Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

His assessment of himself was fairly revealing...he can't run away in majors

He was spot on about himself in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

I truly admired what I thought was his sense of decency & his love for the game , but as usual it boils down to money ! I admired his contempt for liv and everything it epitomised , only to be "showered" in similar terms by the PGA , disgusting ! , they're all money grubbing me feiners at the end of the day ! The masters is not far away now , a tournament I really enjoyed but I couldn't be arsed with now ! Money has destroyed football, now golf , even snooker , Saudi sports washing ! How much is enough ??? Your man from esker Hills would be filling pot holes for laois Co.council bar his ability to play golf but hasn't the "balls" to call out his lackeys !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think that's the drama of missing the cut and not being in it at the PGA. He was clearly on it at the US Open, proving he can compete as he did at St Andrew's the year before. You may have seen similar in the Tennis doc whereby Aryna Sabalenka wanted to quit Tennis, only to go and win a major. Self doubt is not a bad thing

He also stated many many times he thought he was the best golfer in the world.

But what is clearly visible is the amount of non golf related politics that was endured was astonishing, and all for very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Do you play golf? If you do then you'll lower your handicap by being all about yourself and forget your playing partners. It's okay to have a short chat but when you are fifty yards away from your ball just walk away from everybody and concentrate on your own game, no being nice and continuing to chat because they do.

Like every individual sport golf is about being your own man and f everybody else.

MOD EDIT per post #3189 to clean off topic banned chat

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He can't runaway but he can still win them IMO. I found it interesting when he said his technique isn't good enough anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Post edited by slave1 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Folks, take it down a patch please, this is a Golf forum, stick to golf, last few posts edited before warnings/bans

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AlanWatts

Disappointing to see Rory bogey 2 par 5s again in the first round. He just doesn't factor in risk enough on Thursdays and Fridays. Going for the green in 2 on the 6th from a bad lie was poor. Thats a shot to try on sat or Sun if you need to chase. Wish hed hand over some decision making to Harry, at least on Thursday/Fri. 7 Back after 1 round on a tough course gives him very slim chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I watched a Rick Shield V Tommy Fleetwood, great fun. Anyway, for relevance. Fleetwood hits one into the bunker and he's about 260 away on a Par5. And he says, if I was with Rory here he'd try a 3 wood and get into on the green, he just sees shots.

My point is when you have pros like Tommy who give him credit and unquestion him like this how is Harry meant to say, take it easy. Don't chase.

I'm agreeing with you, it's rare the outright leader wins a major or PGA day one. Rory just needs to be in contention Sunday, not winning it Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Rory driving the green on the 401 yrd 10th and shooting 30 on the back 9 not worth comment?

Rounding into form nicely, hope they have his measurements in Augusta

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AlanWatts

Of course it was great but we all want to see him do that on a Saturday when he's near the top of the leaderboard. The ability to see the shot thats called for on Thursday and Friday seems beyond him. He's -2 on the Pars 5s. Scottie is -10. That's the exact opposite of what wins Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Playing the par 5s well again today 😴

Rory can kind of hack it around and still get a top 20 - the tour is in a bad place at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He always could though. Even when he’s playing rubbish he can usually still make 4 or 5 birdies a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

Jeez, I dunno, he looks a million miles away from actually contending in an event at the moment doesn’t he.

Maybe it’s just me or maybe it’s because he’s been mid table fodder in the 4 (?) events he’s played in the States this year, but he looks strangely disinterested or something.

I know but he is muck here - and still will be what top 15 - golf fields have been weakend and this course set up was slightly harder with wind - and the scoring is muck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Bizarrely I feel like his best shot at Augusta is to come in a bit more under the radar

I don't know, I think he is possibly a little disinterested at times. He said he's playing more solely with the purpose to be in mid-season form for Augusta.

I don't think these fields get his juices flowing either. He wants to play against the best week to week and pretty much half the top players in the world are in Hong Kong this weekend.

It'll all be forgotten if he's on it during the second week on April!

Ohh I hope he is on it come April, and we all know how fickle golf can be, as Homa said, "one shot away from retiring and one shot away from thinking we can win in Augusta", but still, I just can't see him being remotely close to Scheffler or Rahm at the moment. I mean if Scheffler just putts even average to slightly poor, there's nobody getting within 5 or 6 of him in a given week.

And yet there was a combination of results that would have put Rory at world no.1 this week - what a mad game !!

• Advertisement

Scottie Scheffler has got to be the worst looking best golfer ever.

Being honest - even Rory being at his best - he would struggle to stick with an inform Clark - some ball striker if his head is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

Really? I'd be more of the opinion that no one on tour is sticking with Rory when he is on his best. It's just a shame that Rory's best seems so far away currently. Crossing fingers he finds form for April.

Post edited by Lip Out on

I don't think Rory's best at this stage takes the best of these other guys - his best from now is not Rory's best from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Rory has become a streak player -mixing stretches of topline play with utter mediocrity. He puts up some crazy stats -like being one over par for the 16 par fives here !!🙃

I know here's for talking, but we'll see what happens at Augusta, Valhalla, Pinehurst and Triton, because that's all that matters to Rory anyway.

Ahh I don’t know about that Fix. He’s a long way off Scheffler right now but even a half in form Rory is still streets ahead of most of them, even a Clark, he’s a pure “brute force” merchant imo. Then again, that’s the modern game I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He just need a hot putter 4 days in a row, not 3, needs to be 4, 3 won't do it in Augusta

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Watched his post round interview after yesterdays round, and he was saying he was super happy with the driver and off the tee, his putting was great for 3 days but that what killed him was having a big left miss with the irons. Said he was almost having to make two different swings with the irons and the woods. He said he hopes to work it out over the 3 days before Sawgrass. I think unpredictable iron play going into those small greens in Sawgrass could be a recipe for a short week. Wonder is Michael Bannon over there with him or back home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement