Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Population of 5 million soon

Options
  • 04-05-2021 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/ireland-population/

The current population of Ireland is 4,983,871 as of Tuesday, May 4, 2021, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data.

Ireland 2020 population is estimated at 4,937,786 people at mid year according to UN data.

Along with the 1.8 million in the North the island is getting back towards pre famine numbers. The population went up by a million between 1955 and 2000, and another million since 2000. Five million is a bit of a milestone, so I will be keeping an eye on the site to see when we hit that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

About 2 million too many if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

We're at slightly over 80% of the pre-Famine population. We would have had the census a few weeks ago but COVID stopped that one.

2 million too many what? Nordies? Prods? Dubs? Paddies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Do you include yourself in that 2 million too many?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

There are too many Roman Catholics here, polluting the oceans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

We could do with some kind of plague to try get the numbers down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

It’s probably already at 5m. Hard to know how covid has affected things. Census has been put back to next year anyway. That should formally confirm that we have hit 5 million in the 26 counties.

Based on CSO numbers in the mid-00s they expected it to hit 5 million back in 2019. Then in 2019 they expected it to hit 5 million last year :P

To be fair, we'd have been well there without austerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Too many of all the above, no person's in specific
    Do you include
    yourself in that 2 million too many?

I'm not included in the current Irish population so no I do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's ok, a lot of people will probably flock out of the country again as soon as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm not included in the current Irish population so no I do not.

What's your opinion on the population of where you are? Or of the world in general?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Or maybe just better city /housing/economy /family /contraceptive/ employment ..what is that word ..oh yeah planning!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

PsychoPete wrote: »

Yes this pandemic promised so much but as usual, can't help feeling let down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

There are too many Roman Catholics here, polluting the oceans.

You mean too many ticking the Catholic box of convenience, as they're about as Roman Catholic as the man in the Moon. Nobody gives a damn what the Pope says anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

It's ok, a lot of people will probably flock out of the country again as soon as they can.

With our social welfare system? Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

dodzy wrote: »
    With our social welfare system? Get real.

Only the good ones. Unlike most returns systems we hold onto the rejects.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

And it's expected to hit another million or so over the course of the next decade and a half. I think that was more or less what that 2040 plan that the government produced a couple of years back, said. No one has a crystal ball and now throwing the aftermath of Covid in, and any economic fallout, who knows?

I'm not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I think we are still under populated for our land size. Always felt that was the EU view of us. Up to the start of Covid, there certainly feels that we've had more arriving than leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cal4567 wrote: »
    And it's expected to hit another million or so over the course of the next decade and a half. I think that was more or less what that 2040 plan that the government produced a couple of years back, said. No one has a crystal ball and now throwing the aftermath of Covid in, and any economic fallout, who knows?

I'm not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I think we are still under populated for our land size. Always felt that was the EU view of us. Up to the start of Covid, there certainly feels that we've had more arriving than leaving.

Does a country really have to be populated according to EU norms?
    How are all these people supposed to support themselves? More one off housing and urban sprawl isn't that great as far as the environment is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Does a country really have to be populated according to EU norms?
    How are all these people supposed to support themselves? More one off housing and urban sprawl isn't that great as far as the environment is concerned.

No, it doesn't but I do feel we are tending towards EU norms in many areas. This is one of them. We've been fairly compliant up to now on change but you can't get away from the perception if you cannot get work/ a home/ an operation / then it might be because there are more of us here now.

Like I referred to above, it is hard to tell the future. I thought we were increasing population numbers in spades but Covid has put a stop to that. Not sure how the next decade is going to work out.

Another million or so fills me with horror. We can't have more one off housing and urban sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭topdecko

beerguts wrote: »
    If we are serious about climate change why would we be happy with population increase. Anh gains in national carbon emissions we make by adjusting our lifestyle will be lost by adding more people.
    Also how many of that increase is worthless travellers and general wasters.
    Charming... Current economic models demand good birth rate. Ireland in an envious position as regards other countries where birth rates are in freefall - Greece, Italy etc and they are banjaxed in terms of elderly care etc.
    Population density in Ireland ranks 39th in Europe and so we have some way to go before we can complain about too many people here.
    your statement is pretty shocking tbh - we don't need another thread derailed by pointless racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And that's something that will only get worse with O'Gorman's "come one come all" Own-Door immigration policy, plus the likes of Coveney and FG are very much beholden to the EU agenda in this regard. Our (welfare) costs will only increase significantly as word gets out and international travel resumes.

As for us being underpopulated... we can't even manage to properly support the population we have now with huge wealth, employment, infrastructure, and opportunity inequality between Dublin and the rest of the country - something the effects of the Covid restrictions have only made worse, where many rural businesses may never reopen.

On top of that is this recent nonsense about a United Ireland which would only add billions per year to our costs, financial-crash style tax hikes, and be a 20 year project (Per a Trinity economist on NT this morning) before it starts to show any return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

topdecko wrote: »
    Charming... Current economic models demand good birth rate. Ireland in an envious position as regards other countries where birth rates are in freefall - Greece, Italy etc and they are banjaxed in terms of elderly care etc.
    Population density in Ireland ranks 39th in Europe and so we have some way to go before we can complain about too many people here.
    your statement is pretty shocking tbh - we don't need another thread derailed by pointless racism.

There was not a hint of racism in my post. I queried whether it is wise to continue bumping the population up. We may have grown up in a time of plenty, but easy access to resources in the future, fuel, metals, water and food might be more limited. So why go and try to boost the population on this small island.
    Also yes worthless couples or individuals having 3+ children each does nothing but add more dependents for scarce resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wouldn't it be nice if governments started to take the sensible approach and tried to limit population growth in every country? The world cannot handle the amount of people we currently have, and we in the rich countries are the ones who consume the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Do you have to bring in dressed up xenophobic ****e into this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Hamachi

beerguts wrote: »
    Also yes worthless couples or individuals having 3+ children each does nothing but add more dependents for scarce resources.

What’s a ‘worthless’ couple or child? I’ve never met one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mimon wrote: »
    Do you have to bring in dressed up xenophobic ****e into this thread?

No xenophobia or racism or any other -ism/-ic/-ist there at all in fairness to him/her.

We do have a big problem with Welfare in this country where 50% of the population receive some sort of payment, too many have never worked or are engaged in welfare fraud, and a significant portion of new arrivals from certain countries immediately become a further drain on the system and thus the taxpayer.

Acknowledging reality and calling out these things is not -ist/-ism no matter how much some may try to dismiss these uncomfortable truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Everyone with a child gets a welfare payment no matter how rich you are though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Our population was 4,977,400* in April '20, so we're well over 5m now. Probably happened around last October.

*source: CSO.IE

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭pauly58

When we moved here in 1986 the population was supposed to be 3.5 million with around 1 million of those in Dublin. The health system wasn't all that but better than it is now, housing wasn't the problem it is now.
    Sure we have underpopulated areas, like Cavan, Mayo etc. but most people are in the towns & suburbs , the traffic in Cork city is getting worse, with jams at the Kinsale Road roundabout backing up to ring road, & as for Dublin less said.
    Most of our problems are down to just too many people, we seem to be making the same mistakes as the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No xenophobia or racism or any other -ism/-ic/-ist there at all in fairness to him/her.

We do have a big problem with Welfare in this country where 50% of the population receive some sort of payment, too many have never worked or are engaged in welfare fraud, and a significant portion of new arrivals from certain countries immediately become a further drain on the system and thus the taxpayer.

Acknowledging reality and calling out these things is not -ist/-ism no matter how much some may try to dismiss these uncomfortable truths.

Agree with your well framed point, his was just xenophobic rhetoric.

• Advertisement

pauly58 wrote: »
    Most of our problems are down to just too many people, we seem to be making the same mistakes as the UK.

We don't have too many people, we have a lack of infrastructure and governments who are centred towards cities.

Advertisement