Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,962 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Outdoor dining won't work for November/December esp with the usual festive season cheer (which will be doubled given last year's mess)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ah yeah come then it's definitely not a runner.

My view on it is everywhere can make their own minds up what they want to do but even in the next few weeks if / when the weather changes they might not have much choice but to go along with it. It could be either that or not open for business

• Registered Users Posts: 37,962 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Suppose you never know places might invest in more heaters and such

Let's hope we're not a stage theb where it's only outdoor service allowed. In that event you could almost see the authorities want full close of Hospitality

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They're sacrificing their business for an increasingly small pool of unvaccinated, soon to be the hardcore only. The vaccine restrictions indoors aren't going away any time soon as the hoped for herd immunity cannot be reached thanks to the infectiousness of Delta.

The businesses getting up on their high horse about this better have a plan to get down if they want their businesses to survive. I like those saying they won't reopen because their staff have not been vaccinated yet, they have provided themselves an "out", but any staying closed because of "discrimination" will be marching back down that hill before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Yeah, I've heard that 2nd dose Pfizer is bad alright. I have been waiting for the J&J to come back in stock, don't want to have to lay low for a day or two because of a reaction to Pfizer, but luckily have received an appointment for J&J in the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

As a somewhat related point, I really hope pubs fully ban smoking on the premises since outdoor drinking and dining is such an established thing at this point. It's absolutely disgusting to be seated near some filthy smoker while trying to enjoy dinner and drinks in this lovely weather. This post-covid reopening is a great chance for the knee to be further pressed onto the neck of the tobacco industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Different people have different reactions. Myself, my wife and a few friends had Pfizer and had nothing more than a sore arm for a day after both shots. My daughter had J&J and was laid up in bed for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭bennyl10

RAI tweeting This evening that you will NOT need the Covid feet for indoor and the vaccination card will be sufficient as per Failte ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah just had a quick flick through the document and it has a provision for the HSE card, also says you may be asked for ID, not that you will be asked for ID. Sounds very much like any trip to the pub , you may be asked for ID but in reality you won't be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If I owned a pub and had staff that weren't vaccinated I sure as hell would hope I'd be hesitant at least. We're being told it isn't safe for them to be on the premises eating/drinking there for a shorter time period than a work shift and with way less interaction with other people. The safety and wellbeing of your staff should come before profits in an ideal world. Heck even if you don't agree with their evaluation of the situation, as a society we should applaud businesses who have a conscience. The idea of mocking ANY business that sacrifices profits to protect their staff seems ludicrous to me tbh.

Likewise any bar that feels the current situation as of today is indirect age discrimination should be able to put that forward as a legitimate concern to keep indoors closed for now. That may be different in 6-8 weeks when any 18 year old that wants it can be fully vaccinated. This one though is more up for debate I feel, but not the former situation..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Would a staff member be sitting beside a vaccinated customer while the staff member has their mask removed?

This is a workplace, for over a year now retail staff have had to deal with the same risk, shall we get all customers to shops remove their mask in order to shop? Would retail staff feel safer then? Or shall we close retail instead? Restaurant customers cannot be customers without removing their mask or eating/drinking outside.

Business can sacrifice their profit's and let their staff earn a living by following the guidelines, providing the best PPE possible etc...

I've heard of some pub's saying they won't reopen indoor dining until all their staff are vaccinated. It's a fair idea (wasn't an issue pre Delta), however, if a few staff members don't get vaccinated, is that pub going to stay closed or fire the unvaccinated staff? I'd guarantee if there was no vaccine passport, the same pub would reopen in a heartbeat, it's just an excuse to use for fear of bad press etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The comparison to retail seems a bit off. If you work in retail unvaccinated you can shop there off duty. And sure sitting with up to 5 friends/family without a mask on for a couple of hours might be more of a risk than interacting with a lot of strangers while you wear a mask, some of them if under 18 unvaccinated, for 8 ish hours, but it seems fair to argue that that isn't clear and obvious. This isn't mask versus no mask while using that freedom to lick everyone in arms reach.

As for the bars that want to wait until staff are vaccinated, none that I saw are saying they are waiting for all staff to be fully vaccinated, but rather to have the opportunity to be. If they're saying the same in mid September it would come across a bit different I agree.

I don't see the bad press argument. Most people seem to think that this is better than keeping indoor dining closed so if they were playing favourtism I doubt this would be the route. Hell check out panti bar's most recent review on trip advisor abusing them over not opening.

I actually found the Pantibar owner's statement a bit ironic with the stigma given to HIV and gay men back in the 80s. Not sure if it is a case of payback to society or holding a grudge of some sort on behalf of the owner. In fact, I would ask him why stop at covid and why not in fact ask patrons and staff to show HIV status before entering the bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Do you actually believe this? I have every respect for people but you are bordering on the ludicrous now and dare I say it, trolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

TBH they are probably not scrificing anything. The guidelines released last night might work for larger pubs but will be too costly to enforce for smaller places - especially rural pubs. It would be easier to just continue with outdoor and not bother with indoor drinking with extremely limited space.

The two pubs where I am will only open for outdoor only from monday. Not because of concerns about vaccinated staff, nor for equality ideals - simply because these dumb**** rules are two expensive to put into operation for a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

how is England a basket case?

Seriously,are we that petrified of normality?

I thought the goal was normality when the vulnerable were vaccinated?

I’ve said it before,the mental damage and indoctrination of risk aversion in Ireland will take generations to cure

stadium's were packed in Europe 2 months ago, 500 fans will be at an AI quarter final in Thurles today and we will give indoor dining a try next week

in a way when compared to Europe Ireland never fully left lockdown so it’s hard to go back into lockdown when you didn’t fully reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

It seems there are a lot of people praying that the uk fails in what they are doing.

Not sure why as, if they are successful, it shows everyone else a way out of this mess.

The risk aversion for the covid pandemic seems quite unique though, almost completely devoid of common sense.

Everytime we get a few days of hot weather young people die by drowning. Always. Hot weather is actually more dangerous than snow. Therefore it makes sense that during hot weather all beaches, lakes, rivers and quarries should be locked down. It's only a few days of the year and it will stop the tragic loss of young healthy lives.

We won't do that though because people have to look out for themselves. That logic doesn't seem to apply with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭prunudo

I've a mate who scoffs at the idea of owing a motorbike yet is happy to boost about how he hit 75kph down a hill on a racer in lycra and doesn't see an issue with it. At least on the motorbike you've got leathers and a full face helmet.

Everyone measures risk differently but it seems when it comes to covid there is a large percentage who, even when vaccinated still can't bring themselves to start living life again. Very odd behaviours and yet these people are the ones who and driving the contuined level of restrictions on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭brickster69

Because if they have done it right and succeed then it means everyone else fu##ed up, to some that would be a bigger disaster than Covid itself.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement

There is an architect on Brendan O Connor talking about the perils of indoor dining. An architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's Orla Hegarty. She has been rolled out quite a bit lately. She's also banging on about the return of schools. The fact these people get airtime is mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Generally speaking, based on evidence, that's just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yeah man, I've called all the lockdowns even when people said it was impossible, and I'm probably the person who wants the country to open up the most. I want to return to Ireland and the visa process is a nightmare at the moment, I'm looking at the cases in Ireland and they're getting worse, we could be hitting 2k in a fortnight, at this rate the country will never open up and I need to get back asap to a safe country. Not something out of the walking dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I had no reaction from the second Pfizer jab except a sore arm. The first jab my arm was sore for a few days and I had headaches for about 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Indeed - all depends on the person. I found the first dose was a bit worse (but not bad) in terms of feeling I had a slight cold and a sore arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I think we can anticipate that lots of rich people and establishments will invest in redesigns for outdoor dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Christ! Well ISAG ever just fûck off!

how about Brendan gets a reporter down to West Cork and ask how’s the vaccine rollout going!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So you want Ireland to go back in to lockdown to accommodate you for your safe passage return?

On your bike….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't want a lockdown, I just feel it's inevitable

Advertisement