Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Seniors Championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    When you see how easily they run out of position, it really makes you (me) appreciate the precision of the top players.

They make it look so easy!

That's been one of my big takeaways from this. It's mesmerising.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think Patsy is great. Especially in with Dennis and JV.

Maybe not on the main tour, but great for the likes of this.

He reminds me of Brian Kerr, wouldn't be a huge fan of his commentary either.

Having said that, there's a lot worse out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

When you see how easily they run out of position, it really makes you (me) appreciate the precision of the top players.

They make it look so easy!

Yeah I thought that myself after watching the regular tour you realise how consistent those lads are.
    Slight loss of position, small bit of side here and there and it looks like 'human mortal' snooker.

Really fine margins on those tables.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

That's been one of my big takeaways from this. It's mesmerising.

It like watching club stuff not to mean that in a disapringing way. But I mean levels down from the top pro level - means more mistakes more drama. More nerves.
    I really am enjoying it, you don't know what is going to happen next.

He reminds me of Brian Kerr, wouldn't be a huge fan of his commentary either.

Having said that, there's a lot worse out there!

I have a soft spot for Brian Kerr great humour very knowledgeable. If Patsy started coming out with his own phrases and quirky ways of looking at things. That would be me completely sold.

• Advertisement

After me saying 'Good Man Igor' he missed a black nearly over the pocket.
    Part of me is worried that put him off and I feel guilty.

'One of the best rest players in the world for the last 40 years' - (Patsy building up Jimmy on a rest shot)

Jimmy then badly misses with rest.

Jimmy with the victory at 4-1 score line.

Igor seemed very nervous, Virgo/Fagan are claiming that White won because of his safety.

I am not so sure Jimmy gave Igor plenty of chances.

'One of the best rest players in the world for the last 40 years' - (Patsy building up Jimmy on a rest shot)

Jimmy then badly misses with rest.

:D

I was the biggest Jimmy fan in the whole world back in the day (always have a soft spot for lefties, being one myself), great seeing him play again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Big difference for igor today with a world final on the line, just so little experience of these occasions. Shame. A regular tour player like Lilley should be beating an amateur like Wallace but Lilley has to cope with the nerves too so paddy definitely has a chance.

• Advertisement

Big difference for igor today with a world final on the line, just so little experience of these occasions. Shame. A regular tour player like Lilley should be beating an amateur like Wallace but Lilley has to cope with the nerves too so paddy definitely has a chance.

Whoever plays against Jimmy in the final I would like to win it.
    I like the enthusiasm levels of Wallace and Lilly and they seem like genuine lads.

True, Jimmy etc give the competition a bit of profile. But it would be nice to see a non-household name win it.

I think I Wallace could win this seems to handle the nerves a bit better than Lilley?
    It might only be my perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Does Virgo every say anything that is not a cliche....inch perfect, chance went a begging, would you belive it, he just can't belive it, the ball just stayed out, missed opportunity, this is a massive frame, he'll be breathing a sign of relief, it doesn't matter <unnecessary pause> about the green, now only 1 frame away from a place in the xxx, there is pressure now on every ball, it's decisiotn time, he cued it nicely, he needs to win xxx to turn this match around.

Although my all time favourite clince to hate in snoker is (not 'where's the cue ball going' - I'm okay with that) is 'that was top drawer'. Yeah like a natural connedton between the highest drawer in a chest of drawers to a top level snooker performance. The etimology of top drawer is the keeping of valuables (jewelary etc) in the top drawer of a bedroom cabinet. I blame Willie Throne for this being a popular expression in snooker cuz he'd use it for a single good shot no mind a good overall performance.

I think Wallace in overall terms of career is a slightly better player than Lilley but 2 or 3 years playing regularly on tour should really stand to Lilley. But in the end just come down to who handles occasion better i think, would definitely love to see Patrick win it out.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Does Virgo every say anything that is not a cliche....inch perfect, chance went a begging, would you belive it, he just can't belive it, the ball just stayed out, missed opportunity, this is a massive frame, he'll be breathing a sign of relief, it doesn't matter <unnecessary pause> about the green, now only 1 frame away from a place in the xxx, there is pressure now on every ball, it's decisiotn time, he cued it nicely, he needs to win xxx to turn this match around.

Nope rarely. Occasionally he comes out with odd good ancedote from the good old days though
    Although my all time favourite clince to hate in snoker is (not 'where's the cue ball going' - I'm okay with that) is 'that was top drawer'. Yeah like a natural connedton between the highest drawer in a chest of drawers to a top level snooker performance. The etimology of top drawer is the keeping of valuables (jewelary etc) in the top drawer of a bedroom cabinet. I blame Willie Throne for this being a popular expression in snooker cuz he'd use it for a single good shot no mind a good overall performance.

I blame Harry Redknapp and the likes of the soccer pundits for that. :D .

Willie was a good friend of Lineker so that is where he might have got it?

There was one thing WT used to do in commentary that I always remember.
    In light of his gambling problems it might be a bit unfortunate.

On air in commentary he quickly used to work out 'the odds' he thinks of a player winning the frame, or even getting the pot.

Jimmy off now to relax for the afternoon, probably have a little gander at the nags, while the two lads kill themselves here and the winner will probably have just about enough time for a quick scrub up and bite to eat before having to turn around for the final. Have to fancy jimmys chances quite strongly in the circumstances.

Jesus this game is cagey

1-1 Wallace and Liley

If there was a crowd there they would be getting great value - timewise.

Lilley 2-1 Wallace

Lilley nicked frame.

Liley 3-1 looking like a great chance for frame and match now.

Good frame winning break by Lilley wins 4-1

Delighted with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sorry, where can I watch the final live? I'm logged in on https://matchroom.live/sports/snooker but I don't see it.

• Advertisement

Lilley with the opening frame 70 plus break looks relaxed

Had to work hard for the break at times

Lilley 1- White 0

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭fran38

Sorry, where can I watch the final live? I'm logged in on https://matchroom.live/sports/snooker but I don't see it.

Cue sports network. I got it via Facebook

This Lilley fella is cueing very well!

What a great frame steal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It didn't look likely with the two reds, green and blue safe.

Great clearance from Lilley about a 50 break to steal the frame. Hitting the ball well. So is Jimmy in fairness.

Lilley 2 - White 0

Amazed how relaxed Lilley looks. Really contrasts to how rattled he looked when he played Ken. He did his best to help Ken to win that one and fell over the line.

Has a swagger about him in this final though.

Easy 'in' third frame for Lilley around the black spot

He's calmed down anyway. Nice opening to this frame.

I was looking forward to seeing how he was gonna open the reds and continue it. Windy.

What a pot!!!

• Advertisement

You wouldnt have thought this was the same guy interviewed last night who talked about playing rubbish, tip problems, his history of losing big amateur finals and a dozen other negative thoughts swirling around his head. Dunno who he's been talking to, but has looked a proper tour player today. Hope he can finish the job, would be massive for him.

Advertisement