Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Eurovision SURLAW [Reveal: 21st May, 8pm]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

11 entries in already with 10 days left to go and we now have only 5 countries on nil points. Very exciting at the top of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I shall get an entry in today at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In too.
    There were 2 songs that made a great impression from the beginning and they never moved from the top-2.

Thank you for organising Molly, really looking forward to the reveal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am hoping to listen to remaining ones today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

chosen my top ones just have to order the ppints especially the douze ..hopefully today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Suddenly worried I'll want to change my votes when I see the live staging :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Listening to these now. Flo Rida randomly appearing in one of the songs was a highlight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

ShaneU wrote: »
    Listening to these now. Flo Rida randomly appearing in one of the songs was a highlight

I'm a Flo Rida fan so was delighted. Not a winner I think though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I'm a Flo Rida fan so was delighted. Not a winner I think though.

It probably won't win but could end up being San Marinos best result, they usually do quite bad at eurovision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Sawduck wrote: »
    It probably won't win but could end up being San Marinos best result, they usually do quite bad at eurovision

I know, deservedly so. Kinda liked Serhat's offering in 2019 though.:pac::pac:

Semi Final 1 on tonight folks. A chance for any stragglers to have a look at the first batch of songs and make a decision.
    I'll also take any revised scores that anyone wants to submit too.

Entries still accepted until Thursday night. I'll leave it open till after the second semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Semi Final 1 on tonight folks. A chance for any stragglers to have a look at the first batch of songs and make a decision.

Entries still accepted until Thursday night. I'll leave it open till after the second semi final.

Apologies Molly have it in later tonight. Not going to watch semi...sticking with my chosen I just have to order

My opinions on the songs have changed so much, my top two haven't changed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've been listening to all these songs for a couple of weeks non-stop and after the first semi I'm swapping out one of my songs.

I've been listening to all these songs for a couple of weeks non-stop and after the first semi I'm swapping out one of my songs.

I want to swap out 2 but think I'll wait until semi final 2 because my opinions will probably change again

• Advertisement

And of course it goes without saying that it doesn't matter if your favourite song didn't make it through the semi finals, this is a judgement for all songs in the competition, regardless of what the actual contest comes out with.

Coz that Ukrainian song is like dragging forks down my brain every time I hear it. I don't know how it made it through!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mollyb60 wrote:
    Coz that Ukrainian song is like dragging forks down my brain every time I hear it. I don't know how it made it through!

I feel like if people didn't vote for it the singer might actually kill you in your sleep last night though :pac:

Ukraine song is class

Sweden was terrible, surprised it got through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Anyone who doesn't enjoy the Ukranian song must be dead inside... Its brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Ukraine song is class

Sweden was terrible, surprised it got through

I agree. Can't believe Croatia didn't get through!

• Advertisement

I preferred Cyprus. I honestly can't remember why... :P

Necro wrote: »
    I preferred Cyprus. I honestly can't remember why... :P

Well the sparkly number (or lack there of ;)) aside, I thought she really sang well live, whereas some of them did not hold up to their studio vocals.

And separately, Ukraine OMG I don't understand how anyone can actually listen to that without being driven to murder, possibly my least favorite song in the whole competition! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ari101 wrote: »
    Ukraine OMG I don't understand how anyone can actually listen to that without being driven to murder, possibly my least favorite song in the whole competition! :pac:

I think that says more about you if you'd be driven to murder so easily, than it does anyone who recognises greatness when they hear it...

On an semi-related note, you should host a Walrus ari, I think you'd enjoy it and make a good host.

ari101 wrote: »
    Well the sparkly number (or lack there of ;)) aside, I thought she really sang well live, whereas some of them did not hold up to their studio vocals.

And separately, Ukraine OMG I don't understand how anyone can actually listen to that without being driven to murder, possibly my least favorite song in the whole competition! :pac:

The staging and performance of Ukraine was great. Song less so!

The ONLY thing I will give to the Ukrainian song is that it seems to have been sung in a traditional style taught to her by her grandmother (according to Scott Mills anyway). So she'll get a point from me for that. But that still leaves them at -9,999 points.

Yeah, I'm with Mollyb60... Props to them for sentiment, tradition, staging etc. but none of it will get me past the sound unfortunately :D

I'll happily accept that says a lot about my crappy musical taste, especially if it means I never have to hear it again... :p Bathroom break on Saturday nights definitely sorted ;)

Not a fan of the Ukrainian song either, although I understand people liking it.

Based on the first semifinal, I would have reorganised my top-10 - at least one song would go up, and one down.

I didn't watch, how did Ireland do?

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST: The Story Of Fire Saga is on RTE1 tonight

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I didn't watch, how did Ireland do?

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST: The Story Of Fire Saga is on RTE1 tonight

Didn't qualify. I really liked the song but I thought the presentation/set-up was very confusing.

Irish Aris wrote:
    Didn't qualify. I really liked the song but I thought the presentation/set-up was very confusing.

Yes it was all a bit unnecessary. Vocals were a bit... off.. as well.

I actually watched that Eurovision movie last night. It was grand. One spot in it though almost gave me a complete brain seizure I was laughing so hard.

The portapotty... That is all :pac:

• Advertisement

We're up to 16 entries now so thanks everyone for playing along. We have an interesting top 10!

I won't change, I will stick with what I sent in

I'm changing. Just looked back over my entry, and have a song on there that I hated last night. Hope to get it submitted tomorrow Molly.

I rewatched Eurovision Fire and Saga on Netflix tonight. I love the Pitch Perfect riff off type scene with all the Eurovision royalty. And the cameo by Salvador Sobrol, that is such a beautiful song.

My revised list has been sent. I think Tuesday's semi final was stronger than tonight's.

Ooh we're all changing after tonight's semi final!!! I'll have to recalculate the scores in the morning and see how it falls!
    We'll kick off around 8pm tomorrow guys. Very excited!

I'm fairly happy with my original selections. If I was to re-do it it wouldn't be too different. A couple in, couple out and a couple of positional changes.

Ooh we're all changing after tonight's semi final!!! I'll have to recalculate the scores in the morning and see how it falls!
    We'll kick off around 8pm tomorrow guys. Very excited!

I had to change, I was thinking about doing it after the first semi but said I would wait till I heard most live :D

Yeah I have to change one or two after watching them live

Get your changes in before midnight folks!

• Advertisement

Clearly I have some strange taste in music... :D

Slightly revised votes sent in :)

Didn't watch either of the Semis (never do, I only ever tune in for the final) so won't be changing any of my choices, even if they were butchered when performed live because I'm none the wiser if they did.

Why are people revising lists? they're the same songs :D

The French song is very Edith Piaf one of my favourites for sure.

Some grow on you in a good way, and some grow in the nasty way a fungus does ;)

ShaneU wrote:
    Why are people revising lists? they're the same songs

Well there was one I really thought I liked from the studio version but the live performance was an absolute mess for example. Then others improved a bit from their studio versions.

Actually really enjoyed the semi finals, I hadn't watched any of the Eurovision live in a few years tbh.

• Advertisement

I'm actually of the same opinion, I was judging the songs and not the performances. But I was happy to allow revisions. Everyone can decide themselves how best to judge the songs. There's an awful lot there that I would've given extra points to (and did for our household Eurovision contest) because their staging made the song better.

But all the votes have been cast, the time is up. So [presenter voice]BOARDS! PLEASE STOP VOTING! [presenter voice]

Join us for the big reveal later on tonight at 8pm. :D:D:D

T-minus 8 hours.

T-minus 59 minutes.

Really looking forward to this actually

I'm just in rehearsals warming up the vocal chords now

Necro wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this actually

I'm just in rehearsals warming up the vocal chords now

We were robbed that year... Dustin shoulda won it! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement