Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Completely different scenario.

For one thing that happened in March 2020…

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

And?

Law takes from precedence, that’s how case law builds up, even where scenarios aren’t identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Where was the 3 people at a time instruction?

Thats odd that a shop is still doing that.

Btw I do also think a lot of law is an ass. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭phormium

It was a dry cleaners of all things, I was stopped in traffic jam outside and noticed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

My local Post Office still has a sign for no more than four in the premise at a time.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Is that to keep the workload more manageable though?

Who actually goes to the post office anymore? As in, who are the main customers?

I dont think I, or anyone I know, has set foot in one for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

@BlueSkyDreams Who actually goes to the post office anymore?

Pensioners collecting pension etc. Some people pay bills there.

I was there buying Christmas stamps booklets for an elderly relative.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

It get somewhere through maybe the WRC but again proving you contracted covid in work would be next to impossible anyway.

you probably narrow it down yourself but proving it is another matter. There is also that I’m aware of no legal requirement for a workplace to make sure you stay at home if displaying respiratory/covid symptoms.

I know in food service at least if you’ve got a vomiting bug or any infections whether that be the flu, skin infections or anything at all that might contaminate the food you are to be sent home immediately.

But I don’t think if you caught something while in work say from a co worker or even customer you’d have grounds to sue. I suppose if a chef say who was sick with covid prepared you food that you then got sick from maybe?

Now I think there would be a definite difference if you also developed complications from covid. But again it’s proving you definitely got it in work that’s going to make things pretty much impossible.

It’s a bit like trying to prove you got a bug from a particular cafe/restaurant or foodstuff. I remember donkeys decades ago my mother got what was probably a staph aureus infection from coleslaw from a certain supermarket. She developed vomiting within a couple of hours of consumption, limited diarrhoea, all over within 6 hours, but of weakness over 12 hours from dehydration. Classic Staph Aureus. She wore to supermarket giving full details of product, illness etc. her intention was to alert to production issues.,

She received a prompt thank you letter, a reassurance that a full investigation into processing lines would be done, a big hamper of food from supermarket supplier, and we made every bit of use of every item in those meagre days, before litigation became a thing. We got all Christmas ingredients out of that hamper!

The joy of simple rewards pre mass legislation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

How can it be difficult to prove if you are working with people who are clearly symptomatic? I'm not talking about a runny nose but anyone with cold or flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

In terms of case law, Irish courts only have a doctrine of precedent (stare decisi) for decisions made in Irish courts.

Beyond that, however you can cite / reference cases in other Common Law jurisdictions but the court is under no obligation to necessarily consider them beyond a reference to how somewhere else might have done things if it were particularly useful / relevant. They're absolutely not bound by any kind of precedent in those.

If you were to reference cases from a court that works in a Civil Law (civil code) system like Austria and pretty much the entire rest of the EU, it would be quite a difficult argument to make beyond just making a vague reference to it.

They would take precedent from European Court decisions, but not just random member state courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

So where do you go when you send letters, parcels etc? I do a bit of adverts and I'm in the post office regularly.

Also I believe people who collect pension, dole etc? I know not to go to the post office on Thursday morning 'cos there'll be a queue of them outside.

I dont send letters and rarely send a parcel, but if i did it would go via Amazon or a courier.

Dole and Pension still need to be collected in store?

I assumed they would be digital now, but I could well be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I've a cough I cannot get rid, negative covid test but feel my immune system is low after having bad covid in 2021

I think pensioners like the social interaction of going to the post office, chatting at the counter or in the queue

Most Social Welfare payments are all collection in the post office, but bank direct lodgements can arranged also

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lock up your lungs this festive season, the JN.1 "variant of interest" is on our streets. I wonder do Chadwicks have the masks for this beauty 🤔

It's been spreading for weeks. I knew they wouldn't report on it earlier because they want people out spending at Christmas.

COVID is similar to HIV. Maybe 2024 will be year people take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭GHendrix

On RTE today that there was no excess deaths during COVID. Not surprising really considering the number of underlying issues of those that died with COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And because we locked down and had restrictions, here and abroad and then vaccines... so that the health service was there to treat those who could pull through.

Between 2020 and 2022, OECD countries recorded an additional six million deaths compared to the years prior to the pandemic.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2024/0102/1424384-ireland-covid/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Very important to note, IRELAND had no excess deaths. Just like Norway and New Zealand.

other OECD countries had huge excess deaths.

The conclusion would seem to be that our policies worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭GHendrix

That’s not a conclusion that I’d jump to. Perhaps if our long and strict lockdowns had led to very low case numbers, then we could say that the policies worked and low cases resulted in no excess deaths.

But we had very high case numbers throughout. So our policies didn’t really stop the spread.

Sadly, in the majority of cases, those that died with Covid likely would have died without Covid.

Thankfully it’s over now and we can al move on.

It was never just about those who died, that canard has been discredited dozens of times already on the thread.

It was about managing hospitalizations, and case count was a factor of that - especially case count in vulnerable population.

It was about those who got covid and survived because hospital treatment was there for them - for covid and others. Those people in their 50s and 60s and 70s with vulnerable conditions.

We had very low case numbers of usual winter suspects such as flu because of covid restrictions, we (as in medical capacity) wouldn't have been able for flu and covid pre vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

those that died with Covid likely would have died without Covid.

That conclusion ignores the fact that other developed countries saw huge leaps in mortality of people aged less than 65, who would not "have died anyway".

Canada saw a 22% increase in mortality of people aged under 45. The USA, a 26% jump in that age group.

If you start looking at less developed OECD countries like Mexico and Colombia, the numbers are off the charts.

Whatever we did, it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What a surprise.. Information that was highlighted at the time by many but dismissed as conspiracy and disinformation now shown to be the case after all!

The comments under that post showing previous statements from the same outlet(s) is interesting too, as is the info on excess deaths since 2021 (some are linking it to vaccines but personally I'd put it more down to serious illnesses that weren't treated and appointments cancelled being the likely cause).

In any case, as many (including myself) said at the time, it looks as though there was a massive and disproportionate overreaction to the actual level of risk that was involved, and that maybe we should have indeed focused our efforts on those categories of people who were at real risk, and others who still needed care for other things, rather than locking away perfectly healthy people and trying to scare them into being afraid of everyone.

Better late than never I suppose, but 2 years of our lives that will I fear continue to be felt for many more to come.

What a surprise, you just repeated the same information posted earlier on the thread, repeating the same discredited canard.

The information presented in no way supports your falsehood.

And a rehash of the same impractical nonsense about protecting the vulnerable only, with absolutely zero practical steps as to how this could have been achieved while the virus was left unchecked in wider society.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Discredited? All I see is the same handful of people posting opinions that the actual evidence at the time and more recently shows the risk didn't really warrant the level of response by the Government.

You can keep claiming otherwise (and lashing out at those who don't agree with you) but that doesn't make it so!

Discredited by the actions of every major public health authority in the world.

Discredited by your complete inability to engage with the points made on the thread.

You jumped into the thread, reposting same information just discussed today, ignoring the points made rebutting the points you repeated, and "keep claiming otherwise" / "posting opinions" with absolutely zero evidence or anything of substance presented.

So you've got absolutely nothing, just the same discredited rehashed arguments.

Noted you were completely unable to offer up a counter argument to the specific points made - proof positive you know you have no real point, and immediately have to resort to playing the victim in your post.

And a rehash of the same impractical nonsense about protecting the vulnerable only, with absolutely zero practical steps as to how this could have been achieved while the virus was left unchecked in wider society.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,636 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unfortunately depression is a big problem in this country. People with depression cannot let go of the past.

Most ordinary, hard working people have forgotten about the lockdown and moved on enjoying their lives.Like they still remember it and joke about it and are thankful its over and done with but it doesn't affect their everyday lives in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,636 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anyway, masks back on in the hospitals, what's that about?

Advertisement