Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Haha he'll certainly be under the radar the way he's playing. He'll have no choice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

3 under through three, we'll find out if he can run away and hide anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

-4 now and flying

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

left into the water on 18 😮

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

Looks like he's in the zone today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rory is totally perplexing at times - hard to understand - even if we have been here many many times.

Listening to him after the round - it is a joy to listen to him being so honest - explaining his game and any changes.

He is a joy to have around - versus 90 % of them that don't offer much insight at all.

10 Birdies today, some shooting. Unlucky to find water , could even have been a couple better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

From the pgatour.com article- "He started the day by hitting his first five fairways and first eight greens. He made birdie on six of those holes, putting himself in position for a potentially record-breaking round. McIlroy hooked his tee shot into the water left of the 18th fairway, though. He took a penalty drop, then hit the green from 293 yards and two-putted for an impressive bogey save."

So Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That was a weird exchange on 7, Victor was quite arsey. Could clearly see the ball bounce before it went in the water so there’s a very good chance it crossed, and they all admitted as such, after an 8 minute discussion.

Hovland seems very off at moment, been taking digs at Jay Monahan at press conference. Had always thought he was a laid back kinda guy but not recently. Also probably not playing his best so perhaps a bit frustrated but definitely coming across as a bit angry at moment. McIlroy spoke in positive terms regarding Monahan during week so they hold different views there, might be causing a bit of tension between them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Himself and Speith were well off the mark. Hovland got what he deserved on the last.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Spieth's a total pr1ck, don't know how he's half as popular as he is.

He did not come across well at all in Full Swing either.

The last time Rory was under the radar he was 8 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Absolutely, when you see where the red line is you'd have to think there's no way if it hit inside the line, that you'd see it bounce like you did on the camera. I don't think it would have bounced at all if it hit inside the line, given how steep the ground was and how close to the water the line is. I think that drop was 100% ok tbh.

Don't know why the other two lads got involved. Maybe they thought the drop on 18 was a bit off. Didn't Hovland have a similar argument with Berger a few years ago ? Might even have been in Sawgrass too.

As for Spieth, why would he walk across saying the crowd on the other side said it 100% hit inside and then say but that means nothing, it's whatever you guys saw. Like why interject yourself into it. Unless there's still a little niggle over the phone call a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Never realised that tbh, but have seen it said a bit in the last day or so. Can't say its a surprise.

I was trying to remember the last Hovland exchange, but I remember him being very involved in something similar before, must've been the Berger one. He was adamant that time that Berger was taking a bad drop of I remember correctly.

I guess he takes his role in protecting the rules and the rest of the field very seriously, which is fair enough and valid as long as he's consistent in it. I don't think he had a problem with Rory's drop on this occasion from what I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

More surprised at Hovland who comes across pretty well most of the time

Speith on the other hand

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Scheffler last shot an over par round in the third round of the Tour Championship last August. He's well capable of not playing at his best and shooting a good score. His not so good just happens to be great for most other players.

firstly, not sure how I commented on something from aug 2023, so appolgies for that

but 66 is a great score and you need to play well to get it, he was tied top of a leaderboard of the best .0001 of golfers on the planet

he is number 1 for a reason, rory is number 2 for a reason also

you put in 4 scores of 66 and you probably win this

I thought it was from a recent tournament. As I say he can put up a score like that without playing great. He's just that good from tee to green that even if he misses a couple of greens he can still go very low.

When I'm saying he didn't play that great, I'm saying with how good he can be that he wasn't at his best. I'm not saying it as a comparison to anybody else.

• Advertisement

66 is in line with him playing great

he is number 1 because of this

he has been unreal for the last 2 years at least because of it

he rarely has those bad holes that other do, because he is playing well

He has a sore neck today and he's -4 for the round so far. 😁

Rory is getting way too cranky here - for no reason . If Lowry was at this - I'd be saying cop on Shane - you can't win the event today - but he is certainly carrying on like he will be out of it - when he will not be or shouldn't be.

And there you go - he makes a bird anyway - why all the drama and mood swings.

Look - I get tv commentary and typically I've no issue with it.

But - Henni Zuel - Paul McGinely and Nick Dougherty and Ewen Murray making suggestions for Rory McIlroy is a bit much.

Look I get it - but a hard listen.

He is 8 under - and in the mix playing poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rory co-leader last night. 8 shots behind now. Very little consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

He just can't keep the large numbers off his card...seems to have at least a double bogey at best every round...needs to improve on that

Sadly this is why he can not win a major - --- say you have a bad shot as a pro - you hit it out to 110 yards - and they are so good they can even get up and down say 50 % of the time.

With Rory - he has a big moment off the tee - he can then recover well - but then pull a wedge to a bunker - might get up and down - but sometimes his putting lets him down at the wrong time.

This all seems theoretical - but all the pros we watch - have something in them that makes the above sequence - a par or a bogey.

And a par is 2 shots better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lewie1989

Crikey it’s hard watching Rory , the most exciting player when playing well like yesterday but so frustrating at times ! Fully expect him to shoot a 70 tomorrow than a 64 Sunday. 2/4 great rounds but won’t be enough

• Advertisement

"Exactly" 😂 - when is the last time rough was a factor ?- but I think what we underestimate how good guys like Clark are - they literally get up and down all the time and hole everything. How can Rory overcome guys that get up and down all the time - and par 5s are a joke.

If Rory cant get up and down like these guys - and par 5s are not a joke - how does he ever win versus them.

Advertisement