Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Good to see you're enjoying your holiday.

I honestly think people like you will miss the pandemic. NPHET and ISAG keep yous going constantly crying. Such hyperbolic nonsense, you get off on it.

Children are unvaccinated makes your blood boil..Jesus Christ. How do you get through the day if a basic fact makes you lose your head.

Holy Jesus. And they said herd immunity is around 85% with the delta variant but I'm sure if we went back to when Delta was first mentioned your sort would have said oh more scare mongering variants don't matter. I guess they do. They will vaccinate 16 and 17 years old. And vulnerable 12 to 15 year olds. Parents consent will be needed so it won't be your children therefore none of your business if others decide to.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday ISAG you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think he just comments on hospital numbers, like Reid. Our takeup profile for vaccines may also be a factor and so far we don't have any issues with hesitation nor a slowdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭bloopy

In addition to the massive chasm which is being created in society. There are some divisions happening now which will never heal.

There are also some people gone down a very coercive and authoritarian road in their belief system, such is their fear.

People may be very irate about next week but if it is only a 4-6 week measure then that will subside especially as we get to very high vaccination numbers.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

We have had a very strong history up to very recent times of coercive and authoritarian leadership (church). True freedom is not something we are used of, it still makes us uncomfortable and the majority of the population still prefer someone in power to just tell them what to do. This is the main reason why there has been massive compliance to the restrictions, even the crazy ones which had no impact on spread of the virus.

• Advertisement

Brendan O’Connor trying his best to talk down the vaccines.making out that the public are losing faith in them.disgrace as usual from Pravda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭bloopy

It is not necessarily anger towards the new legislation which concerns me as I expected it (although some who are against it have gone down a different, equally dangerous road into the conspiracy rabbit hole).

At the moment it is the opinions over what should be done to anyone who does not comply which I find very concerning.

There is a thread over on reddit Ireland with a large amount of comments which demonstrates the anger and hate which is building in some people. Some of the opinions expressed in it are just downright scary.

Luckily, so far, such opinions appear to be relatively rare in real life.

If they start to take hold in the real world, we may be in for a bumpy ride over the next few months.

I will add that the hyper-dramatic reporting from RTE and the rest is not helping in the least. Everyone is worried about radicalization in people who have gone down the conspiracy route but are ignoring an equally dangerous radicalization in those who have allowed fear of the virus to consume them totally.

We all need to calm down a bit I think before we do further serious damage to our society.

Edit: Reading some of the comments on the Journal (I know, I know), this has become a superiority thing for some people. It does not even seem like they support it for health reasons, just as long as they have someone to look down on and hate. There is a strange pleasurable spite thing going on in some of the comments.

Post edited by bloopy on

Paul Reid on hospitals and vaccinations, we've hit that 82% target with 6 days to go. Should be 85%+ and over 70% by week's end. ICU still low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

The virus is more or less irrelevant to most people now but the long term damage on the mental health of many will remain for the long term unfortunately. We had a party here last night for friends with 17 people and it was absolutely fantastic to see people we hadn't seen in ages here enjoying life everyone vaccinated and not a care in the world, however we had one couple we invited who my wife is friends with in their late 40's tell us we should be ashamed of ourselves for holding a party and "hoping we didn't take ICU beds off people wo would really need them in the coming weeks"

These folk may never be the same again and they exactly the kind of people RTE and the media in general have targeted with fear and relentless propaganda for ages now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Stop trying to make this out to be some sort of morality or discrimination issue. If the anti-vaxxers want to be carriers of a disease which is potentially deadly to people (even when vaccinated), and want to be part of a a small anti-science minority, they are going to find society (society) a hostile place - they've been indulged for too long. You mention "superiority" and frankly I think it's the other way around - all the talk about "sheeple" and "wake up people!" as if we are all morons because we don't believe the conspiracy theories. The Irish people have been absolutely magnificent throughout this, from adhering to restrictions to getting vaccinated, and that's the Ireland I know - not the Walter Mittys wrapped in tricolours repeating talking points from Fox news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

We seem to have skipped a portion of time and are talking about anyone not yet vaccinated as anti-vax? We’re still 8 weeks at least from everyone who wants a vaccine being fully vaccinated I’d imagine.

I’m waiting on a second dose of AZ myself mid august. Won’t be fully vaxxed till start of September.

The whiff of superiority and judgment I’m noticing off some people (both here and IRL) who just happened to be nearer the front of the queue when vaccines were being handed out is frankly sickening. And anyone who thinks this is a temporary measure of less than 3 months is deluded.

I’ve very mixed feelings on the vaccine pass. We could have opened hospitality up months ago with it and included a negative test element. Far less discriminatory and would have made a more pleasant summer for everyone. This lastminute.com u-turn just feels laboured and desperate. But that’s been par for the course since last year. So don’t know why I’m surprised.

Hope the weather holds. So this perfectly healthy 40 something can sit outside with her cake and coffee with the rest of the great unwashed.

The poster previous to mine is talking about discrimination against people who "don't comply".

We have had "discrimination" throughout this pandemic, everyone is trying to do their best to keep society and the economy functioning as best they can. A few weeks of not being allowed into a pub or restaurant isn't going to kill anyone, and will allow those businesses to at least try and survive. There's also an awful lot of vaccinated people (particularly older people) who may have concerns about how robust their protection is who would feel they are discriminated against if unvaccinated were allowed indoors, and would feel they couldn't safely enter those premises.

If we really wanted to avoid "discrimination" we'd have forced every business to close from the start of this, forced everyone onto PUP, and because there are people who will remain vulnerable even after vaccinations to avoid discrimination against them we will have to retain all restrictions. As it is there are a relatively large group of people in society who are immune-suppressed who are still effectively restricting their movements, and yet no-one seems to be talking about how we are "discriminating" against them by effectively moving to a strategy of allowing the virus to spread through the population.

2000 people at the anti vaxx-passport protesr yesterday....a very good turnout protest wise in ireland,irregardless whether you agree or not with its objectives

But absolutely dewarfed by the 62K whom were quielty vaxxinated though......

until everyone who wants a vaxxine for them or their kids has gotten it,i couldnt even dream on sympathising for these protests though

There is a fairly legitimate question about just how far and for how long far public health measures can be pushed and many are utterly discriminatory. Part of the overall concern here is the total acquiescence of the political classes and how open-ended many of these measures still look.

This green pass is just the latest and far more wide-ranging than other rules. Some would argue it is coercive and that certainly is the case in other countries. Its purpose though is just to permit hospitality to have some level of economic activity and is not part of a plan out of this. At some point we will need a functioning government and not one that lets NPHET constantly make decisions for us.

This "discrimination" angle is manufactured. We have always had laws, and we have always had public health laws. You have to wear a seatbelt, it's not "discrimination". Restaurants have to have certain food safety standards, it's not "discrimination". You can't force your children to work in the mines, it's not "discrimination".

It's a completely fake narrative. We regularly implement laws which restrict "freedoms" (e.g. speed limits on roads outside schools), because they are for the benefit of society. We elect governments to make those decisions, and they can be challenged in the courts who are the ultimate upholders of the Constitution. If anyone wants to take a case to the Supreme court, there is nothing stopping them. I expect however they will be laughed out of court if they challenge decisions made on public health grounds.

Good point made by an earlier poster that the 2k at the protests were dwarfed by the 62k who got vaccinated, yet all the media attention is on the first group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its terrible that some people still come out with stuff like that. Will be very hard to steer them back to normality if that is still their mindset now after 17 months, with far greater understanding of the virus, improved hospital care and close on 70% of adults fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

If you’re a 40 something year old, you could’ve been fully vaxxed by now. Was it the talk of vaccine passports for restaurants that prompted you to take the vaccine?

I do get your point. But all of those laws you mention apply to everyone. Equally. No exceptions.

Everyone has to wear a seatbelt for safety. Everyone has to stick to the speed limit. And the rules make sense.

The vaccine pass or whatever we end up calling doesn’t really have a direct comparison. And it changes depending on your age. An under 18 is okay as long as accompanied by an adult. But a 19 year old is not ?

I could produce a negative test and be a safer prospect for eating inside than an vaccinated adult who could potentially be positive for COVID.

It may not be discrimination in its purest form. But it sure as hell feels like it.

• Advertisement

I see you ignored most of what I said in a favour of another sermon on the meaning of discrimination. The completely patched up nature of this approach says all there is about a plan.

Hospitality are now expected to enforce a law that prevents them serving those who could consider themselves their customers. Spoke to a publican last week, he'll be pleased now it's happening, but knowing his customers he said he will be unlikely to push this too hard. There are also, according to their representative body, up to 25% passing on this approach and will wait for at least six more weeks. Let's not forget too that this measure is off the back of a set of models that are probably already wrong seeing as we didn't open on July 5th yet NPEHT seem of no mind to even look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There are exemptions to wearing a seatbelt:

Exemptions from the requirement to wear seat belts

You do not need to wear a seat belt if you:

• Are wearing a disabled person’s belt
    • Have a medical certificate signed by a qualified medical practitioner stating it is inadvisable on medical grounds you wear a safety belt or child restraint
    • Are teaching someone else how to drive (although going without a safety belt may not be advisable)
    • Are a driving test examiner conducting a driving test
    • Are a member of An Garda Síochána or the Defence Forces and are driving as part of your duties

Imagine that, a medical certificate exempts someone from wearing a seatbelt.

First dose of AZ was 9 weeks ago. Getting done through work. You’re right i could be fully vaxed a week ago if I’d been picky and held out for Pfizer instead via the HSE. Advice at the time was to take the first vaccine I was offered though.

The fine for not wearing a seatbelt is what? €60.00 and if you crash you can kill others in the car too. the fine for not having your green pass whilst dining inside is €2000.00,

tell me where's the logic or proportionality there please? also explain how non vaccinated folks sit outside while non vaccinated kids go indoors?

you cherry picking like a fruit vender there, and you are correct, we do elect governments as is the norm in a democracy. I didn't elect them so they could strip that very democracy from me via a proxy halfwit who's so deep in controversy after controversy that you cannot mention them on boards or you'll get a ban!!!

would you see measures applying to shopping? the cinema? the gym? as being ok too then?

The "patched up nature of this approach" was because we failed to plan for this, even though the idea of a vaccine pass was something many of us thought would be inevitable. But no, Ireland was special and we weren't going to discriminate, and of course we were going to throw open indoor locations to everyone.

If we had less moralising a few months ago and a bit more reality we'd have had a more robust plan.

I heard a publican earlier saying that many of her elderly customers were asking whether she would be enforcing the vaccination requirements - as otherwise they wouldn't be comfortable entering the pub. It's not all one-way traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

The only failure was by a weak assed government who were afraid to stand up to nphet or more importantly the cmo and run with antigen testing in parallel with vaccine passports to allow citizens return to normality. 'We' the citizens haven't failed at anything, if anything, we've kept our part of the deal at every step from adhering to lockdowns to an excellent vaccine uptake.

I don't think the thought process in government nor NPHET got past Christmas as a predicted outcome. That in conjunction with a set of numbers that still look completely unreal has brought about this measure. I had no great enthusiasm for the whole inquiry into NPHET for most of this, but their behaviour this year does warrant a lot of questions, especially how we've hitched ourselves to the British "plan".

I'm actually a fan of moralising myself as it makes you consider the importance of can V should and what that says about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I’m sure I’ve been reading here that they’ve shortened AZ to 4 weeks. Perhaps you could call up to enquire if you could get an earlier appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are people calling anyone not vaccinated anti-vax? I thought (though I may well have missed stuff, especially on this poxy new site), that people were levelling the anti-vax accusations against people like yesterday's "I don't need a vaccine, I have an immune system", "I don't need a vaccine, the blood of Jesus runs through my veins", "I identify as vaccinated", "The government is adding fluoride to the water to make the population more docile" (allegedly the masks also reduce oxygen flow and make you more docile), "If you take vitamins, you don't need a vaccine", "The government are trying to take out children" slogan-bearers etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Maybe move to the shade as sounds your having a heatstroke there.

There's loonies on both sides when it comes to reasoning, if it was to some following same logic we would be banning sugar cars and everything that increase risk for illness or death as a greater good.

Advertisement