Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Looking forward to sub 10k BTC again. Will be a good time to accumulate.

No you won't.

Stop posting this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

FFVII wrote: »
    No you won't.

Stop posting this crap

Yeah people who say that do two things when occasions like that actually do pop up: 1. Hesitate thinking it'll go lower and put it off or 2. Hesitate and doubt too much to actually buy with conviction. Bullsh!tters destined to just stay in the same place on the sidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Meh, I think that chinese comrades go after easy scapegoat. They had some damage to their energy production not that long ago and seems that they choose to blame evil miners for energy shortage. That story make it easier to deal with peasants who may be on the brink of revolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    Yeah people who say that do two things when occasions like that actually do pop up: 1. Hesitate thinking it'll go lower and put it off or 2. Hesitate and doubt too much to actually buy with conviction. Bullsh!tters destined to just stay in the same place on the sidelines

I hope you're having a few drinks and not serious. Who was buying when BTC stagnated around $4k? Who was buying ETH when it was <$100? Same again. There's a buyer for every trade. I know a good few here were buying because the only bad news was "price goes down", everything else was peachy. Crypto didn't end in the depths of 2018 even if it's how the moonbois spoke, many people here were buying continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

FFVII wrote: »
    Stop posting this crap

Why is this crap?

Zoom out and look at the long-term chart. No different than any other asset bubble in history including the 2017/18 bubble burst. I expect it, on balance of probability, to play out similarly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

Why is this crap?

Zoom out and look at the long-term chart. No different than any other asset bubble in history including the 2017/18 bubble burst. I expect it, on balance of probability, to play out similarly.

delusional. BTC isn't going away, what we are experiencing is a whole lot of FUD. China banning mining is a non issue, the miners will move and are moving as we speak. As for banks banning crypto transactions, story is done to death, ultimately they may feel a little more uncomfortable with the scenario but any ban won't succeed. The market will bounce back. As for 100 bucks btc, not a chance, i would be surprised if it went below 20k. Hold firm people. Take a break and forget about it for a while. Your mental health will thank you.

grindle wrote: »
    I hope you're having a few drinks and not serious. Who was buying when BTC stagnated around $4k? Who was buying ETH when it was <$100? Same again. There's a buyer for every trade. I know a good few here were buying because the only bad news was "price goes down", everything else was peachy. Crypto didn't end in the depths of 2018 even if it's how the moonbois spoke, many people here were buying continuously.

I was. You'd have to be thick to not buy at those prices if you're actually investing in crypto at all for the long-term

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I was. You'd have to be thick to not buy at those prices if you're actually investing in crypto at all for the long-term

There is a well known psychological bias in investing. The exact name escapes my memory right now but the basic idea is that often people will look back at what happened in the past. Given what happened in the intervening period, they then look for "signals" or metrics that they think were present then. So it's a kind of confirmation bias.

The actual bias then comes when they convince themselves that what happened subsequently was obvious at the time, or at least should have been obvious at the time. Where this gets dangerous is that going forward, this feeds into a sense of certainty which isn't necessarily justified.

And I have to preemptively emphasize - what a person is certain will happen, may actually happen. It does not mean that their certainty was correct. When it does happen to coincide, it reinforces the above mentioned bias.

If the other dude wants to talk about waiting for 10k then there is no point getting annoyed at him. That's his choice. He might be wrong or you might be wrong, or you might both be wrong. No need to get emotional over a difference of opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Dogecoin seems to have gone down a lot. It might go back up quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Waiting for MATIC/Polygon to find a floor here around 80c as long as the entire market doesn't dump as a result of BTC going below 25k.

Similar story with AVAX/Avalanche in the $7-8 range as a mutually exclusive, but EIP-1559 correlated, play in relation to some of the more interesting recent news coming from France

https://www.banque-france.fr/en/communique-de-presse/banque-de-france-conducts-new-central-bank-digital-currency-experiment

Few of the ETH2.0/CDBC oriented projects are starting to get enticing as short-term plays outside of the obviously roll-up oriented ones that are on tight timelines (MATIC included; zksync at some point this year as well).

• Advertisement

Piehead wrote: »
    Dogecoin seems to have gone down a lot. It might go back up quickly?

I'd be watching XLM and DOGE carefully for sentiment runs. When people get burned on alts and want a 'second shot' there's a mentality which always seems to push them towards the lowest unit prices in the top 20 bigcaps on coinmarketcap.

That is, of course, accepting that DOGE is basically a largecap ****coin with poor *flationary mechanics, and that XLM is one of the best codebases in the top 20 and hugely validated but one of the least 'sexy' coins and not a volatile price mover due to the Charitable Foundation backing and their stated mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Was looking at Doge earlier alright - pity I bought BTC with my spare USDT just before china decreased its value again.

So far my crypto experience has been a bit of a tumble down the hill.

Was wondering about taking a hit on some BTC to have free USDT for if things really flatten out.

Any thoughts, take a small hit now in the hope of recovery later????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,783 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Jackben75 wrote: »
    delusional. BTC isn't going away, what we are experiencing is a whole lot of FUD. China banning mining is a non issue, the miners will move and are moving as we speak. As for banks banning crypto transactions, story is done to death, ultimately they may feel a little more uncomfortable with the scenario but any ban won't succeed. The market will bounce back. As for 100 bucks btc, not a chance, i would be surprised if it went below 20k. Hold firm people. Take a break and forget about it for a while. Your mental health will thank you.

I would easily expect BTC to go below 20k in a multi-year bear (that's without significant bad news), and if global regulators really tightened up we could maybe see close to 10k. Eth could go under 500.

That said, I don't think we'll see prices drop as low as 2018, that was the third major bull (since 2013), and the cat is out of the bag, everyone will be expecting a fourth if we get a prolonged bear now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

Stay the course

We are in this together

The next 2 weeks are crucial

zackory wrote: »
    Stay the course

We are in this together

The next 2 weeks are crucial

Oh very likely there'll be a rise in the next few months - but that's all short-term bull****. The long-term is where it's at, and if we have entered a bear, you only need to look at 2018 for a guide as to what's likely to happen over the next year starting from peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Btc probably needs to shave another 30% off its price before we hit the bear I think

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I would easily expect BTC to go below 20k in a multi-year bear (that's without significant bad news), and if global regulators really tightened up we could maybe see close to 10k. Eth could go under 500.

That said, I don't think we'll see prices drop as low as 2018, that was the third major bull (since 2013), and the cat is out of the bag, everyone will be expecting a fourth if we get a prolonged bear now.

i don't see it but of course anything is possible, if eth drops to sub 500, i will be buying a ****load of it as well as significant amounts of Dot, anyway, let's see :pac:

i don't see it but of course anything is possible, if eth drops to sub 500, i will be buying a ****load of it as well as significant amounts of Dot, anyway, let's see :pac:

Yeah while it would be a hit to the current investment - I would have to agree if it drops like that the only thing to do would be invest heavy.

seannash wrote: »
    I'm surprised that I haven't seen anything about the Binance scam covered in the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG8LfZoMd_E

Great piece:

https://franciskim.co/binance-futures-matching-engine-crumbles-under-volatility/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

pioneerpro wrote: »

Yeah he mentions Techleads high level version of it in the article.
    I'm actually amazed I haven't heard about it. It's very damning but I guess no one has any sympathy for leveraged traders.

I'm reading it as a sign to take my stuff off Binance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Dipped below 30K we'll see how many orders below get filled...

seannash wrote: »
    Yeah he mentions Techleads high level version of it in the article.
    I'm actually amazed I haven't heard about it. It's very damning but I guess no one has any sympathy for leveraged traders.

I'm reading it as a sign to take my stuff off Binance

Never heard anything about that - interesting, who would people recommend for a switch to?

Never heard anything about that - interesting, who would people recommend for a switch to?

it is specific to leverage trading, it's a very risky business on a good day, there may well be a bug(s) but the crypto markets are obviously volatile as hell so it would need to be assessed thoroughly etc. Rewards can be big but as people experience, you can get wiped out. Not good but Binance will weather the storm.

the techlead guy also expects tether to imminently crash. I am a bit skeptical on him in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

weemcd wrote: »
    Dipped below 30K we'll see how many orders below get filled...

HODL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

zackory wrote: »
    HODL

Might even start buying dips soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

the techlead guy also expects tether to imminently crash. I am a bit skeptical on him in general.
    I like his humour in his videos. He does present a lot of facts as well so I dont rubbish his opinion but I don't take it as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It looks like China has once again spooked the markets with another of it's little tantrums based on it's never ending struggle in trying to exert total control over money. At a guess I'd say they are terrified at the prospect of their new e-Yuan co-existing on an exchange with bitcoin, which could have resulted in a capital flight super highway - capital flight being a raging beast they have been trying to keep caged and tranqued forever.

Meanwhile, several US states are currently trying to attract Crypto miners and are offering low taxes and abundant cheap green energy for them. Looks like a no-brainer to me. The biggest problem these miners likely face is the Covid meltdown of China's main container handling port and terminal which has global shipping in an inflation fueling tiz at the moment. Getting things out of China looks like a big issue.

Funny how little this Covid outbreak among Yantian shipping terminal workers in China seems to feature in the news. The usual Chinese lies abound - all fix soon. So much for the 'we are free of Covid' face China has been trying to sell the world on.

It's pretty much a perfect bear wave at the moment and negative sentiment will last as long as it takes these large mining operations to relocate and ramp up again.

Sentiment may not improve until the miner relocation picture becomes clearer.

weemcd wrote: »
    Might even start buying dips soon...

I wouldn't touch it until we are months into this. If this settles into a bear, then prices should go much lower, I'd be aiming for sub 500 Eth and sub 20k BTC

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch it until we are months into this. If this settles into a bear, then prices should go much lower, I'd be aiming for sub 500 Eth and sub 20k BTC

Only way that'll happen is if we've seen the cycle top ($64k) already and then stay in an actual bear market until the next cycle is expected (2024 halving). I highly doubt we'll get that low, and think it's much more likely we'll just bounce around like this until later in the year and recover into next year. Would be really surprising for so many people to be so wrong and expectations fall so short that $64k is the highest we get for a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

Only way that'll happen is if we've seen the cycle top ($64k) already and then stay in an actual bear market until the next cycle is expected (2024 halving). I highly doubt we'll get that low, and think it's much more likely we'll just bounce around like this until later in the year and recover into next year. Would be really surprising for so many people to be so wrong and expectations fall so short that $64k is the highest we get for a few years

What do you mean?

Advertisement