Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There is a pathway for most people to play golf, anyone can play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GolfPar

Not a single post on this thread during the tournament about the actual Golf and it has gone into meltdown since...

Good start to the year for Rory with a 2nd and a win but still plenty of room for improvement especially on the Sunday's. He has had 1 outstanding round each week which propelled him into contention on both occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Same logic then with football when trying to claim Rory is irelands greatest sportsperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I never said he was but Katie Taylor isn't either. Rory is our best Golfer that's for sure.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah defo our best golfer. Ireland greatest sportsperson is actually a cracking debate/pub argument, nobody stands fully out . And there’s a good few that have a decent shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Solid reading, yes. Or maybe I should have excluded paralysed people, amputees, etc., to preempt your inevitable caveats. But you know what I meant.

Usual story. There’s a couple of prominent posters in this thread who get incredibly butthurt every time he wins and start the “but, but majors” every time to try to disparage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Funny one, and very difficult to quantify if you're talking about one sport vs another.

Golf is hard to fit in because even the most successful golfers of all time lose a lot more than they win.

I think Tiger has the highest win percent for golfers all time, and that's with a rate of about 22%, so still losing around 4 out of every 5 tournaments he entered over his career (and he was a complete freak at his peak which probably has coloured how we view every other golfers success since)

I think that Nicklaus (the man most put with Tiger as the 2 greatest of all time) is only around 12%, so losing 7 out of 8.

And Rory around 9%.

Whatever way you look at it, Rorys career is exceptional and he'll go down as one of the greatest golfers to ever play, never mind greatest Irish golfer.

I think the first Masters blow up hit him exceptionally hard, and the second bad loss, to Patrick Reed will have added scar tissue. He definitely has more majors in him and I hope he gets a couple more over the line but winning in golf is hard, and winning in majors even harder. 4 chances a year, against the best players on the planet.

Got what you were looking for, I suppose 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Interesting discussion.

Team players are a cog in a machine. Roy Keane and Brian O'Driscoll were obviously on the apex of their respective sports. Roy on the best team in the world (unsure if true or not?), walked away from a grade B team in Saipan, not from injury or sickness, and given his role as a team player literally the largest fail a sportsperson could make at a time they are needed the most.

Ireland only become the best team in the world after BOD retired from rugby so from a stats perspective -he held back the team badly! 😄

Personally I think you need to go to individuals who live and die on their own performances to identify the best ever, as performance in a team is not clear.

This pool reduces to probably: Rory, Katie, Sonya, Padraig, Barry, Stephen, Sean, Michelle

Some of the above the legalities of their success is questionable unfortunately.

Rory jumps off the page here, followed by Sonya and Katie next. However we are on the Rory thread in a golf forum so a heavily biased answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭bren2001

On the most recent NLU podcast* recapping his win, KVB said Rory would be in the top 25 ever. Just about. I wouldn't put him as an "all time great". He's in the bracket after that. He needs to win the Masters or win a few more majors to move into that status in my opinion.

*the NLU team were not actually on the podcast, they were out filming a show. It was KVB and a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A bit of recency bias in the above post. No mention of George Best, Eamon Coughlan, John Treacy or Ronnie Delaney. No names of anybody from GAA like Cooper, Cluxton or Shefflin. What about Cora Staunton who won 11 all-star awards, is considered the greatest GAA women's player of all time, won a women's FAI Cup in soccer, a Connacht championship in rugby and finished her career as an Aussie rules player where she was the top scorer for her club in four consecutive seasons.

Still none of them are in the frame for best Irish sportsperson. I'll put up two, there's a third but I can't remember his name.

It's between,

Tony McCoy who broke multiple records as a jump jockey. 20 times champion jockey and jockey of the year. British and Irish sports personality of the year awards. OBE and MBE for his contribution to sport. Most winners by a jockey ever in the UK and Ireland, and it's not even close. Complete domination of the sport for twenty years. Won all the majors at Cheltenham and every grand national including the biggest one.

Martin Sheridan who won three Olympic gold medals at the start of the twentieth century, all in the discus. He also won a bronze in the standing long jump.

When they decided to have an Olympic games every two years, it only happened once in 1906, he won the discus and shot putt and had three silver medals in the standing long jump, high jump and stone throw.

He held multiple world records. All this while working in the New York police.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Paul O’Donovan deserves to be in the conversation as well - but he only really hits the public consciousness in an Olympic year

1 Olympic Gold

1 Olympic Silver

6 World Championship Golds

3 European Championship Golds

2 European Championship Silvers

How on earth will he go down as one of the greatest golfers? Maybe if your list has 20 in it I suppose. If you are expecting to him to win more majors then it’s a different conversation of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Barry McGuigan? Now I would have beeen a fan of his but why Barry McGuigan and not Steve Collins, Eamonn McGee, Bernard Dunne, Wayne McCullough (won the world title against a Japanese fighter in Japan after all), Carl Frampton......I could go on but in no way is McGuigan in this conversation. (And his behaviour as Carl Franmpton's manager was particularly shady which taints his reputation too)

I would think being ranked in the top 20 golfers of all time would be a fairly significant accolade, coming from a small country, given the other names that would be on that list

It’s a huge accolade, but it’s not exactly one of the greatest which is what you said. Top 20 would still be up for debate if he retired now. He won 4 majors in under a 4 year period , he blew hot.

I didn't change anything I said though. Nothing I subsequently said changes my viewpoint that I think he'll be recognised as one of the greatest golfers. Some will say he underachiever, and that's a reasonable argument, but it doesn't take from his actual achievements

I'm not going to get into a semantic argument over it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭bren2001

Top 20 isn’t one of the greatest golfers. You can have 20 “greats”.

Rory was/is brilliant but unless he bags a few more majors or the Masters, he isn’t one of the greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

So how many more Majors does he need to be "a great"? Is Phil a great? If Rory bags a Masters in his Career and completes the slam he will definitely be classed as a great no question

I think if he wins the Masters, he unquestionably joins the pantheon of the greats of the game by virtue of having won them all at least once, until then, he is well below the likes of Nicklaus, Woods, Hagen, Hogan, Player etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Surely the amount of begrudging sentiment towards Mcilroy at home is a testament to the level of success he has achieved away? 😄

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay folks, back to Thread Topic please, this is not the place to debate Ireland's greatest Sportsperson, thank you

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah :( I didn't get to the computer over the last couple of days to post, I was looking forward to weighing in!

Super thought process.

Alternatively, some look at him solely as a golfer rather than as an Irish golfer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Snooze -> Lose 😕

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

I look at him as a Golfer not really a fan but I would class him as one of the greats of my generation.

• Advertisement

Advertisement