Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

a lot of people working on tills are sick as dogs, would have been a great idea to keep them, they still have them in my local pharmacy

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Spiderman0081

There is, I’m surprised you missed the news about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Which doesn't stop people from catching it or from getting sick from it. And most people haven't had a vaccine since 2021/2022.

• Advertisement

I really shouldn’t have to explain how this vaccine works. “All COVID-19 vaccines reduce your risk of getting COVID-19 and protect you from serious complications of the illness”

Also most people don’t get the flu jab either. I don’t think that’s wise. But if you don’t want either that’s fine by me. Just the next time you are sick maybe make an effort not to get others sick.

You can still get covid and the immunity from the vaccine wanes. Majority of the population haven't been vaccinated since 2021/2022.

I’m aware that the effectiveness of the vaccine wanes, that’s why I got the booster along with my flu shot.

• Advertisement

Sorry, i thought you were actually trying to be funny.

You're putting a lot of faith in those vaccines. Some people have caught covid weeks after getting the booster shot.

Interesting watch.

The best way to prevent long covid is prevent getting infected.

Thankfully, there is a very effective vaccine to help with prevention!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭jackboy

It depends what you mean. The vast majority who spend significant time in public get infected with variants over and over again. This is true whether vaccinated or not.

The vaccine reduces severity, so in that way can prevent long covid. The vaccines effectiveness against transmission is not enough to have a significant impact once a variant is established in a population, not without a level 5 lockdown anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

This new study from Austria looks at effectiveness of boosters on people who have had covid-19, which at this point must be pretty much everybody.

„Effectiveness of a fourth SARS-CoV-2 vaccine dose in previously infected individuals from Austria”.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eci.14136

Even though this study is observational and biased by design towards a healthy vaccine effect (better underlying health of a cohort who gets the boosters) it found that the boosters do not reduce covid-19 deaths in people who already had covid-19. It also found that while it lowers the risk of testing positive for a very short period, this effect wanes quickly and reverses, so that one is more likely to get sick with covid. More shots - more chances to catch covid again in the long term.

Authors conclude: Similarly, data from Qatar suggest that natural immunity confers a very strong protection against severe COVID-19 with no evidence of waning immunity, a conclusion that is supported by a systematic re-view and meta-analyses”

What all this most likely means is the obvious: once you have COVID, you have natural and long lasting immunity against severe outcomes, and further boosters are illogical.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,177 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some questionable claims being made here although the study notes many caveats.

For example:

"We observed a 21% lower all-cause mortality risk in individuals with four versus three vaccine doses (37% when we excluded nursing home residents)."

It seems a stretch to assign all of that to healthy participant bias. It seems plausible to me that not all covid deaths are being classed as such and the vaccine offers some extra time limited protection against long covid which would manifest in later non covid tested death.

The Qatar study ran for up to 14 months.

This pandemic has been running for a lot longer than that. To state on that basis it is illogical to consider protection may need to be boosted is dubious - if say the infection happened back in 2020. The last sentence in the post is entirely your own invention and the study authors do not state or support such a claim

But they are your experts here noting the benefits of vaccination entirely discredited some of your anti vax posts on this forum.

"This does not contradict the health benefit of the initial vaccinations of unprotected populations in the early phase of the COVID-19-pandemic and of vaccinations of very high-risk populations at any time more consideration should be given to previous infection if considering a booster."

And to get infected you have to run risks of said infection. Not everyone has had covid.

Seeing as you have cited the study and quoted the reference to the Qatar study, I ask you if you agree with this finding:

"This pattern also mirrors that of vaccine immunity, which wanes rapidly against infection, but is durable against severe COVID-19, regardless of variant."

They are your chosen experts and they refute the anti vax lie bout the vaccines not being effective.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Interesting revelation on what the big pharma firm Moderna have been doing to shape the public discourse around its marquee product – Covid-19 mRNA vaccine.

With its profits evaporating (3.6 billion loss in Q3 FY 2023 as most Americans refused another booster), Moderna pushes back aggressively against any dissent to the prevailing narrative of ‘safe and effective’. “Moderna’s disinformation arm is perpetuating the public discourse wars that have been raging since early in the pandemic, aimed at shutting down anything that might undermine COVID-19-related policies, including lockdowns and efforts to encourage mass vaccinations.” Moderna use AI to “to monitor vaccine-related conversations across 150 million websites in nearly 200 countries.” That most likely also includes boards.ie.

The claims detected “are automatically deemed “misinformation” if they encourage vaccine hesitancy.”

Not surprisingly Moderna still claims that “It really is a vaccine that's relevant across all age groups”. It must be for their profits. It is a laughable statement if it concerns public health though.

An interesting read.

Part 1: https://www.leefang.com/p/moderna-is-spying-on-you

Part 2: https://www.leefang.com/p/moderna-surveillance-operation-targeted

With such a powerful and systemic things at play no one should wonder why a proper balanced discourse about the Covid-19 related matters has been so difficult to achieve. 

• Advertisement

You're trying to spin an anti-vax narrative by citing papers which state among other things:

"This does not contradict the health benefit of the initial vaccinations of unprotected populations in the early phase of the COVID-19-pandemic and of vaccinations of very high-risk populations at any time more consideration should be given to previous infection if considering a booster."

This was pointed out to you, and you had no reply. Proof positive you are not here to have a proper balanced discourse, which would demand acknowledgement of the abundant evidence of the safety and effectiveness of vaccines.

The vaccines are safe and effective, and all you have to the contrary is misinformation, disinformation and cherry picking of data from reports which are clear and unambiguous that the vaccines have been beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

How many studies is that now which is showing the more vaccines = the more likely to be infected with COVID? This must be the 4th or 5th at this stage. Luckily most people have stopped getting boosters so the effect will be negligible in the population but I've noticed that those who are on their 5th or more mRNA shot seem to always be catching COVID, usually not long after their latest dose. Oh well , their choice.

Maybe they were beneficial in the early stages, but now? Seems like there's absolutely no need for anyone to be getting them anymore if they've already been infected or had the initial series, or if they aren't extremely vulnerable.

If people have stopped engaging with the booster programme, it is plausible they have stopped engaging bothering to get tested. It's a non zero figure.

Then if you factor in the people most likely to get boosters are either in health care or at an age\condition where they are likely to have interactions with healthcare and test... it is a plausible explanation for such discrepancies.

We all know people going around with a 'cold' or a 'cough' that is actually covid but they will never test themselves. That distorts any figures on infections.

The boosters do have diminishing returns, and timing it right to coincide with spikes in the virus would be most beneficial - rather than say rolling them out in June.

I do think if someone has been infected, the gap between when you are recommended for vaccination needs to be looked at. I think they are still working from some old analysis.

In this study:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37662950/

conducted on an immunity of high risk cohort after 5 jabs the scientists studied the response of T-cells, so this sort of immunity that is supposed to last for many months and protect from severe covid and death. The fact that humoral immunity after mRNA vaccine wanes fast is a known fact at this stage, so it is interesting to look into the cellular response.

Only about 50% of people had their cellular immunity 3 months after the fifth dose. Even in a healthy cohort this number, quoted from other studies, was only 64% after 3 doses.

T-cell overstimulation and exhaustion?

Is that even peer reviewed? We all know how unreliable such pieces are.

It protects against severe covid for long duration and this is well established. Even by experts you have cited on the thread.

These are the knots you tie yourself in when you start trying to cherry pick pieces of studies.

It was confirmed in the paper you dumped above and then disowned when it was pointed out to you it wasnt the anti vax piece you thought it was.

"Vaccine immunity, which wanes rapidly against infection, but is durable against severe COVID-19, regardless of variant."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Still up in my local Tesco, likely from prevention of knife attack or dispersal of AIDS during a transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish Mirror

Ireland's health officials have reported another rise in confirmed cases of the new JN.1 Covid variant.

On February 7, 832 cases of the strain were confirmed by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC).

One week on - on February 14 - it said that known infections have risen to 980, marking a 17.79% increase in seven days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

No it's not fair enough. Their who cares attitude is only spreading what they have when they're sick onto others.

Advertisement