tiger but a 71.
    Harrington (The Legend) shot a 76 in the worst of it.

    I see him shooting a 73 today




  • etxp wrote: »
    Rory is by no means out of it if he is on form, but he is not playing his best or anywhere near it. Too loose off the tee around here.
    He needs a 68 minimum today to put himself back in the mix.

    No he doesn't, 70 would be more than acceptable. If he shoots 68 he will nearly be favourite.




  • PARlance wrote: »
    Brad Faxon described Harry Diamond as Rory's "secret sauce" there.

    A little OTT possibly.

    Faxon now believes Harry is the "ace in the pack"

    Give me strength.




  • Birdie on the first.




  • Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Birdie on the first.

    in trouble on the second, might get away with a par




  • Rory and par 5’s!!! Another bogey. Inexcusable from the middle of the fairway once again.


  • Advertisement


  • Rory and par 5’s!!! Another bogey. Inexcusable from the middle of the fairway once again.

    Something went badly wrong with the bunker shot, which is usually his forte


Advertisement