Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AlanWatts

He had primarily one Driver shot when he was young, a push draw. He started moving away from that probably after 10th on Augusta. His tee ball typically doesn't move as much as it used. Goes straight a lot. He tends to favour heel side strikes and straight to slight fade now. Can still draw if he wants obviously. 2012 Rory was Sg total 1st, SG Off the tee 2nd, SG Approach Green 2nd. He had a much softer looking short iron swing back then compared to last 6 years and stood the club up a bit more …his right arm has been very straight during the takeaway . Thats what Butch is having him work on…softening the right arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AlanWatts

He needs to stick with Butch and what they are working on. And he needs to change everything else. Get Harry more involved Thursday-Sat. Talk more over shot selection, targets. Use him to help with start lines on putts, green reading. See a psychologist and stop talking to journos.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He Needs to get rid of Harry ...past point of bullshit around many things that are daft...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Another year of Rory's head beating Rory at Augusta. You can't help but think with Rory out of contention for winning it if he will do another 2022 over the next 2 days with the psychological shackles off and suddenly go on a burst of great play and decision making for a top 5 finish

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Of course he will. Almost guaranteed a 63 on Sunday with no pressure. Its all in the head.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Ah lads, it's clear Rory isn't playing near top of his game and he definitely has mental issues with Augusta but anyone who's watched his career would know any chance he had went out the window when the wind started blowing. So he may shoot 63 and improve over the weekend but that would mostly be down to the wind calming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Is that not a ridiculous low standard for an Irish golfer ..who just won scotish open in a gale ...and is going for a career grand slam.

All great golfers can control ball flight..

Nothing to do with the wind. No bad shots he had were due to the wind. Everything to do with his mental weakness on the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Second on 11 was definitely wind related and obviously his inherent attacking aggressive style.

There was just no way he could almost aim to not hit the green from 195 yards.

And he does struggle in the wind generally, he's not as in control of his flight as some guys, hence the wedge issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm a huge fan, but you'd hope the absolute schooling he's after getting from Scheffler over two days, beating him by 5 each day, might somehow resonate with him and he'd realise that bunting a low one down the fairway is sometimes a good play in the wind. I know they're all trying their best and tbf they're all amazing players, but to do what he did on 11 was borderline criminal after watching his playing partners hit the sensible shots. I don't know which was worse between that and the bogey on 7th. I mean FFS even Tiger with half a functioning body is 4 shots better than him.

Still a big fan, but rapidly losing faith that he'll ever close the deal on a 5th major. All the FedEx Cups and DP World tour championships in the world won't scratch that itch.

• Advertisement

Maybe you haven't been following McIlroy's career? Notoriously bad wind player because of his ball flight. Obviously, I'm saying he's bad compared to his best. Look at any major he won, very little wind.

Wrong. As I said, he has phycological issues with majors and he's struggling for form but the wind killed any chance he had. So it's a combination of a number of things.

Scheffler is at the top of his game right now. He's untouchable at the moment. Rory is trying to get his swing together and is struggling. Whatever path he wants to take, going with Butch or whoever, he'll need time to get things together. Then hopefully he can return to his best and give Scheffler a rattle.

Not wrong at all. The wind only highlighted his bad decision making on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Could you argue that when Scottie had a 10 shot lead in the fedex and Rory made it up to win that scottie needed to change his game? No **** happens.

Rory is changing his game, he's playing badly. I doubt he had a single thought in his head of winning this week but I can assure you he's hoping to win one this year.

I don't know why people hate him, it's not his job to make us happy. He's literally just out there trying it cement his legacy in a sport he loves, we are a byproduct of him being a talented Irish golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Water on 11th the wind 100% was a contributor to him going in the water with his high ball flight

Is this the first time you've heard that McIlroy struggles in the wind? No. So clearly it had an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

36 Majors since a win

Phil & Tiger have won one since

Bubba Watson

Zach Johnson

Jordan Spieth

Jason Day

Jordan Spieth

Henrik Stenson

Dustin Johnson

Jimmy Walker

Danny Willett

Jordan Spieth

Brooks Koepka

Justin Thomas

Sergio García

Francesco Molinari

Brooks Koepka

Brooks Koepka

Patrick Reed

Shane Lowry

Gary Woodland

Brooks Koepka

Tiger Woods

Bryson DeChambeau

Collin Morikawa

Dustin Johnson

Collin Morikawa

Jon Rahm

Phil Mickelson

Hideki Matsuyama

Cameron Smith

Matt Fitzpatrick

Justin Thomas

Scottie Scheffler

Brian Harman

Wyndham Clark

Brooks Koepka

Jon Rahm

Not playing to the conditions caused that to happen.

Of course it had an impact. But his mind was the biggest problem out there. You need to adjust to the conditions and play smarter on a day like yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭castor 1

He spoke a number of years back after making a mess of his drive on the 2nd hole (Par 5) that he had learned one thing about the round, not to use a driver on that hole ever again.

Next year he hits driver there again and makes a mess of it again.

He can’t resist pushing it to the limit with the driver.

He realizes his mistakes after they happen but continues to condemn himself to repeat them.

Feel sorry for him as his head is all over the place, by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

At this stage Milroy is a mental weakling at Augusta. He should just drop out of The Masters altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭big_drive

Decent round today , if he could find a low one tomorrow a top 10 could still be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Well, he has to pay for the weekend trip expenses, for his team and himself…

How much does 10th place pay….Pretty sure it's multiples of our yearly salary for a few rounds of golf, so he might as well stay!!

wow ! We should be over-awed with this achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

Of course sh1t happens, its golf, its hard.

I've no idea why people hate him either, I've never figured that out tbh. Old fashioned Irish begrudgery is all I can put it down to.

Its not his job to make us happy, you're right, I think a lot of the frustration of his fans is the feeling (right or wrong) that by now he should have double the majors he has, and he really has rarely looked like adding to them, bar probably St Andrew's and Reed's Masters. I think most fans realise he's always going to be more the mercurial type of player rather than a machine like Woods was. Speaking for myself, he's the best player I've ever seen, and its frustrating to see him struggling and being beaten by absolute plodders (relatively speaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Now one is asking you too be in the slights bit interest at all…

Anyway looked it up …10th place $486,000

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dan Steely

Looked subdued and a bit shocked in his Sky interview afterwards. Felt for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement