Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked TV shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭golfball37

PCros wrote: »
    Totally agree with this - like the US Office it's way better than the UK version. Not sure if it was ever shown in Ireland pre-Netflix but everyone should watch it now if they haven't as they have 9 of the 11 seasons up with season 10 coming soon.

Agree that Lip is an amazing character, keeping an eye out for future films/shows that Jeremy White is in.

RTÉ had it for first couple of years at a late hour I used record it and watch in batches at weekend.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

billyhead wrote: »
    Has anyone seen The Deuce and if so is it worth watching?

I thought it was great and well worth the time. There's a dedicated thread around here somewhere for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Murphy's Law. Cop show with James Nesbitt working undercover. It started out as quite a lighthearted show but became very gritty and dark as it went on.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408403/

Watched it again a few weeks ago. It’s fantastic stuff. A few episodes were filmed in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

billyhead wrote: »
    Has anyone seen The Deuce and if so is it worth watching?
    I really liked it. It's actually quite a fascinating look at how New York has become the city it is today from the hell-hole it was in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Industry was overlooked last year. I’ve seen worst. It was absolute filth and featured some great eye candy and was well shot and charismatically acted.

Also Lena Durham directed it but seemed to do zero publicity for it. Curious what happened there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

I really enjoyed the 3 seasons of Da Vinci's Demons.
    Definitely went under the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mackcracknsack

Friday night lights

• Registered Users Posts: 24,923 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The comedy Early Doors... great cast, set, storylines, acting, funny as....

Think it was a slow burning gem. Was a shame it didn’t get a longer run... absolutely loved John Henshaw as Ken....

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I never see it mentioned much in lists of recommended series but I really liked Get Shorty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Good Guys, finished a good few years ago now, but definitely was overlooked imo.
    Was a a lot cheesy, about a pair of cops that are relegated to the crap jobs. One of them bases his persona on a 70's cop. Likes drinking and not following rules.
    His partner makes sure to follow the rules for everything. Great soundtrack too.

Pen15 is something I watched recently, I think there is a new season coming out. I enjoyed it. Not the best thing that has ever been made, but enjoyable and seems to be overlooked. Pity.
    Based on 2 teenage girls growing up.

• Advertisement

Always wondered why 21 years ago.. Paths To Freedom only ran for one series, 6 episodes... it was hilarious...

8.4/10 on IMDb & 88% on google indicate how funny those who watched it believed it was...

Brilliant casting, acting and writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Strumms wrote: »
    Always wondered why 21 years ago.. Paths To Freedom only ran for one series, 6 episodes... it was hilarious...
    8.4/10 on IMDb & 88% on google indicate how funny those who watched it believed it was...
    Brilliant casting, acting and writing.

Sometimes it's hard to sustain \ repeat comedy like that... if you were going to do more episodes you'd have to dilute it, weaken it with sideplots etc.

Or maybe they weren't paying enough :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Sometimes it's hard to sustain \ repeat comedy like that... if you were going to do more episodes you'd have to dilute it, weaken it with sideplots etc.

Or maybe they weren't paying enough :)

Maybe...Could say that about any comedy.... they had a great blueprint.. characters, cast.....why not back yourself, ideas and make a success of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 britie

Loved "Southland" and in a similar vein currently running "The Rookie" and "Snowfall". Funnily enough all set in LA.
    Mystery Road, Oz cop drama excellent as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know why it was overlooked but Galavant was a fun comedy series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Slings & Arrows. It was a big hit in its native Canada but didn't seem to get much traction this side of the Atlantic.

A sparkling comedy drama set behind the scenes of a Shakespeare festival starring Paul Gross (Due South) and an early role for Rachel McAdams in season 1.

Actually flicked through the thread to see if this was mentioned :)

Perhaps the only show I’ve seen that gets better and better with each episode (with an allowance for reshuffling the pieces at the start of each new season). Back in the glory days of the AV Club’s TV coverage they did a run covering every episode, and it was a welcome prompt to check out a truly fantastic show. Something I must rewatch one of these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Has anyone watched the Blacklist?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Escape from Dannemora. Brilliant, and based on a true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

FrankN1 wrote: »
    Escape from Dannemora. Brilliant, and based on a true story.

Yeah I should have mentioned that. It’s of the best of recent years.

wadacrack wrote: »

Watched the first season it’s only ok imo. James Spader character is great but didn’t feel need to watch on to see how the underlying story progressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Spook80

Currently watching season 8 and for me its up there with the favourites.
    Love it!!

Like person of interest it's very Scooby Doo-ish, a brand new villain every week. I watched the first season of both then just didn't bother as it became very samey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Person of Interest started as case of the week but then turned more serialised

• Registered Users Posts: 85,478 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Burn Notice

Leverage (which is getting rebooted)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Would Bates Motel be considered overlooked? Watching at the moment and I'm enjoying it, I'm laughing loads at it at the whole creepy relationship with his mother.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Badly fukt wrote: »
    Like person of interest it's very Scooby Doo-ish, a brand new villain every week. I watched the first season of both then just didn't bother as it became very samey.
    'Person of Interest' took a big shift in the second season and became a very different show and by the end was completely serialised with some very interesting plot arcs. Became a much better show than the villain-of-the-week it started out with.
    Would Bates Motel be considered overlooked?
    We've had the most popular show of all time ('Baywatch') mentioned here as well as multiple shows with 5+ seasons and a clutch of awards so 'Bates Motel' is overlooked compared to half of them :pac: Good show too with two excellent leads.

ixoy wrote: »
    'Person of Interest' took a big shift in the second season and became a very different show and by the end was completely serialised with some very interesting plot arcs. Became a much better show than the villain-of-the-week it started out with.

Thanks for this. I'll try season 2 then so

Great News. May have been mentioned before. On Netflix, originally NBC, but cancelled after 2 years.

I started watching person of interest based on this thread. Whilst the premise is ridiculous it’s well executed and far better monster of week show than Blacklist. I like Jim Caveziel always wondered what happened to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

We started watching person of interest a few weeks back mainly cause we were told of a great episode in season 4 :D But really enjoying it so far, it's silly but fun.

Other shows, some already mentioned:
    - Friday Night Lights (everybody loves it after been recommended it).
    - Ted Lasso
    - Barry
    - Kim's Convenience
    - Signal
    - Dead Set (probably not overlooked, it's been a while, but a zombie TV show set in Big Brother house)
    - Kingdom (South Korean zombie show)

Advertisement