Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

harmless wrote: »
    So proof of work is bad for the environment unless it is dogecoin?
    And people actually listen to him :pac:

Well he did say he was working with the devs. Not hard to transition to pos.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

mcsean2163 wrote: »

A hard fork is never easy. The risk is extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

mcsean2163 wrote: »

There are literally no doge devs. He’s a spoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Doge way up now.

It was equal to XLM a few days ago but went way further down than XLM.

It's catching up fast but I wouldn't touch it.

Doge rumoured to be listed on CB in a few weeks apparently, so must be that news

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    Doge rumoured to be listed on CB in a few weeks apparently, so must be that news

Nope, Musk is a crypto pump and dumper.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1392974251011895300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes. Something that can be stable long-term but also going higher and in a crash can still hold its stability regardless of others falling down the pit.

That wouldn't be a stablecoin. Just a cryptocurrency that is somewhat stable.

While he is a spoofer. It's not entirely true that there are no Devs.
    It started as a memecoin. But given its recent surge, there's been some work on the protocol, and there were some transaction time changes recently which is what Elon is refering to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Patrick lodder, Langer Hans and Ross nicoll.

They're the most active on Reddit and are top 10 committors since 2018

https://github.com/dogecoin/dogecoin

So there are Devs and with elons money who knows....

Fwiw, I sold nearly all my dogecoin at 700 satoshi on April 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A really good article looking at bitcoin mining and energy use: https://hbr.org/2021/05/how-much-energy-does-bitcoin-actually-consume

This bit really puts into perspective some of the hand-wringing and comparrisons:
    but back of the envelope calculations suggest that there’s enough flared natural gas in the U.S. and Canada alone to run the entire Bitcoin network.

It is mentioned in the context that some bitcoin miners have harnessed flared natural gas to produce the energy they use.

I think there is some chance Musk will be back singing bitcoins praises after he's refilled his pockets.

weemcd wrote: »
    A friend of mine who is a lot more knowledgeable than I has been very bullish on this for a number of months. Can't say I know too much myself. I don't see too much hype around it yet, which is a good thing. It definitely has room to grow.

Up a big chunk since this post haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

cnocbui wrote: »
    A really good article looking at bitcoin mining and energy use: https://hbr.org/2021/05/how-much-energy-does-bitcoin-actually-consume

This bit really puts into perspective some of the hand-wringing and comparrisons:

It is mentioned in the context that some bitcoin miners have harnessed flared natural gas to produce the energy they use.

I think there is some chance Musk will be back singing bitcoins praises after he's refilled his pockets.
    If by that you mean, bought more in the dip, then I agree.
    There was a chart brought up somewhere recently (possibly reddit), that showed the banks use much more energy than Bitcoin, so he would technically be reducing by moving there to begin with.
    But I can't see how he can re-announce BTC as accepted by Tesla after that statement, and explaining it and backing up the stance a few times since.
    Then again, it is Elon Musk. he can probably do that and it would be ignored r largely go unnoticed and everyone would celebrate... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Musk boosted Doge, then said it was a con, then said it's better than bitcoin. All with a grin and a straight face, of course, from his private jet while he piles on yet more CO2 conscious eco warrior air miles.

Suckit wrote: »
    If by that you mean, bought more in the dip, then I agree.
    There was a chart brought up somewhere recently (possibly reddit), that showed the banks use much more energy than Bitcoin, so he would technically be reducing by moving there to begin with.
    But I can't see how he can re-announce BTC as accepted by Tesla after that statement, and explaining it and backing up the stance a few times since.
    Then again, it is Elon Musk. he can probably do that and it would be ignored r largely go unnoticed and everyone would celebrate... :rolleyes:

Yeah that chart has been doing the rounds but it's comparing sultanas with elephants. You can't compare the bitcoin network with the ENTIRE banking network. What would be relevant is how much power bitcoin uses if it were at the scale of the banking network. And it seems fairly clear now that scale is impossible for bitcoin.

I think it's about time everyone stopped referring to bitcoin as a currency, it's just muddying the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sparkletooth

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I love the fluctuation in price.

Get in then out then in again. :)

Overtrading Crypto will get you rekt eventually. Just saying

Edit. If you're talking about DCAing into and hodling good coins through bull market and laddering out towards the top and buying up good coins that survive the bear market... that's a winning strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Bob24 wrote: »
    I am in two minds about this. I agree with the above points, plus I suspect he’s fed-up with memecoin creators airdropping tokens to his wallets as some sort of proof of credibility and here he is sending them a message telling them to stop.

But on the other hand it is also true that a direct consequence of his action is the destruction of value for probably hundreds of thousands of people holding those tokens. I get that he isn’t scamming anyone and he did nothing to find himself in the situation whereby he is controlling a massive supply of those tokens, but still he made the choice to release that supply with fully knowledge of the consequences.

No wonder. How would you deal with competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭circadian

https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1393232146681286664?s=19

I've said it in other threads. Musk is just pumping these coins for his own gain. Turns out that it was also to cover Tesla running at a deficit.

Good idea and he's lucky BTC has enough of it's own momentum to handle this kind of volatility.

Doge on the other hand, a lot of people will get wrecked. Don't get me wrong, plenty will make cash but the amount of people I know that have literally zero knowledge of crypto know bitcoin and doge. If doge is currently selling at $0.50 cents a coin and van be bought on the likes of revolut or whatever then expect A LOT of regular Joes putting decent sums of cash into it only for Elon to decide its time to dump his 27% holding in the coin.

The top 20 wallets have at least 50% existing currency. I know his fans will stick by him no matter what but he runs the risk of damaging his brand to the wider populace, this could actually hurt tesla significantly.

circadian wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1393232146681286664?s=19

I've said it in other threads. Musk is just pumping these coins for his own gain. Turns out that it was also to cover Tesla running at a deficit.

Good idea and he's lucky BTC has enough of it's own momentum to handle this kind of volatility.

Doge on the other hand, a lot of people will get wrecked. Don't get me wrong, plenty will make cash but the amount of people I know that have literally zero knowledge of crypto know bitcoin and doge. If doge is currently selling at $0.50 cents a coin and van be bought on the likes of revolut or whatever then expect A LOT of regular Joes putting decent sums of cash into it only for Elon to decide its time to dump his 27% holding in the coin.

The top 20 wallets have at least 50% existing currency. I know his fans will stick by him no matter what but he runs the risk of damaging his brand to the wider populace, this could actually hurt tesla significantly.

I agree up to the point that whales do not need to dump it in large batches. For what we know they may be doing it already selling in smaller quantities every time price moves up. That way they will be cleaning out newcomers and not risking any bad publicity.
    How many times he can do this? John McAfee was doing it for quite a while up to the point nobody take him seriously anymore. He was shady then and still managed to rile up quite a lot of people to his pumpand dump scheme until they realized it is only him making money. Elon may end up the same no matter tesla, spacex or his financial status. He can keep doing what he does and one day soon markets wont notice his tweets.
    Perhaps he is helping buddies to get coins cheaper but I doubt he has a power to seriously harm bitcoin. Doge is different animal - textbook example of pump and dump coin in my opinion.

It is being dumped right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sparkletooth

patnor1011 wrote: »
    It is being dumped right now.

So is cummies. TIME TO MOVE INTO SAFEMOON, LADS.

What's going on here, this thread is more about being rational than overly optimistic now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

So is cummies. TIME TO MOVE INTO SAFEMOON, LADS.

40% in a day over 50% in a week! The more this happens & the faster this happens the better.

I do not know, it simply makes no sense to me at all.
    I understand sport, soccer mainly has tons of supporters who spend money on watching it and buying their favorite club merchandise but I would never even dreamt about how much money can go to soccer club tokens.
    Few days ago I was in awe watching ATM going from 9 to 15. Tonight it nearly touched 50. That is insane. Pretty much every soccer-related toked did 30-100% in a single day. Do fans really have that much purchasing power? We talk about billions here.
    It seems everything is possible now when a man who makes unaffordable cars and explodes rocket or two every month or so is still somehow still one of the richest people on earth.

harmless wrote: »
    What's going on here, this thread is more about being rational than overly optimistic now. :)

Excited and optimistic is good but what is happening over there right now is simply crazy. Seeing all that actually should make you a bit worried. Like, think about the value of the money?

I would say that most of this insanity is driven by oversupply - too much free money being printed and thrown in the system which instead of driving economy by new construction, manufacturing, or improving infrastructure go right in speculation or outright gambling. This is not going to end up well for most people if it goes like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Excited and optimistic is good but what is happening over there right now is simply crazy. Seeing all that actually should make you a bit worried. Like, think about the value of the money?

I would say that most of this insanity is driven by oversupply - too much free money being printed and thrown in the system which instead of driving economy by new construction, manufacturing, or improving infrastructure go right in speculation or outright gambling. This is not going to end up well for most people if it goes like this.
    is this copy paste???

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

I do not know, it simply makes no sense to me at all.
    I understand sport, soccer mainly has tons of supporters who spend money on watching it and buying their favorite club merchandise but I would never even dreamt about how much money can go to soccer club tokens.
    Few days ago I was in awe watching ATM going from 9 to 15. Tonight it nearly touched 50. That is insane. Pretty much every soccer-related toked did 30-100% in a single day. Do fans really have that much purchasing power? We talk about billions here.
    It seems everything is possible now when a man who makes unaffordable cars and explodes rocket or two every month or so is still somehow still one of the richest people on earth.

You're talking about the starship test rockets there, they're literally just prototypes that they're developing so it doesn't really matter that they explode because each one they test they're getting huge amounts of data to work out improvements for the next one and the next one. The entire point of their development process with it is to just repeatedly test it until they get it perfect, and when they do get it perfect and end up with the proper startship versions they'll be used for some of the most interesting space exploration missions in history. They're constantly manufacturing 4-5+ rockets at a time, like a production line, since they'd planned for most of them to explode and get destroyed

Look at how car manufacturers crash test their cars, can't make an omelette without cracking an egg. Not defending Musk here either, but Space X as he's just the CEO and the company is a lot bigger and more than just a CEO. They've managed to turn themselves into a company that's heavily relied on by NASA, because NASA has gone stagnant and Space X has so many incredible engineers working in the company

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What's the best staking rate on usdt, without having to convert it into another currency (and do the likes of yeild farming/algorithm trading)?

Timmaay wrote: »
    What's the best staking rate on usdt, without having to convert it into another currency (and do the likes of yeild farming/algorithm trading)?

I can get 12% in 3 month earn on crypto.com but I'm staked for an indigo visa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I can get 12% in 3 month earn on crypto.com but I'm staked for an indigo visa

After the 6 months can you unstake your cro and maintain benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

No.

• Advertisement

No you must keep it staked.

Plus I have 10k CRO staked for indigo (~€1.1k at the time), it's now gone up to €3.5k equivalent in CRO. If I unstake now it will cost me much more to get back in.

Advertisement