Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Rob2D wrote: »
    A very smart guy I follow on twitter has also been saying this. Looking like it could be likely. Mini bear market/reset before another blast off.

I for one will be taking my money off the table in that case. And probably DCAing in afterwards. I would encourage others to do the same or at least take some profit. Nobody ever went broke taking profits.

Now, obviously you shouldn't get shaken out like yesterday but neither should you hold too long into uncertainty.

I don't want anyone here who is currently in profit to get rekt.

No one who stuck to the principle of only investing what they could afford to lose is going to get wrecked. Similarly, that basic principle means reducing your future profit to take profit shouldn't be necessary. If you hold BTC, only sell because it's a good time to sell and because it's you making the decision and not the markets scaring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

mcriot29 wrote: »
    What do you think Tesla will accept then Ada maybe ETH
    Or the doge

Whatever doesn’t loses them the carbon credits. The irony is that by selling these they are not green at all. It’s just transferring them to someone else so they are not a green company at all. Look up how much they make from these. It’s ridiculous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

cnocbui wrote: »
    No one who stuck to the principle of only investing what they could afford to lose is going to get wrecked. Similarly, that basic principle means reducing your future profit to take profit shouldn't be necessary. If you hold BTC, only sell because it's a good time to sell and because it's you making the decision and not the markets scaring you.

Agreed but in my case I have a lot at stake. Now I'm not going to starve or anything if I loose it but still it's nice profit from where I started and I wouldn't mind leaving with my current bag at all.

I do believe we'll probably see a good run later in the year if we crash again but I'd rather be safe than sorry in the meantime. Anything can happen in a mini bear market of 3 months or so like some are predicting.

If you don't have any decent profit to take yet then yeah HODL away I'd say. I just need to have my trailing stop losses set is all. Good for the mental health. Helps me sleep at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭quinneerr

AH92 wrote: »
    Trying to liquidate Justin Sun.....
    Justin sun got caught up in it, not the target.
    BTC big players united to take out a new entrant to the market, Goldman Sachs
    Dump timed for 3am NY time
    Everything the squid touches is toxic, the BTC players don’t want them anywhere near it.
    Goldman now looking to close their BTC trading desk, job done, onwards and upwards for crypto.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fazorb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Fazorb wrote: »

I hear the DOGE people turned down his offer of help? If there even is DOGE people anymore.......

"Outsiders" are one thing, but go back a few days and look at your first few posts. I'm sure if they didn't contain that air of arsery, your opinions would have been more welcome or inviting of debate to others.

As a newbie to here Donald Trump has clearly raised some valid points, too many posters here are in a serious relationship with their holdings, they point blank refuse to see any possible down side to their crypto, they are like an Ostrich with their head in the ground and refuse to even contemplate a negative opinion on their crypto.
    You should step back and have a good hard look at what you are holding and do a fair and balanced assessment of the pro and cons, too many here only see their holdings going up up and away and we know this cannot happen, but the delusion is strong with some posters and these are the ones that will be left holding heavy bags when the bear comes for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

quinneerr wrote: »
    As a newbie to here Donald Trump has clearly raised some valid points, too many posters here are in a serious relationship with their holdings, they point blank refuse to see any possible down side to their crypto, they are like an Ostrich with their head in the ground and refuse to even contemplate a negative opinion on their crypto.
    You should step back and have a good hard look at what you are holding and do a fair and balanced assessment of the pro and cons, too many here only see their holdings going up up and away and we know this cannot happen, but the delusion is strong with some posters and these are the ones that will be left holding heavy bags when the bear comes for real.

Everyone has a right to make their own decisions whether they are good or bad.

Having someone repeatedly state its a bad decision while also saying they don't have a dog in the fight is only going to make people more stubborn. It's little more than back seat driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

cc87 wrote: »
    Everyone has a right to make their own decisions whether they are good or bad.

Having someone repeatedly state its a bad decision while also saying they don't have a dog in the fight is only going to make people more stubborn. It's little more than back seat driving.

I never said anything was a good or a bad decision. You can look back. I only commented on apparently absolutist statements and advice.

The only "advice" I gave myself, which shouldn't even have to be considered as advice, is not to put all your eggs in one basket and to not put in more than you can afford to lose. That is not specific to any asset class. It might be obvious to you, but you can't assume nobody forgets it by virtue of being caught up in hype or otherwise

Could you quote some of these posters here and maybe address them rather than going for the big bad 'they'?

I have absolutely no qualms with someone pointing out the (many) downsides of crypto trading, as I do it myself, but Donald came in looking for a fight and I'm not one bit surprised with the reaction he got.

Any of these 'ostriches' are likely moonboys and lambo lovers who have about 150 quid 'invested' and only read or watch news which confirms their bias.

• Advertisement

I never said anything was a good or a bad decision. You can look back. I only commented on apparently absolutist statements and advice.

The only "advice" I gave myself, which shouldn't even have to be considered as advice, is not to put all your eggs in one basket and to not put in more than you can expect to lose. That is not specific to any asset class. It might be obvious to you, but you can't assume nobody forgets it by virtue of being caught up in hype or otherwise

In that case I've no idea what your overall point has been.

cc87 wrote: »
    In that case I've no idea what your overall point has been.

My original point was to a poster whom I thought (maybe my misunderstanding based on community specific terminology) was apparently advising people that there was definite dip coming and that people wanting to buy should wait to buy in then with anything they had. I didn't like the definiteness of the advice. That was all. And it contradicted with his simultaneous advice to hold what they currently had - but that is confusing the point for some people. Another post was positing that something was "surely" going to happen.

The only "advice" I gave myself, which shouldn't even have to be considered as advice, is not to put all your eggs in one basket and to not put in more than you can afford to lose. That is not specific to any asset class. It might be obvious to you, but you can't assume nobody forgets it by virtue of being caught up in hype or otherwise
    Sure just look at the XRP thread, the CEO of Ripple has stated XRP not required, the bag holders don't what to know about this, do you not find that weird to say the least?
    ADA took a beating on Twitter the other day with Mark Cuban, not a peep about it here, its like the holders just put their fingers in their ears and don't want to hear any criticism.
    Imagine looking forward to Man Utd v Liverpool in a big cup final, you are going to place a substantial bet on this game, your walking to the bookies on the morning of the match, you check your phone and see Man Utd have had virus outbreak in the camp, the team has lost a few big stars and had to put in a few replacements from the under 20's, ask yourself honestly would you still put the bet on a weakened man Utd to beat a full strength Liverpool?
    Posters here are betting money on certain cryptos despite a plethora of reasons not to, they have become fans of it, they have lost perspective and are no longer investors. they are zealot holders and just as bad as the ultra fans of a football club, and as we have all seen, the last day of the season will show grown men crying in the stands when their club gets regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Sure just look at the XRP thread, the CEO of Ripple has stated XRP not required, the bag holders don't what to know about this, do you not find that weird to say the least?
    ADA took a beating on Twitter the other day with Mark Cuban, not a peep about it here, its like the holders just put their fingers in their ears and don't want to hear any criticism.
    Imagine looking forward to Man Utd v Liverpool in a big cup final, you are going to place a substantial bet on this game, your walking to the bookies on the morning of the match, you check your phone and see Man Utd have had virus outbreak in the camp, the team has lost a few big stars and had to put in a few replacements from the under 20's, ask yourself honestly would you still put the bet on a weakened man Utd to beat a full strength Liverpool?
    Posters here are betting money on certain cryptos despite a plethora of reasons not to, they have become fans of it, they have lost perspective and are no longer investors. they are zealot holders and just as bad as the ultra fans of a football club, and as we have all seen, the last day of the season will show grown men crying in the stands when their club gets regulated.

It does seem that to be investing in crypto you need to be on twitter.

Going to have to recitfy that haha. Time for a twitter account

My original point was to a poster whom I thought (maybe my misunderstanding based on community specific terminology) was apparently advising people that there was definite dip coming and that people wanting to buy should wait to buy in then with anything they had. I didn't like the definiteness of the advice. That was all. And it contradicted with his simultaneous advice to hold what they currently had - but that is confusing the point for some people. Another post was positing that something was "surely" going to happen.

So it's all based on a misunderstanding due to a literal interpretation of "buy the dip" and "hodl"?

Good thing no one said "to the moon"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Ah you were sealioning a bit now Donald admit it

The ADA thing was resolved by Charles H talking to him and explaining it’s functionality and usage. He pulled back his criticism and said he was rooting for it. Twitter is a platform where people can say anything and then do a u-turn when someone calls them out for not knowing what they are talking about. It looks like he didn’t research it at all before he posted.

Could you quote some of these posters here and maybe address them rather than going for the big bad 'they'?

I have absolutely no qualms with someone pointing out the (many) downsides of crypto trading, as I do it myself, but Donald came in looking for a fight and I'm not one bit surprised with the reaction he got.

Any of these 'ostriches' are likely moonboys and lambo lovers who have about 150 quid 'invested' and only read or watch news which confirms their bias.
    Irish_rat wrote: »
    Theta holding very strong on this dip. 5-10x coming in the next two months
    Theta was about $10 when this post was made, so Theta to $50-100 by August, we will split the difference and call it $75, that would put THETA at number 3 with coin market cap.
    Now am i the only one who is stunned at his prediction, given with zero reason to back it up, if you believe this to be true, i'm going to believe that you have done serious research, so why not give us a trail of breadcrumb's to follow at the very least, or should we just have blind faith.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The ADA thing was resolved by Charles H talking to him and explaining it’s functionality and usage. He pulled back his criticism and said he was rooting for it. Twitter is a platform where people can say anything and then do a u-turn when someone calls them out for not knowing what they are talking about. It looks like he didn’t research it at all before he posted.
    "I truly hope your dreams come true Charles." - Mark Cuban
    Does that look like an endorsement to you?
    Mark asked for real world current use of ADA, and what did he get.............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Theta was about $10 when this post was made, so Theta to $50-100 by August, we will split the difference and call it $75, that would put THETA at number 3 with coin market cap.
    Now am i the only one who is stunned at his prediction, given with zero reason to back it up, if you believe this to be true, i'm going to believe that you have done serious research, so why not give us a trail of breadcrumb's to follow at the very least, or should we just have blind faith.

Nope no one is stunned because these predictions are par for the course in Crypto. Is it wishful thinking? Possibly, or perhaps he has a genuine belief it will go to that price.
    He shared his opinion, its up to people to either believe it or not. That's why DYOR is a thing

• Advertisement

"I truly hope your dreams come true Charles." - Mark Cuban
    Does that look like an endorsement to you?
    Mark asked for real world current use of ADA, and what did he get.............

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mark-cuban-roots-cardano-engages-111000507.html?

Can’t tell tone from a tweet. Did he actually research it? Time will tell.

seannash wrote: »
    Nope no one is stunned because these predictions are par for the course in Crypto. Is it wishful thinking? Possibly, or perhaps he has a genuine belief it will go to that price.
    He shared his opinion, its up to people to either believe it or not. That's why DYOR is a thing

Why not at least give a reason for your price prediction.
    No reason given to me means they don't have one, just a fan boy bag holder, posting their fantasy on boards , lets be honest i have more chance bedding Charlize Theron than Theta hitting $75, if i posted i was gong to do that i would be called out as delusional, but these wild price predictions are seen as normal around here, posters should have to back up a price prediction with a reason, thats not hard, if you have done any research why not post some of it here, we are all hoping to make profit, share what you found out, get it peer reviewed so to speak.

Why not at least give a reason for your price prediction.
    No reason given to me means they don't have one, just a fan boy bag holder, posting their fantasy on boards , lets be honest i have more chance bedding Charlize Theron than Theta hitting $75, if i posted i was gong to do that i would be called out as delusional, but these wild price predictions are seen as normal around here, posters should have to back up a price prediction with a reason, thats not hard, if you have done any research why not post some of it here, we are all hoping to make profit, share what you found out, get it peer reviewed so to speak.

He doesn't have to provide a reason.
    You can ask him his reasons.
    You can ignore his prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

In reality if you trade in stocks, crypto, oil, coffee beans etc. etc. and you made 10% a year you will be doing extremely well.

If you have ambitions of exceeding 10% profit then you are on a sliding sliding scale into gambling territory. Hoping for even 15% would be an outright high risk bet.

seannash wrote: »
    Ah you were sealioning a bit now Donald admit it

Nope. I had to look that term up.

I asked the fella a question. It was an extremely basic and simple question, yet he didn't appear to understand it. The immediate response was to call me clueless. I replied to that and was called clueless again. Then after my subsequent reply to he told me he was laughing at me. I don't care what he laughs at. Let him laugh away. I worked in international capital markets for around a decade. I never insulted or tried to belittle anyone. I'm not too worried about some random fella calling me clueless. I don't need or care for his validation or not. If he is happy, then let him be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Rule of thumb for me. Ignore "advice" that predict infinity or disaster. They are hyperbolic.

Examples.

"It's going to to zero, sell now"

"It'll be at least 100k by December. Might head to Portugal to live tax free etc"

A lot of people may be in up to their eyes, or have lost a fortune. Others are maybe jealous and hate seeing other people making money. You'll be able to categorize pretty quickly who has an agenda.

Crypto is a gamble. No two ways to about it.

Stick in what you can afford to lose,and enjoy the ride. Like gambling, it's a bit of fun if you don't lose the run of yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If you have ambitions of exceeding 10% profit then you are on a sliding sliding scale into gambling territory. Hoping for even 15% would be an outright high risk bet.

The gambling rollercoaster aspect is what makes it exciting! If crypto didn't have it's moonshot possibilities the incentive to buy it would be near nil because 95%+ of the market doesn't give a crap about anything being centralised or decentralised or about fiat inflation, everybody would be investing in normie blue chips for low returns.

Crypto for the moment is more like oil in your example rather than stocks or coffee beans, but not in the sense of buying oil futures, more in the sense of hoarding and starving liquidity like OPEC do to maintain high prices.

Currently up about 30,000% (notionally) since 2016 and would relish the chance for it to drop to a lowly 3,000% increase. Too damn expensive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

grindle wrote: »
    The gambling rollercoaster aspect is what makes it exciting! If crypto didn't have it's moonshot possibilities the incentive to buy it would be near nil because 95%+ of the market doesn't give a crap about anything being centralised or decentralised or about fiat inflation, everybody would be investing in normie blue chips for low returns.

Crypto for the moment is more like oil in your example rather than stocks or coffee beans, but not in the sense of buying oil futures, more in the sense of hoarding and starving liquidity like OPEC do to maintain high prices.

Currently up about 30,000% (notionally) since 2016 and would relish the chance for it to drop to a lowly 3,000% increase. Too damn expensive these days.

The thing about oil is everybody needs it. Not sure how hoarding bitcoin will force up the price as nobody needs it:confused::confused:

As for a "moonshot" if I had €5000 why not back the 8/1 in the 2.15 at Haydock.

At least you are calling gambling for what it is. If its a bit of craic then no harm.

I don't think anybody will get rich from bitcoin again, as in €150 worth in 2016 going up 30000%

If you buy 1 bitcoin today for $40K and it appreciates 50% in value then you make $40K.

But tell that to the lads that bought recently at nearly $60K.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

grindle wrote: »

Yeah everything else is boring in comparison to crypto returns really. If you're young especially, you can afford to take the 'gamble', and I'd even argue young people should since this is a stupidly expensive country that's really hard to get ahead in with the housing crisis. Down the line then, once you've made good returns you can concentrate more on the traditional, less volatile options

What's funny though is how volatile crypto has even made some shares lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Everything pumping now. I'd say we're no more than 24 hours away from the next shake out if the recovery is too quick.

Tread carefully...

Advertisement