Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Population of 5 million soon

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well it has to be accurate than approximate website incremental counter ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Accurate for 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Don't think you understand how the Irish economy works. For a variety of reasons we have landed on a FMNC economy with a reasonable number of high earners but a large block of lower income in the service economy. The economic model of the future is a significant transfer to support a reasonable lifestyle unless you want a class based society?

I'm not really sure that you are calling out a reality rather than making up your received wisdom. The problem of welfare fraud in Ireland is very small - a bit like the Daily Mail/Express class of factoids which have no real basis. Compared to what? would be my response to that. Perhaps the uncomfortable realisation you need to face is that your strategy makes everyone poorer and worse off and is based on the ladder pulling attitude of libertarianism ignoring the state help you yourself received and the state help Ireland as a whole received from the EU and the US MNC's. Hopefully you'll mature out of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

This is entirely false. I'm not sure what is further than rose tinted lens but grotesque fabrication of the past.

• I can't even start on healthcare. I mean, really bizarre take. In every attribute our healthcare system and outcomes are transformed from the 1980's. Anything serious back then you went to England - I remember the constant GAA fundraisers.
    • The reason we had no housing crisis is because Dublin and the rest of Ireland was in a deep economic recession. Most of our young took a ferry to England or got to the US. Housing was appalling quality. Asinine nonsense. I'm sure if we completely crashed the economy back to the stone age there would not be a shortage of housing.
    • We are one of the least populated countries in Europe. We are 36/48 in population density. Dublin is one of the least dense capital cities in Europe with Milk parlours still operating within the M50.

It's hard to actually make up so many nonsensical facts. We have a public transport problem largely generated by a population demanding ultra low density living (see above) and a refusal to properly fund servicing land, both of which would be easily cured if we had less of a populist housing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Population officially over the 5 million mark - even with COVID around 65,200 have arrived here and 54,000 have emigrated.

Population above 5 million for first time since 1851 (rte.ie)

• Advertisement
Advertisement